• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They never should have touched it, and wrote their own story in the universe.

The story imo ended in a great way with the original trilogy.

I don't like the prequels, but I don't mind them because it expanded the universe. What came after it detracted from the universe, made it smaller. We could have gone so many places.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
VnQ2CNW.gif

Even if you want to ignore the ST, from George Lucas in 2008:

"The movies were the story of Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker, and when Luke saves the galaxy and redeems his father, that's where that story ends."

"The Clone Wars' is a lot of fun for me, because in the normal course of the Skywalker saga, what happened during the Clone Wars is never told -- we see a little of the beginning and a little of the end, but other than that, it's skipped over."

And in Return of the Jedi itself:

LURE: I've accepted the truth that you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father.

VADER: That name no longer has any meaning for me.

LUKE: It is the name of your true self. You've only forgotten.
If you were to ignores the ST, certainly you would take the next logical step and similarly ignore the equally damaging Prequels as well. Looking at the OT, Luke is a small part of it and only he even tries to get at the concept that Vader's true self is Skywalker.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I swear, no one even called it the skywalker saga until Episode 9's marketing.

Like, there was a sort of acknowledgement that Episodes 1-6 were all about the family drama of this one little family unit, yes, but it was mainly brought up as a criticism - that in this story about Star Wars, meant to encompass all sorts of people, it kept circling around the Skywalkers and it was limiting. The Last Jedi was noted as an attempt to make it NOT the Skywalker saga, confirming Rey as someone who was not part of this lineage.

It's Episode 9 that went all in with the "Yeah, yeah yeah, this is 100% about the fucking Skywalkers, awesome right?!"

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
The ending to the Skywalker saga is the kid looking up to the stars at the end of TLJ, dreaming that he will become the next Luke Skywalker, whose miraculous stand against the First Order inspires the downtrodden people of the galaxy to rise up and defeat them.

It's a shame we never got a conclusion to Kylo Ren and Rey's story but there seems to have been some sort of strange black hole of shit that popped up right where Episode IX was supposed to be.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Best thing about Return is they clearly kill all the villains and they can never come back only the remains of empire Moffs but they just cannibalise each other.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I swear, no one even called it the skywalker saga until Episode 9's marketing.

yeah it's purely a marketing/branding creation. but on the other hand at some point - assuming we'll get "saga" movies forever - they'd invariably deal with the skywalker bloodline dying off so it's one way to deal with it, i suppose

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I love Return of the Jedi so much. People seem to think it's the worst of the original trilogy and that the Jabba's Palace stuff is the worst part of it, but I honestly enjoy it. The little chat between Luke and Han after they meet again was fantastic and it really shows how much Luke has grown - he was once just a farm boy but now look at him, walking up to the biggest crime boss in the galaxy in a dope black suit, demanding the release of his friends like he owns the place.

The movie epitomises the fairy tale ending, with good triumphing over evil, love overcoming hate and the ideal that anyone who wants to be saved - as Vader did - deserves to be. He had resigned himself to his fate, believing it was too late for him, but Luke never gave up on him and that kind of optimism might seem "childish" to our more cynical worldview today but I still appreciate it.

I like to think, after Return of the Jedi, the heroes got their happily ever after. We don't need to know what happens next. As far as we're aware the galaxy was largely at peace for a thousand years before Palpatine took away everything in a single night. There's no reason why the galaxy couldn't be relatively peaceful for another thousand years thanks to the efforts of the Rebellion.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
ynDeKSk.gif

Why would anyone post this to back up any argument ever?
Its almost offensive how bad an idea it was to shop Hayden into this scene.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
ynDeKSk.gif

Why would anyone post this to back up any argument ever?
Its almost offensive how bad an idea it was to shop Hayden into this scene.

They didn't even bother to match up the eyeline. I can picture George looming over some poor VFX artist's shoulder as they trawl through footage of Hayden's costume test, George picks out the most useless snippet of him doing an evil stare in the wrong direction and the poor sap is forced to paste it onto a classic film while George hurries back to his office to carry on writing Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men.

