• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
If there's a Steam version why in the world would you willingly use the Windows Store? I've only ever purchased one game on the platform (Forza Horizon 4) and it worked without a hitch, but still... there's a reason people avoid it like the plague.
It's "free" if you have gamepass. That's the only reason

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's hit or miss. A lot can be solved by forcing windows updates and forcing app updates in the windows store app itself (primarily for the game services engine and Xbox beta app), but this isn't made apparent to the user. I had specific issues with halo 2 remaster, ended up being my Xbox app wasn't getting a required update from windows store. Once I resolved that, it all worked, but it's your traditional "if I just paid $40 on steam I have no issues" that seems to plague MS on PC
Yeah absolutely agree. I will say the MCC is in great shape compared to where it was. 343 has shown great commitment to righting the wrong and have been very upfront about what they are working on and what they still plan on working on. I play it on console almost everyday and it's been great and sometimes I can't believe I can still play halo 2 matchmaking

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I am on steam so it works, I have Killer Instinct for the MS store and main reason I haven't gone back to it, the app is trash, wish i could switch my MS version to steam..

I rebought KI on Steam just to stay away from the MS store. Never again.

Just a couple of days ago my father had to download a small authentication app from the MS store. The download reset twice before completing. It was just a few MB so it didn't matter much, but imagine if the same happened with a game like Gears 5.

ascii

Jan 5, 2018
I've had Gamepass a few months, and although the Xbox App is pretty good and Gamepass itself is great, the Windows Store is shockingly bad. Windows Store has killed the whole experience for me.

I've had so many issues with downloads that don't finish, error out, or download very slow.

Have tried plenty of configuration changes, and tried reinstalling the store, it always has issues.

I do wonder why it's so bad, considering downloading is at the core of any store. How have Microsoft not resolved this?

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
No issues here besides a crash once. It's been smooth sailing with the windows store for me. My current PC is a pretty fresh build and there isn't much in the way of other programs on there so idk if that matters or not.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
Back when I had Gamepass, stuff like this happened all the time.

Now own Halo MCC and KI on Steam, so much easier. Hope they fix Windows Store at some point.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Playing halo 2 on pc game pass in 4K 60fps enhanced on my big screen tv with kbm and it's running smooth with occasional fps dips ( not very many). Looks amazing. But yeah I have had issues and bugs with game pass several times before, just not mcc.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I gave up trying to get Halo 2 to work. Then when you uninstall MCC, the damn icon just sits there instead of disappearing!
So then you question if you uninstalled it, so you uninstall it again. When you change to show only installed games, it goes away. But the next time you start Game Pass, it's back again!! Stop forcing your icon on me lol

If I owned an Xbox I could see subbing to Game Pass, but on PC I'm done once my $1/Free subs run out. I find that the games don't even run as well as they do on other stores.

OP
OP
Era of not Yakuza
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I had to press resume again:
b5o1ytQ.png

2RvnqhW.png

Are you using the xbox beta app? Works fine for me.
The Xbox App uses MS Store anyway. It's just the MS Store dedicated to Gamepass.

fmkn9RZ.png

Last edited:

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
No problems with downloading 75gb of FH4, but Halo? Fuck you, puny gamepass user 😂
I got this today (after downloading 60gb)
2020-05-26_182848.png

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Windows Store and Xbox Store fucking suck

Only one detects that I own Forza Horizons 3, even though all of my other games exist. Why? Who the fuck knows, nobody ever knows Windows Store nonsense!

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
The Microsoft Store is probably the only reason Game Pass on PC is still in "beta". It's utter garbage and I hope team Xbox will find a way to fix it or go around it.

I had to redownload Minecraft Dungeons like 10 times before it finally worked. But then the download speed was awful bad, I had to switch between my landline (gigabit fiber) and my mobile tethering connection to keep up a good bandwidth. Atrocious experience really.

I changed my mind, I despise this store so fucking much. The Xbox love pop-up preventing me from doing anything as if it was a damn virus so I rebooted my computer and tried to launch the game again only to be met with this:
unknown.png

unknown.png

Clicking reinstall does nothing. And trying to load the app settings in windows just loads indefinitely.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
MS store being as unusable as it is has been an effective marketing strategy for them. They get to have games that are technically available on this amazing subscription service, but so inconvenient to use that they still get my full price purchase when I just opt for buying the Steam version.

