• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
(Inspired by the recent Bravely Default II announcement)

So, we all know JRPG's. You walk around for a little bit, the screen goes whoooooosh, and then you get to fight some enemies while cool battle music plays.
And if there's one game that has cool battle music, it's the original Bravely Default.

(Really glad the original composers are coming back for the new one)

Bravely Second, the sequel to Bravely Default, had a lot of responsibility in delivering music that sounded at the very least, just as good as the original game.
And at first glance, it looked like it was ready to disappoint, as when a demo of Bravely Second first launched on the eShop, it featured this battle music:

Big disappointment compared to the original game. Sure, the composers of the original game did not work on Bravely Second, but c'mon.
I particularly remember hearing a lot of people complaining about it when the demo first released.
... but it was a demo of a game that was released early in development, they could still change it before the full game released.

And they did it.

I mean, damn
I don't think this is better than the original, mind you. But this is by far the most outrageous normal battle music I've ever heard in a game.
I'm just fighting some apples.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Both games have totally kickass soundtracks, even if BS does lean too hard on electric guitar.

They got Revo back for the new one though, and that alone has me beyond hyped. If the final boss theme can top Serpent Eating Ground, I'll lose my everloving shit.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Yeah nothing against the composer for BS but I remember thinking the demo music was lacking some punch, but then the final version of that and the boss theme felt like they were trying too hard to go in the opposite direction. Revo is freaking awesome so it must've been tough to try to live up to the original's OST.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The thing i really disliked about Bravely Second's OST is the electric guitar completely drowning out all the rest of the instrumentation. Not that i don't like electric guitars, but it's a little too much. Revo does is really well, and it shows when you compare Wicked Flight, to Anne's terrible battle themes.

Edit: Wicked flight gives off this "mystic, fairy-tale-like" vibe that fits well with Airy's beautiful looking final form compared to her previous one, but with a hint of wickedness to play her true nature.

Anne's theme just goes all ham and it makes her more threatening then how she really is.

neufel

Oct 29, 2017
Switzerland
Every battle does feel like a boss battle.
Maybe there's a bit of pavlovian conditioning coming from normal FF games... "I hear an electric guitar and some screaming voices? Oh shit it's real now"

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I feel that the second game's OST is really underrated simply because it's not Revo.
Sure, it's a different style, and not as good, but it's still excellent imo.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I'm really not a fan of bravely second soundtrack so i'm happy REVO is back!

I hope yasunori nishiki will participate too in some extent

I feel that the second game's OST is really underrated simply because it's not Revo.
Sure, it's a different style, and not as good, but it's still excellent imo.

nah, i just don't like it, while octopath soundtrack is simply fantastic

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the picture of each character from BD and BS using their character themes? My only complaint about BS's music.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played Second, but the demo battle theme is completely fine and acceptable. In fact, it reminds me of FFVII. BD's can be considered noisy, BS is a bit calmer (until they add the guitar).

Sounds like a case of exageration vs general musical preference.