• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 15, 2017
So how did the Skynet T-800 have the time and place location for an alternative future Legion made REV-9 so that Sarah Connor could be there for the assist?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else think the text messages Sarah was getting would be from parallel time line Jon Connor?

Oct 27, 2017
So how did the Skynet T-800 have the time and place location for an alternative future Legion made REV-9 so that Sarah Connor could be there for the assist?

I may have missed something on that as well, but it's more than likely just time travel shenanigans that really can't be explained easily. If I were to attempt it, you could make an argument that it would probably know that time and date Skynet would've used, and even though it's now Legion, perhaps it still selected that same time and date.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
It was a fucking terrible narrative decision that set me against this movie. I'm sick of having heroes torn down to prop other ones up. It rendered the whole struggle of T2 meaningless. I can't believe Cameron signed off on that after his problem with Alien 3 doing the same thing.

But, independent of what I thought about it from a creative standpoint, I will say the de-aging tech itself was very impressive.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
some salty ass posters in here

T2 is my wife's second favorite movie of all time. (Godfather #1) We both liked this and thought it was good. Some cheese but great action and not up it's own ass. Grace was a great character and Sarah was fucking awesome. Loved John as a kid but I'm ok with them moving on. The horse was dead years ago. John's character isnt the center of the terminator series. Sarah is.

My wife thought the opener was cut footage from #2 it was done so well. Other than Linda being a bit extra beefy I agreed.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
T2 never looked like it was shot on the set of Days of Our Lives, so I don't get people thinking it was deleted footage from T2.

The cinematography on the whole in this film was godawful.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
OP went in a different direction than I thought it was going. I saw the movie this afternoon and am generally not great with noticing tech-related issues, but I thought all the characters in the de-aging scene looked awfully fake and very CG-ey. And I say that as someone who didn't have an issue with the tech in Gemini Man save for the last scene.

edit: Looking through this thread, I guess I'm a minority. I'm not sure if it helped or hindered that I saw it in IMAX, but I thought Arnold looked the least conspicuous out of the three, perhaps because I think he was wearing sunglasses that obscured his face from what I recall. John and Sarah, especially when they were both emoting, seemed like pretty glaring CG to me.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Forget plot holes. The characters were poorly written.

The problem with the premise of the opening scene is that it undoes Sarah's character development in T2. Just so we can have a T2-era Sarah back again. But even then, she's lost almost all of her vulnerability from T2 outside of the single scene on the log.

They did to Sarah what they did to John McClane in every post-Vengeance movie. They sucked the humanity out of her character.

Oct 31, 2017
Are we gonna admit the fact that killing a young John Connor creates a time paradox? If he's killed when he's young how is he able to grow up and send Kyle Reese back to the past to get conceived in the first place? I would have no issues with them replacing John Connor if their method of replacing him didn't create a paradox. This movie just has a lot of shitty writing.

The problem with the premise of the opening scene is that it undoes Sarah's character development in T2. Just so we can have a T2-era Sarah back again. But even then, she's lost almost all of her vulnerability from T2 outside of the single scene on the log.

They did to Sarah what they did to John McClane in every post-Vengeance movie. They sucked the humanity out of her character.
I totally agree with you. Sarah's character was just horribly written in this movie.

Last edited:

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

This and the exposition were my beefs with the film. No arc just action. Still felt leagues above what we were getting with the series.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Timeline should have always remained a closed loop story about a family that pushed each other forward without ever being whole.

T1: Sarah lead, Reese supporting.
T2: John lead, Sarah supporting.
T3: Reese lead, John supporting.

The relationship between Reese and John had a lot worth mining in the right hands. The future holocaust should have always been the last film that ended with Reese getting sent back.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Wait wasn't the T800 sent for Sarah and the T1000 sent to kill John. Why not send a T1000?

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there was any reason to have John, Sarah and Arnie in this film. It was obviously just for the fan service. They should have just left them out instead of pissing off the fan base by having worse versions of those characters. They needed to have Dani as the new leader so they lazily had John killed off.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Movie was bad but after 3 bad movies I'm numb to it all now.

It feels like they just got good at making bad movies now.

Anyways it's watchable which I can't say for the last movie

Oct 31, 2017
Timeline should have always remained a closed loop story about a family that pushed each other forward without ever being whole.

T1: Sarah lead, Reese supporting.
T2: John lead, Sarah supporting.
T3: Reese lead, John supporting.

The relationship between Reese and John had a lot worth mining in the right hands. The future holocaust should have always been the last film that ended with Reese getting sent back.
Exactly my sentiments. I don't know why they never did this, instead we got these terrible sequels after T2. There was so much potential in the story department if they went to the future to show us how Reese lived and survived in the future to eventually get sent back to the past. Genisys and Salvation sort of teased that but the creators of those films were too incompetent and dumb to actually see the potential in going that route for a Terminator sequel.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
T1000 was an advanced prototype. Unfinished. We already know that the T800 sent in 1984 was a last-ditch effort by a losing Skynet. The T1000 was an even bigger last-ditch hail-Mary.

The actual reason is T2 retconned Kyle Reese's line where he says "Nobody else comes through. It's just him and me". T2 had to raise the stakes since it was a sequel so they ignored that line and had a more powerful Terminator sent back.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
So basically the t800 sacrifice in t2 was useless... if he had stayed nothing bad would have happened. He may have even helped....

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Are we gonna admit the fact that killing a young John Connor creates a time paradox? If he's killed when he's young how is he able to grow up and send Kyle Reese back to the past to get conceived in the first place? I would have no issues with them replacing John Connor if their method of replacing him didn't create a paradox. This movie just has a lot of shitty writing.

I totally agree with you. Sarah's character was just horribly written in this movie.