Diablo Rosso

Apr 18, 2018
I've had this problem where it said it needed repairing but that did nothing so I had to redownload it. Luckily I didn't lose any progress or anything. Still, with this and Football Manager 2020 not working (I ended up buying the Steam version of that in the end), I will get the Steam versions on sale if possible. I wish Forza Horizon 4 was on Steam.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The Windows life.
At least you don't have to do an in place upgrade to do a reset now 😂

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
plenty have on here

and every thread on windows store sucking also has multiple, very helpful, 'dunno works for me' posts
Surely helpful to know if it is working for others. If it wasn't working for anyone then obviously no need for any further troubleshooting.

Would certainly be interesting why some have no issues whilst others have a nightmare. Only issue I've had was SoR4 not booting but that was a known issue and resolved with the latest update, everything else has been fine. But I only use my PC for couch gaming, nothing else whatsoever. So less chance for fucking things up with random software etc. Still think MS should ditch UWP for Game Pass PC as it is clearly hurting them. Needs a standalone app that doesn't rely on UWP. They did this for Teams.

Last edited:

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
Had no issues downloading on ms store when I played MCC on reach launch. But I have had issues in the past downloading forza or something. Would say it was paused but was still actually downloading or would then be stuck downloading and wouldn't pause or cancel unless I restarted my pc. Really annoying.

Deleted member 39353

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 1, 2018
The game will literally just sometimes not boot for me and gives me some dialogue box about installing some windows store thing. Then I try updating everything, googling different stuff, no dice. Then like a day later with absolutely nothing else done on my end, it works.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Nobody says this about the Windows Store, tbh.

I say that, because it's true. The Windows Store may not get quite as much ire as Epic, but at the end of the day, it's another prime example about why ecosystems matter and forcing PC gamers away from their preferred modality for obtaining and playing games is bullshit.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I say that, because it's true. The Windows Store may not get quite as much ire as Epic, but at the end of the day, it's another prime example about why ecosystems matter and forcing PC gamers away from their preferred modality for obtaining and playing games is bullshit.

I suggest you read the conversation you're responding to to get the right context because your response really has nothing to do with what I said.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I suggest you read the conversation you're responding to to get the right context because your response really has nothing to do with what I said.

I suggest you do the same. You were responding to a comment about people making the "it's just another launcher" argument to brush off legitimate concerns that people have about PC software ecosystems, and I'm arguing that Window Store has just as many sins on its hands as EGS does with that respect, if not so much the paid exclusivity. Point is, launchers and software ecosystems matter, for reasons exactly like the one in the OP. To Microsoft's credit, MCC is available on Steam so that's an option, but they literally just released a game yesterday that isn't, so people who have poor experiences with the Microsoft Store have no choice than to use "just another launcher".

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I suggest you do the same. You were responding to a comment about people making the "it's just another launcher" argument to brush off legitimate concerns that people have about PC software ecosystems, and I'm arguing that Window Store has just as many sins on its hands as EGS does with that respect, if not so much the paid exclusivity. Point is, launchers and software ecosystems matter, for reasons exactly like the one in the OP. To Microsoft's credit, MCC is available on Steam so that's an option, but they literally just released a game yesterday that isn't, so people who have poor experiences with the Microsoft Store have no choice than to use "just another launcher".

Nobody is making the 'it's just another launcher' argument here, and certainly not in this conversation. My response to the guy above was that the Windows Store technical issues are so prevalent that unlike the EGS, nobody is really making that point these days that the Windows Store is 'just another launcher'.

Then you proceed to lecture me about the failings of the Windows Store. How does that relate to what I said ?

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Steam users be like:
LiveRelievedBoilweevil-small.gif

It's kinda funny how all the recent MS releases that also came to Steam had less issues there.

If there's a Steam version why in the world would you willingly use the Windows Store? I've only ever purchased one game on the platform (Forza Horizon 4) and it worked without a hitch, but still... there's a reason people avoid it like the plague.

