• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
As an RPG fan, I can't help but fucking smile when I look at the potential output of RPGs that Xbox will be publishing.

Bethesda Game Studios- Fallout, ES, and Starfield
inXile Entertainment- Wastland, NEW RPG IP
Obsidian Entertainment- Outerworlds, Avowed
Playground Games- Fable

Phil just one stuido for JRPGs and your good. The diversity across Xbox studios is nuts TBH.

Sep 7, 2020
Yeah its kind of crazy when you think about it now. You're correct OP, I think a studio for JRPG would be the next move. Otherwise, the potential there but they need to deliver in the future.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
If they they gave obsidian fallout and let Bethesda work on Elder Scrolls(and Starfield) we may get these games every 5 years instead of every ten.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Microsoft was always big on WRPGs from the start of the Xbox to the early days of the 360.

The Xbox One was lacking first party-wise, but with Obsidian, InXile, Playground, and now Bethesda, they've got a monopoly on the genre.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'm so excited to see Avowed, and I hope that bit of what looked like in-engine footage at the very end of the teaser trailer, is representative of the visual fidelity.

Playground's Fable is also obviously exciting, though I was disappointed it wasn't far enough along to show more than a quick CG teaser.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They pretty much own the entire WRPG genre now. There's nothing left for anyone else.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
This is a double-edged sword; studios as big as Microsoft buying out other game developers makes them have more power over those developers which is bad for video games from an artistic perspective and also makes them more monopolistic.

I'd rather them not aquire any more and instead just focus on re-releasing older Microsoft JRPGs: namely Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, and Blue Dragon, but also Shin Megami Tensei Nine if at all possible.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Let inXile make a CRPG Fallout spin-off series, as a nod to the fact that inXile and Obsidian created Fallout, and that it used to be isometric.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wRPG is really good, but I'm missing JRPG

I really hate exclusivity but I really don't want Sony to get Square-Enix (which may be a wise decision) and me getting locked out of Final Fantasy and whatever else Squenix has cooking up.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Bethesda's games are indeed console exclusive to Xbox then it's THE platform for western style RPGs

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Yep, let's see which kind of games they release. So far Avowed is a promising concept, but I hope they let Obsidian develop some isometric classic CRPGs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.