Oct 30, 2017

Like, there was a sort of acknowledgement that Episodes 1-6 were all about the family drama of this one little family unit, yes, but it was mainly brought up as a criticism - that in this story about Star Wars, meant to encompass all sorts of people, it kept circling around the Skywalkers and it was limiting. The Last Jedi was noted as an attempt to make it NOT the Skywalker saga, confirming Rey as someone who was not part of this lineage.

It's Episode 9 that went all in with the "Yeah, yeah yeah, this is 100% about the fucking Skywalkers, awesome right?!"

yeah i'm not sure how to post screenshots but just search for it on google trends. no-one ever used the phrase until well after the last jedi was out, when searches for the phrase skyrocketed.

sure lucas said it off-hand once, because it works as a description, but that doesn't mean it was a Thing.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
return of the jedi weird backlash is probably one of the silliest things i remember since ever (star wars-related). Incredible start and the strongest conclusion of any sw movie. It's just a damn shame lucas had no idea what to do with solo after he got rescued, but everything else is a beautiful unique journey.

this is how you end an adventurous saga
star_wars_return_of_the_jedi_ending_1433120-768x328.jpg

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the people talking about TFA and TLJ: technically they weren't made as part of the "Skywalker Saga".

The "Skywalker Saga" wasn't a thing until TROS. Before TROS, TFA and TLJ were simply part of a Star Wars trilogy with Rey as the protagonist. It is only after TROS that the context was changed (retconned).

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
For the people talking about TFA and TLJ: technically they weren't made as part of the "Skywalker Saga".

The "Skywalker Saga" wasn't a thing until TROS. Before TROS, TFA and TLJ were simply part of a Star Wars trilogy with Rey as the protagonist. It is only after TROS that the context was changed (retconned).
Facts.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
return of the jedi weird backlash is probably one of the silliest things i remember since ever (star wars-related). Incredible start and the strongest conclusion of any sw movie. It's just a damn shame lucas had no idea what to do with solo after he got rescued, but everything else is a beautiful unique journey.

this is how you end an adventurous saga
star_wars_return_of_the_jedi_ending_1433120-768x328.jpg

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

👏

👏 👏 👏

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Too saccharine. Too much stuff hobbled together to finish the story so quickly. The older I get the more obviously out-of-place it is with IV and V (mostly tonally). Had to get those toy sales!

"Skywalker saga" was used for the prequels I'm pretty sure.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Too saccharine. Too much stuff hobbled together to finish the story so quickly. The older I get the more obviously out-of-place it is with IV and V (mostly tonally). Had to get those toy sales!

"Skywalker saga" was used for the prequels I'm pretty sure.

No it wasn't. The tagline for Episode 3 was "The Saga is complete"

The obsession with the Skywalker last name started with TROS.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The space battle and the Death Star II confrontation alongside the victory celebration (not Yub Nub) make up for the really bad parts of Return of the Jedi, like Leia randomly being selected as Luke's sister and Endor in general. It is very satisfying and makes me kinda sad knowing that all their lives are ruined thirty years later.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The space battle and the Death Star II confrontation alongside the victory celebration (not Yub Nub) make up for the really bad parts of Return of the Jedi, like Leia randomly being selected as Luke's sister and Endor in general. It is very satisfying and makes me kinda sad knowing that all their lives are ruined thirty years later.
Thirty (30) years is quite a long time

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. He never used it in writing.

Unlike Disney's marketing when Ep. IX arrived.
Lucas again referring to it as the Skywalker saga:

"The interesting thing about the Clone Wars is that in the normal course of the six STAR WARS films that tell the Skywalker saga..."

It's the stupidest thing when people act like it wasn't the Skywalker saga until the marketing for TROS when I-VI were about Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker and Kathleen Kennedy extremely early on made the distinction between the anthology films and the saga films focusing on the Skywalkers.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Now this is a reach if I have ever seen one.

George Lucas comment =/= A full marketing campaign that re brands the series
Again, it's been the Skywalker saga since at least the prequels. Attempting to argue otherwise is just stupid. It was marketing as simply the Star Wars saga on box sets since the six movies was all there was, then when TCW came along George referred to the six movies as the Skywalker saga and Kathleen Kennedy has said the episodic movies focus on the Skywalker family saga since 2015.

