• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Adahel

May 28, 2018
Spain
I have PS5 pre ordered but I live in Europe and it wont arrive until 19th, hopefully.

So, I finished Katana Zero recently (awesome game, great story and pixel art) and I'm almost finished The Messenger (I'm also loving it).

I ask you ERA for some games recommendations with gameplay and style (pixel art or not) similar to play while I'm waiting for the next gen.

Thank you in advance!

Oct 27, 2017
The Guacamelee games are excellent lite Metroidvanias with a great melee combat system. Really fun games with lots of character too. I like the first better but they're both worth checking out.

Velocity 2X is a sort-of-shmup, sidescrolling action game with an unbelievably good soundtrack. You spend about 2/3 of the time flying a top-down ship through mazes and battling enemies in space, then the other third dashing around levels collecting items and completing tricky platforming.

Apotheon is another lite Metroidvania which takes place in Greek mythology. The art style is made like ink drawings you'd see on the side of a vase and it has a really interesting setting, with cool weapons and lots of content.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
The Guacamelee games are excellent lite Metroidvanias with a great melee combat system. Really fun games with lots of character too. I like the first better but they're both worth checking out.

Velocity 2X is a sort-of-shmup, sidescrolling action game with an unbelievably good soundtrack. You spend about 2/3 of the time flying a ship through mazes and battling enemies in space, then the other third dashing around levels collecting items and completing tricky platforming.

Apotheon is another lite Metroidvania which takes place in Greek mythology. The art style is made like ink drawings you'd see on the side of a vase and it has a really interesting setting, with cool weapons and lots of content.

I will always remember Apotheon as that weird game that came out alongside Grim Fandango for PS4.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Cave Story +
Bleed 1/2
Dead Cells
Hollow Knight
Guacamelee 1/2
Rogue Legacy
Bloodstained, COTM and ROTN

OP
OP
Adahel

Adahel

May 28, 2018
Spain
Thanks for all the replies!!!

There are so good looking and interesting games on it. I filled my wishlist with them. I already played Ori 1, Mark of the Ninja and Gunpoint (all of them are very very good). I will start with Hollow Knight and Guacamelee because they are currently on my backlog. Also, really fell in love with the Hyper Light Drifter aesthetic, so beautiful.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
Blasphemous was a pretty cool 2-D souls-like metroidvania.

The soundtrack was awesome too.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Dead Cells is great and very replayable.

Breach%20animation.gif

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
Hollow Knight is the best of da best, also Ori, Cuphead, Spelunky. also enjoyed Bloodstained recently even thought the aesthetic is kinda eh at times

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Huntdown is what you need!

I've also really enjoyed Wallachia: Reign of Dracula this week.

Other than that, Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, Aggelos, Bloodstained and Blazing Chrome are ones I recommend a lot.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I really liked Lithium City. Short (about 2-3 hours) and sweet. Should be getting a free expansion sometime soon.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Not sure if it's what you want but whenever someone asks for a 2D indie title recommendation I have to say

Freedom planet

Awsome platformer with plenty of action

Reminds me of Sonic but it does its own stuff and has a great cast of characters, story, etc

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I don't know if it's considered 2D or not, but please check out Hades. It's top down isometric with 2D character art, and controls mostly like a 2D game. But more to the point, it's an incredible action game with addictive combat. It should definitely satisfy the itch. Dead Cells is also good and a lot of fun.

charlieman999

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Slain back from hell is another one i enjoyed, it is a difficult game and the combat and platforming are just competent but the pixel art is so good it is worth to give it a try.
store.steampowered.com

Slain: Back from Hell en Steam

Slain: Back from Hell. A heavy metal inspired arcade combat with puzzle elements and gore galore. Stunning visuals and true old school gameplay accompanied by the most metal soundtrack you've ever heard.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I have PS5 pre ordered but I live in Europe and it wont arrive until 19th, hopefully.

So, I finished Katana Zero recently (awesome game, great story and pixel art) and I'm almost finished The Messenger (I'm also loving it).

I ask you ERA for some games recommendations with gameplay and style (pixel art or not) similar to play while I'm waiting for the next gen.

Thank you in advance!
Guacamelee :)

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
If you're okay with something that does have some story elements to it, I really recommend Horace.

ss_eb5d856a35b94f676e1ba8f95979a00b31ae6513.1920x1080.jpg

It's a really British platformer with a nice cinematic presentation. I'm only a few hours into it but the whole game is so heartwarming and charming, and the platforming actually has some meat to it, as well.