• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Side-load Windows. Will prob never happen cause it'd piss of the entire hardware industry.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Some sort of exclusivity deal to lock down madden/fifa on game pass and launch a month before ps5 would be huge.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Or not. They just spent 7.5 billion. MS doesn't have unlimited funds to spend on their gaming division.
MS as a company is worth currently 1.5 trillion. Satya Nadella seems to be behind Phil's vision for the Xbox team and the Xbox team seem to have been promoted to one of their main divisions when Phil was promoted and discussed the need for investment and change of strategy. I think MS likely will still look to pick up maybe one last big player and that will likely be the teams MS will run with for the generation.

Some sort of exclusivity deal to lock down madden/fifa on game pass and launch a month before ps5 would be huge.

With the recent EA Play service being integrated into Game Pass Ultimate, I could see EA Play Pro being offered on Xbox for an extra $2 a month or something which like the PC version will offer early access to their games (but for a longer time period - maybe two weeks?)

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
"We just bought Nintendo, Naughty Dog, and the rights to the name PlayStation, are you not entertained?"

I always wondered why Nintendo doesn't own the PlayStation name. They paid Sony to make the PlayStation and despite not releasing they should own what work was done during that time including the name.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think their next announcement should be scooping up a big third party game like Assassin's Creed for launch on Game Pass. Please? haha

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
MS as a company is worth currently 1.5 trillion. Satya Nadella seems to be behind Phil's vision for the Xbox team and the Xbox team seem to have been promoted to one of their main divisions when Phil was promoted and discussed the need for investment and change of strategy. I think MS likely will still look to pick up maybe one last big player and that will likely be the teams MS will run with for the generation.

With the recent EA Play service being integrated into Game Pass Ultimate, I could see EA Play Pro being offered on Xbox for an extra $2 a month or something which like the PC version will offer early access to their games (but for a longer time period - maybe two weeks?)

haha, that figure is for the entire business. Games make up a small proportion of that. Now it is obvious they want to become the netflix, etc of gaming, which is why they are putting up this type of investment. But they have to make that back...the more they spend, the longer it is going to take to make any kind of profit.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
I say free game pass for everyone from launch to end of year.
All bethesda games will be on game pass, so the killer app for launch is Doom?

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017

If you're subbed to EA play, you get the 10% discouint right? I'm wondering if you'll also get the GP discount, however much it was. Imagine Fifa being 20-30% cheaper on XSX/XSS.

ArmadilloGame

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Or not. They just spent 7.5 billion. MS doesn't have unlimited funds to spend on their gaming division.

While true, they have far more than $7.5 billion. As of this morning, Netflix is worth $208.3 billion. That is entirely off of being the first actor in the subscription tv streaming market. Video games are still growing as an industry- they are taking up a bigger and bigger percent of the overall entertainment market every year. Locking down market leadership in the way that medium is going to be presented in the long term is absolutely worth huge investment now. We can argue the consumer friendliness of this move, but it is pretty clearly a smart move for Microsoft, a $1.5 trillion company with about $140 billion in liquid asset piggy bank to spend when they see an investment that they think will pay off in the long term.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
they just did.....
they just acquired the largest private video game company on the planet (pretty sure everything else of that size is public)

Edit: other than Epic, Epic is definitely even bigger than Bethesda, oops

Last edited:

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
I hope they buy From Software, WB games, Blizzard from Activision and CDPR next. Go all in on the fact that you need Gamepass to play games. Then raise the price of Gamepass to $30 a month a year from now. People will stay subscribed.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is obviously all-in on Game Pass (and the Gaming Services division as a whole). $7.5 billion is a lot of money, but relatively speaking it isn't that much for Microsoft.

Cash and cash equivalents 13,576
Short-term investments 122,951
Total cash, cash equivalents, and short-term investments $136,527

This information is from the balance sheet on Microsoft's most recent 10-K filing... and it's in millions of dollars. So you're looking at roughly $140 billion cash equivalents on hand, which doesn't even include other assets or leverage from borrowing.

Satya Nadella wouldn't give Phil Spencer this sort of financial horsepower unless he too was 100% supportive of this aggressive expansion of the Gaming Services division. And if he's willing to do this much, the sky is the limit for that as far as I can tell.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Buying Bungie would be cool. But I think they've tried to no avail. I don't see what else. Can't really tell them they don't have exclusive potential anymore after today. Their BC program is fantastic. And the console provides some serious bang for your buck. I think they'll do fine this gen.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Announce Killer Instinct 2+, which includes the original game upgraded, all the characters ported to the new sequel/season, and the formation of a stable studio to support the product for the entirety of the generation.

Create / Revive a classic-style JP developer.

Splinter Cell and Blinx!

Some first party, stylish Puzzle, Rhythm, or Topdown shooter games...

New Sunset Overdrive?

I'm sure there's a lot they could still do, if they like...

They could announce Lost Odyssey 2. That would be great.

Yes. Really, there's so much that could be done with another JP group offering something on a FF level. Xbox having something to sit between FF and Xenoblade would be great. Heck, helping fund Sega to make a new, SP focused Phantasy Star that bring in all the right creators and talent would be a Megaton.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't someone hint that MS was spending a lot of money on something that wasn't an acquisition?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Phil Spencer about to swoop in and grab Take Two

Status
Not open for further replies.