• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure a lot of you have seen this, but I am legit blown away that this was created and supposed to be shown to people.

I mean... Kinect disarming a bomb and helping with brain surgery. What was MS smoking?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
"Depictions are Visionary"

why isn't this a meme?!

Imagine disarming a bomb with Kinect

BAM.gif

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
It is over indulgent as fuck in the way only a marketing firm can, though the Kinect did have a pretty interesting development community outside of games. Probably still does, I haven't check in on it in some time.

And plenty of weird interesting games related projects still kicking around, it seems.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the Kinect is actually seeing some fair bit of success in tech companies. So much so that they actually make a gen 2 Kinect earlier this year.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
depictions are visionary

how did these not make the rounds lol

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Wonder if that promo was made back when they still planned to give Kinect its own processor.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
They definitely thought they had something incredible.

And the market was like 'meh'
The Kinect sold over 35m units and gave the 360 a huge second wind in terms of sales. Like, it was terrible, but the market ate it up.

Milo is still the most insane thing ever, and they presented this shit at E3:

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
If it could actually defuse a bomb, the Xbox One would have had a successful launch.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm trying to imagine the use of invisible instruments past being a neat gimmick, I assume it would probably be impractical to learn that way? Even if you were low on cash or something and this was your best option?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
haven't been keeping tabs but i'd imagine it gets quite the mileage in certain industries to this day

though, yeah, the way it was pushed then you'd think by 2019 it'd have evolved into full on Minority Report tech

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
I stand corrected, that's actually pretty amazing. Who knew something that was a gaming failure could be so useful for so many important things?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
That's just because it was bundled with the 360 when it was selling at it's best. I don't think anyone went out and bought it on it's own.
This is peak anecdotal, I realize, but I know 2 people who specifically did. Both were not bleeding edge gotta have any new tech types either. They wanted to bowl and do yoga/dance. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Kinect technology is also core to the HoloLens v1 and v2, which have incredible vision sensing for both keeping "holograms" pinned to the world in both versions, and now detecting hand gestures in v2.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, the Kinect tech really works, when it works as intended.

I used Kinect for voice recognition tech with my robot buddy program for university project before and motion capture tracking to match with 3D model rigging; it's pretty awesome experience.

But for gaming purpose, it's not as fun as what the ads exaggerated mostly, but Dance Central and Fruit Ninja game are exceptional because they are certainly fun with Kinect because there's no need to hold physical controller like PSMove and Wii Controller.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I love that this thread is in two camps:

"Haha the kinect was dumb and was a failure and this is dumb"

and

"The Kinect is an amazing tool that was incredibly useful for non-gaming things that has found great successes in surprising industries, just like the video depicts."

I still wanna set up one or two as 3D Scanners -- that seems like it could be neat.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
They definitely thought they had something incredible.

And the market was like 'meh'

The market for Kinect v1 was certainly not 'meh'.

That's just because it was bundled with the 360 when it was selling at it's best. I don't think anyone went out and bought it on it's own.

Not only is this completely untrue, but Kinect software sales were actually pretty good.

The Dance central games were multi-million sellers, for example. And the Kinect Sports/Adventures games sold millions too.

It does seem like some of you are woefully misinformed about this.

The Kinect sold over 35m units and gave the 360 a huge second wind in terms of sales. Like, it was terrible, but the market ate it up.

It was terrible for several genres like FPS or racing games.
It worked very well for mostly family friendly stuff.

To date, many of the family friendly games like dance central, Kinect Sports etc have some of the highest user rating on amazon for Xbox 360 software.

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
Kinect technology is also core to the HoloLens v1 and v2, which have incredible vision sensing for both keeping "holograms" pinned to the world in both versions, and now detecting hand gestures in v2.

BTW, for anyone wanting to understand just how hard it is to pin images properly in AR, look up "Object Permanence". HoloLens is basically the only device that does this well (including iOS and Magic Leap).

This is only possible because of all the tracking stuff they trained into Kinect using ML and that the HoloLens utilizes multiple Kinects.

KoreanBBQ

PR guy at The Amplifier Group
Verified
Nov 29, 2017
In my younger days working at LucasArts, I worked on Kinect Star Wars. Oh boy, you guys have no idea. Dancing Han Solo ring a bell?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when the Kinect launched and how popular it was. People talked about it like they loved it. Fast forward to the Xbox One reveal and everyone acted like they hated it all of a sudden. Why is that? I'm sure it needed refinement, but the technology is being used today in lots of other products.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017

Milo is still the most insane thing ever, and they presented this shit at E3:

See the old man talking in the video fucks up, because he reveals that Milo's actions are in fact scripted and not "natural" like they want us to believe. "Everyone felt the need to grab the googles"