Gamepass I assume, but yeah, there's less issues on Steam.

MS store being as unusable as it is has been an effective marketing strategy for them. They get to have games that are technically available on this amazing subscription service, but so inconvenient to use that they still get my full price purchase when I just opt for buying the Steam version.

Same, but honestly I don't even mind paying extra to have it on Steam.

OP
OP
Era of not Yakuza
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
So here we are, 6 months later
I finally decided to buy MCC on Steam

Everything feels better here
EVERYTHING

Even the subtitles work better on Steam than Windows Store / Xbox App
seriously, it had a second/half a second delay to every sub but now it works flawlessly on Steam

One thing I don't know for sure is if the MCC had any update about handling what you wanted to install so I can't say if it's another + for steam or not
anyway, I choose what I wanted to play first, the download was really fast and I played shortly after.

The only reason I'm using Xbox App is because of Gamepass, I can only dream the day I will be able to use GP on Steam, just like EA Play

How is it possible to MS let their own games run better on another store??? This doesn't make any sense

hannuraina

Prophet of Truth
Jan 7, 2018
just started playing reach this week. hard crash to desktop every 30-40 minutes. reminds me of when mcc originally launched on xbox

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand the windows store.
It's broken. and has been for years.
Last month a friend wanted to play Age of Empires 2 with me.

They bought it on the windows store.
And firstly the download was incredibly slow and then it randomly restarted the download from the middle.

We couldn't play together that evening.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
So here we are, 6 months later
I finally decided to buy MCC on Steam

Everything feels better here
EVERYTHING

Even the subtitles work better on Steam than Windows Store / Xbox App
seriously, it had a second/half a second delay to every sub but now it works flawlessly on Steam

One thing I don't know for sure is if the MCC had any update about handling what you wanted to install so I can't say if it's another + for steam or not
anyway, I choose what I wanted to play first, the download was really fast and I played shortly after.

The only reason I'm using Xbox App is because of Gamepass, I can only dream the day I will be able to use GP on Steam, just like EA Play

How is it possible to MS let their own games run better on another store??? This doesn't make any sense

I just did the same thing yesterday because the Windows Store version of MCC decided not to launch when it was working okay for a few months. I absolutely dislike the Windows Store and will be buying my games on Steam going forward.

The Steam version of MCC loads faster and feels more responsive, doesn't hang when quitting/alt-tabbing to the desktop and actually installs/removes Halo games from within the client perfectly instead of just being junked up in a non-accessible folder or waiting for another download through the Microsoft Store to finish.

OP
OP
Era of not Yakuza
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I just did the same thing yesterday because the Windows Store version of MCC decided not to launch when it was working okay for a few months. I absolutely dislike the Windows Store and will be buying my games on Steam going forward.

The Steam version of MCC loads faster and feels more responsive, doesn't hang when quitting/alt-tabbing to the desktop and actually installs/removes Halo games from within the client perfectly instead of just being junked up in a non-accessible folder or waiting for another download through the Microsoft Store to finish.
Oh, I forgot to mention the loading speed. I used my ssd for both versions and steam was much faster. The game actually loads when the progress bar is completed. On Windows store I had to wait 30 seconds, sometimes 1 minute, after that to the game finally launch

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Oh, I did the same thing long ago when MCC first released on Steam or maybe first small sale. I can't handle large games on Windows Store. Between patches failing, games not cleaning up disk space and general crap, it's basically used as a "preview" for me or perhaps one time playthrough for some games.

I checked out Outer Worlds, Crusader Kings 3, Wasteland 3, etc... to help make up my mind on whether or not I want to own those games. Plus many indies and smaller titles usually work okish.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Oh, I forgot to mention the loading speed. I used my ssd for both versions and steam was much faster. The game actually loads when the progress bar is completed. On Windows store I had to wait 30 seconds, sometimes 1 minute, after that to the game finally launch

Yep! It's crazy how much better the game feels to me after a few hours of playing. I'm even thinking of just buying AoE 1/2/3 DE on Steam since they're on sale for $23!