• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Could you be friends with people you disagree with politically

• Yes

Votes: 345 21.2%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 202 12.4%
  • Depends

Votes: 806 49.4%
  • Never

Votes: 153 9.4%
  • We’d be “friends”

Votes: 125 7.7%

• Total voters

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
I think to an extent, yes. I have a few friends who are Republicans, and I obviously disagree with them. But it doesn't mean well instantly stop being friends.

However, even being a supporter of the GOP is hard to not care about. It really shows that we disagree fundamentally on policies that can hurt or help millions of human beings.

It also means supporting an incredibly racist, corrupt and authoritarian president. I don't really have the same respect for someone who thinks Trump is great, even if they're friends.

Your opinion?

Oct 31, 2017
At this point, I can't be friends with fascists no. Make no mistake, conservative Americans who are still onboard with everything, despite the explicit, consistent obvious terribleness of their position, then they are fascists.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe before GWB? But conservative politics are so hateful at their core I'm not friends with any Republicans now. And I'm happier than I've ever been.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
depends... like i put up with a bunch of bush supporters back in the day, but probably not any current conservatives.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I live in Japan where either you don't care about politics or you are likely conservative and I have plenty of friends, including my girlfriend, who fall into one of those categories. I am left-leaning and personally quite invested in politics but it is simply something we avoid talking about. Naturally the situation isn't quite as tense as it is in the US however.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking strictly about the US? Probably not, GOP is too deep in shit.

Worldwide is a mixed bag though.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Before Donald Trump was elected, yes to an extent. Even then, it was tenuous at best because of Bush 43. I have numerous Republicans that swear up and down not to support Trump, but will line up to vote for him in November. I can't tell you how many people I knew in high school that I've defriended on Facebook because they post pro-Trump crap.

So, the answer is no. After college, I became more liberal than during college.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
no, there are no redeeming qualities for someone who is a Republican

I barely even tolerate people who don't vote, at this point

I can get along just fine with people who are more or less liberal than I am

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If someone straight up says they support trump or the British conservative party you know he's not getting invited for a night out.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe in a world where "politics" isn't a code word for "Should we consider *insert marginalized group* as people too?"

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
For the most part, yes. A person's personality matters a lot. If they're the sort of person to constantly try to insert their politics into things, then no: And that goes for any ideology. Shit gets tiring and... it's boring.

But I have some conservative friends who I know not to get into it with; there are some light-hearted jabs now and then but we kinda just stay out of each other's way in that regard. Mind you, I don't live in the US and those friends are not Trump fans.

Not with fascists. With liberals, sure, I just avoid talking politics.

Yeah, I feel similarly.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
obviously depends on the topic, for instance if they still think it was a good thing that hillary won the primary in 2016 then no i cant be friends with them

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
In an administrative sense, yes. I can disagree with someone on how municipal funds in my city should be used regarding things like infrastructure and stormwater management. I could get along with someone if they just felt that government spending on things like the military-industrial complex were viable for world security and the like, even if I disagree.

I can't agree with someone who feels the government gets to define a woman's right to choose due to the feelings of religious people, or doesn't think a POC is the same class of citizen they are, or feels like their right to own a gun is more important than the lives of all the victims of gun violence every year.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
If they support Trump, no. If they oppose Trump, yes.

For the most part, the rest doesn't matter right now.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Yes, as long as they're not particularly political. If you're a Republican and don't spew QAnon conspiracy or tell me about all the things about Antifa that you're seeing on Fox News, then fine. If you tell me you're a Trump supporter then you can fuck right off though.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
UK so this would commonly be Brexit, immigration and TERF or racist bullshit. Needless to say; nope.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
it greatly depends

minutiae of political theory, sure, disagreements are fun and thought-provoking, but in my country "are black people equals" is considered a fucking political opinion

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Like Trump's brand was acting like this 'macho...' bully, that person supporting that is proud of being an arse hole.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the views, and whether or not they respectfully disagree with me instead of going nuts with name calling and hostilities.

Going "I think out of these problems, we should focus on solving these problems first" is fine.

Going "lol you stupid libtard. You and your ilk should go back to your home country" is a no.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and I am.

Though these days I have a really hard time with my parents, who I consider victims of a cult.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what we disagree on. What's right and what rights are? No. Best ways of achieving similar objectives? Yes.

Oct 27, 2017
"Disagree with politically" is too open-ended. That's a range that includes people I disagreed with in the democratic primaries (yes, I'm friends with many of these folks) and unrepentant Trump supporters (who can go kick rocks).

When so many people consider the existence or acknowledgement of queer/black lives to be "political,' it makes it really easy to sort out the people worth keeping around from the jerks.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
One of my best friends is a conservative. He doesn't like Trump but at the same time he doesn't agree with Biden. I do everything I can to avoid talking politics.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Politics have become far too polarizing and divisive. If they even hint at identifying as supporters of the GOP, theres no point in even asking about their stance on social issues. Hell, I probably wouldnt speak to anyone that still says they are conservative but doesnt like Trump.

tormented

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I used to be pretty staunchly libertarian, and have a few co-workers who lean that way that I get along with. Trump stanning, on the other hand, is just exhausting at this point. Even if Trump wasn't a sociopath, I dunno if I could ever be friends with someone who worships a politician