• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Wish people would stop with country flag. So lame.

It's really smart to actually start with a flag. I don't follow any specific reddit communities but once I saw my country I immediately went to help. We then added some really nice art and I now think we are among the coolest looking ones (Portugal btw).
If I tried to do it with a subreddit community we probably would get something up and then immediately get erased.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Where do you go to see the actual, current board?

Also I guess they will get rid of the pixel Reddit app icon after this is over... I wish they didn't.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I was keeping up with maintaining the trans section for a while, people are jerks. I like the cute new add ons like the shark though.

OP
OP
Orange Piccolo
Feb 1, 2018
Texas
Oh I see, so the idea is you're competing with other people to try to claim a space on the 'place'? Do people just keep overwriting each other?
Yes, it's essentially an all out battle to constantly keep a piece of art intact. Sometimes pieces do eventually get overwhelmed. Canada's flag, for example, keeps getting messed with and eventually turned into a banana-type piece. The American flag keeps getting wiped out also, etc.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Oh I see, so the idea is you're competing with other people to try to claim a space on the 'place'? Do people just keep overwriting each other?
Yep, but also there's large collaborative efforts within spaces that are claimed. Which is how some of the larger scale ones are kept in place and maintained. One person can't really carve out a space so it's more a representation of various communities of varying sizes (usually proportional to the space they're trying to occupy). You have some people who purposefully try to grief certain areas as well.

I was keeping up with maintaining the trans section for a while, people are jerks. I like the cute new add ons like the shark though.
💕

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
It's really smart to actually start with a flag. I don't follow any specific reddit communities but once I saw my country I immediately went to help. We then added some really nice art and I now think we are among the coolest looking ones (Portugal btw).
If I tried to do it with a subreddit community we probably would get something up and then immediately get erased.
Some countries went a bit overboard and made more than 1 flag but in general they're just backdrops for country specific references. I'm also Portuguese and I think it would have been much harder to do all the art if our flag didn't section off an area just for us.
https://i.ibb.co/x3HtbC8/Capture.png

Everything right of the blue square corner on the bottom left has nothing to with Portugal btw (Other than the two little flags above the RIP black square)

And the red section on the left is Italy.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
Some countries went a bit overboard and made more than 1 flag but in general they're just backdrops for country specific references. I'm also Portuguese and I think it would have been much harder to do all the art if our flag didn't section off an area just for us.
https://i.ibb.co/x3HtbC8/Capture.png

Everything right of the blue square corner on the bottom left has nothing to with Portugal btw (Other than the two little flags above the RIP black square)

And the red section on the left is Italy.
Only issue I have with our efforts in r/place is the gold on the boats. There's really no need to glorify our atrocities of the past, but it's an r/portugal effort, so it doesn't surprise me, absolute shit subreddit.

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
Only issue I have with our efforts in r/place is the gold on the boats. There's really no need to glorify our atrocities of the past, but it's an r/portugal effort, so it doesn't surprise me, absolute shit subreddit.
100% with you there, that subreddit is pretty shit when it comes to topics of colonialism.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

I thought it was the Brazilians adding the gold, I'm not really on the discord. Kind of lame, hoping they change it

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
The war between the spanish/english streamers to take down the french eiffel tower is fun. Like 500k viewers trying to take it down and they can't.

P8w4I0g.jpg

Last edited:

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I'm impressed. Saw the One Piece subreddit mention trying to get Roger laughing if the board expanded again and figured it was to late. Color me surprised to see him laughing down there in the new section.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of blatant bot accounts is really sucking the fun out of this to me. It's really getting obvious how quickly everything is being maintained, and how many accounts are placing things that are a day old.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Wish people would stop with country flag. So lame.
Yeah it seems pretty cool besides some nationalism dick measuring contests. I saw in the video of the first day people were trying to make the Union Jack expand out over other stuff like a star expanding its points until the Trans flag expanded over it and made people have to retreat and relocate the whole center of the UK flag. That felt a little cathartic to see that war play out.

Oct 29, 2017
It'd funny how the expansion reflects the geography of the old world vs the new world, and quite apt that the USA moved down. With it's big square states that are the size of countries, that's pretty much what the real state of the bottom half is now. The American Midwest.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I've had some fun with it. There was this one magical moment where there was an unused portion of the German flag (which is like 10% of the collage at some points) where I put a single grey dot. 5 minutes later it was gone, so I put it back. Then I came back later and the area had become Beethoven's head! It was neat, it was like I planted a seed that took root in a forest of randomness.

It's gone now, unfortunately.