T2 didn't create a paradox? How does John send Kyle back post T2 if Sarah and John stopped Skynet from bring made? If we're being serious T1 should really just be a stand-alone film that has a closed loop.

Oct 31, 2017
T2 didn't create a paradox? How does John send Kyle back post T2 if Sarah and John stopped Skynet from bring made? If we're being serious T1 should really just be a stand-alone film that has a closed loop.
You're right, T2 created a paradox which is why I always believed that Sarah and John failed in their mission to stop Skynet but they didn't know. The way T2 ended without actually showing the future made it seem like the fact they failed was sort of implied. Which is why I would have liked a T3 following Kyle Reese and John as they fight to get to the time machine to send Reese back but instead we got that shitty 2003 T3 movie lol.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
You're right, T2 created a paradox which is why I always believed that Sarah and John failed in their mission to stop Skynet but they didn't know. The way T2 ended without actually showing the future made it seem like the fact they failed was sort of implied. Which is why I would have liked a T3 following Kyle Reese and John as they fight to get to the time machine to send Reese back but instead we got that shitty 2003 T3 movie lol.

I think T1 was made as a stand-alone movie in mind so Cameron had no choice but to retcon some stuff if he wanted to make the sequel the way he did. He just gets a pass because T2 is so brilliant.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018

paradoxes dont exist. you create alternate timelines, different flows of time. the idea of time paradoxes was always weird. like, how do we even expect it to work? you go through time, change something and the entire past - people, materials, buildings, events,memories, they just shift out of reality like hitting a switch ? That will still exist of course. You changing shit makes a new timeline.

That means every movie is for nothing :o

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I'm still shocked so many people are against it, even here we have "John deserved so much better.." Did you guys see T3, salvation, genisys? John Connor as a character was completely assassinated long before this movie ever had the audacity to do it.

In the last film we literally had him become a Terminator because there was no where else to take the character but straight into the ground, I think it was clearly the right decision to move away from it, both because it makes sense in a world where you can change the future, and because there was nothing interesting left to do with the character.
People liked Edward Furlong as John Connor. People had no attachment to the other actors playing John.

Oct 31, 2017
I think T1 was made as a stand-alone movie in mind so Cameron had no choice but to retcon some stuff if he wanted to make the sequel the way he did. He just gets a pass because T2 is so brilliant.
I agree. T2 Is one of the greatest sequels ever made so it often gets a pass from fans.

Another weird detail in this movie is that Army Major that was helping Sarah. Who is he and where does he disappear to in the movie. I was kinda hoping he was Miles Dyson's son from T2 but they never explained who he was. Was he killed during the plane fight? He just sort of disappears during the movie lol.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
paradoxes dont exist. you create alternate timelines, different flows of time. the idea of time paradoxes was always weird. like, how do we even expect it to work? you go through time, change something and the entire past - people, materials, buildings, events,memories, they just shift out of reality like hitting a switch ? That will still exist of course. You changing shit makes a new timeline.

If the future isn't set why would skynet bother sending Terminators back to kill the saviours? There's no guarantee they would succeed anyway. The plot only makes sense if it's a closed loop.

Oct 31, 2017

I've always viewed it as time paradoxes existing in movies but not existing in real life. The idea of traveling to the past breaks all known laws of physics and reality but I always thought we create the idea of paradoxes so that time traveling to the past makes sense to our little human brains.

Honestly the T1 and T2 movies should have been just one large closed time loop. I was felt that the story should have been that even though Sarah and John thought they were changing the future, they were ultimately setting the events for the future without realizing it. The future should always take place no matter how hard they try to change it in the past otherwise John ceases to exist.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My jaw was on the floor for that opening scene. I don't know how they did it. Fantastic movie.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Just thinking the opening doesn't make sense, so Skynet just randomly flings w load of terminators through time?

The first two it seemed very methodical, send one back, fail, try again with a prototype, fail: Skynet erased past T2. This one now seems to indicate that Skynet just flung terminators left and right through space and time hoping one would succeed? If that's the case, why not just fling all the Terminators to 1984?

Mokujin

Oct 31, 2017
Is this movie actually...good? The last two were meh and a trash fire respectively.

The movie is terrible, I really thought it was impossible to make a Terminator movie worst than Genisys but this movie proved me wrong.

we've been getting some good digital deaging lately and the cgi team did a good job here, but it's a silly start plot wise for the movie

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
Just thinking the opening doesn't make sense, so Skynet just randomly flings w load of terminators through time?

The first two it seemed very methodical, send one back, fail, try again with a prototype, fail: Skynet erased past T2. This one now seems to indicate that Skynet just flung terminators left and right through space and time hoping one would succeed? If that's the case, why not just fling all the Terminators to 1984?

The story as a whole make no sense. So, one of the T-800s kills John, which eventually leads to Skynet never existing and the creation of Legion by a military contractor.
Yet, the T-800 has memories (or data) of Skynet from a future that never existed, defeating the whole purpose of time-travel.

What a mess

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The movie is terrible, I really thought it was impossible to make a Terminator movie worst than Genisys but this movie proved me wrong.

we've been getting some good digital deaging lately and the cgi team did a good job here, but it's a silly start plot wise for the movie

You must be out of your mind if you think Dark Fate is worse than Genisys. Genisys was a fucking mess. It's a comedy parody of the Terminator Franchise. I don't get how Arnie signed up for that shit

Cruets

Nov 1, 2017
John could of had a purpose still even with skynet defeated. He could of took on Legion next

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The CGI at the beginning and throughout was impressive but the movie itself was another dud.

Incoming another reboot trilogy that takes place after T2.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of annoyed how they touted "Furlong is back!!!" only to get what we got. I was kinda hoping he could have at least actually been in the movie