This notion that it wasn't the Skywalker saga until TROS marketing decided it was is the most bizarre thing.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
ROTJ gets a lot of shit for stuff like the Ewoks but it has a number of high points in the franchise and I regard the Throne Room Duel as the best scene in the entire franchise.
Agreed in full. The journey Luke goes through is the A plot of the original trilogy and is the standout thread, all the other stuff be damned, it really comes to a full and beautiful boil here.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Again, it's been the Skywalker saga since at least the prequels. Attempting to argue otherwise is just stupid. It was marketing as simply the Star Wars saga on box sets since the six movies was all there was, then when TCW came along George referred to the six movies as the Skywalker saga and Kathleen Kennedy has said the episodic movies focus on the Skywalker family saga since 2015.

This notion that it wasn't the Skywalker saga until TROS marketing decided it was is the most bizarre thing.

No, what's stupid was pretending this saga was all about the last name Skywalker after a movie that built to break that cycle and push the saga further.

Kennedy rebranding the saga that way is just the exhibit A of the cowardice shown by The Rise of Skywalker.

The whole rebranding reeked of desperation to pander to nostalgia and a safe buzzword, and that's what people call out.

Your silly fight to pretend the movies have always been called that because theyve always been about Skywalker are just you pretending the dislike is about something it's not.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
No, what's stupid was pretending this saga was all about the last name Skywalker after a movie that built to break that cycle and push the saga further.

Kennedy rebranding the saga that way is just the exhibit A of the cowardice shown by The Rise of Skywalker.

The whole rebranding reeked of desperation to pander to nostalgia and a safe buzzword, and that's what people call out.

Your silly fight to pretend the movies have always been called that because theyve always been about Skywalker are just you pretending the dislike is about something it's not.
I don't know what you're trying to argue at this point. The saga movies made by George Lucas were about the Skywalker family and Kathleen Kennedy from the beginning chose to focus VII-IX on the continuation of that Skywalker saga. Whether formally or informally, it's been the Skywalker saga for decades.

Totally getting off topic though which is about Episode VI being a good conclusion to the Skywalker saga.

Last edited:

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
To me the ST was a decent sequel story, I liked TFA well enough and while accepting its faults I think TLJ is a great film. I was a bit worried as to where they could/would go from there, and my heart sank when I first saw the words "Skywalker Saga" during the buildup to Rise of Skywalker...

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Yws either ROTJ end or TLJ end is perfect

TLJ ending is Luke achieving self realisation and peace whilst inspiring the common folk of the galaxy to rise

TROS should have been about a peoples rebellion

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
It was a great ending to the saga, I loved Luke's force-ghost maneuver, such a creative display of pacifism and power to get his friends out of a jam. The last scene with the slaves talking about Luke's sacrifice is a great commentary on myth-making and how stories turn into legends that can inspire the next generation.

It's a bit open-ended since we don't know Kylo and Rey's fate but if 8 Star Wars movies taught us anything is that the light and the dark will always be at odd, that's the balance.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whenever Sheev isn't on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Sheev?"

Bring back the Sheev Rey, as I did.

Find the Sheev

Every Sheev who ever lived lives in you

The Sheev surrounds you Rey

Let it guide you, as it guided us

Feel the Sheev, flowing through you

Let it lift you

In the heart of a Sheev lies her strength

Rey... the Sheev will be with you.. always.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Bring back the Sheev Rey, as I did.

Find the Sheev

Every Sheev who ever lived lives in you

The Sheev surrounds you Rey

Let it guide you, as it guided us

Feel the Sheev, flowing through you

Let it lift you

In the heart of a Sheev lies her strength

Rey... the Sheev will be with you.. always.

While Rey was getting a pep talk from all the dead Jedi, Sheev was just running through a Greatest Hits of Sheev-isms inside his own head. A never-ending barrage of "DEW IT" and "UNLLLLLLIMITED POWER" and "I AM THE SENATE".