• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never forget my dad picking me up from school early to take me to see Mortal Kombat on opening day. The theater was packed full of teenagers who were big fans of the games. Probably one of the most fun movie audiences I was a part of. The oohs and aahs when Scorpion and Sub Zero appeared, the reaction to the fight scenes, the explosion of cheers when the Reptile/Liu Kang fight started as well as when Liu Kang did his bicycle kick, etc. Definitely top 3 video game movie adaptation for me along with Silent Hill and the Street Fighter anime. Sucks that we never got the R-rated version, but this worked just as well. My dad then immediately took me to buy the soundtrack right after watching it. One of the best days of my youth.

As for Annihilation, I never watched it all in one viewing. I remember immediately turning it off the first time I tried watching it when they killed Johnny Cage. Then I realized only Liu Kang and Kitana were the only returning actors. It was a painful experience.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MK was so much fun. Easily the best VG movie even today.

Annihilation was so much shit though.

I consider it a guilty pleasure that I actually enjoyed the TV show as well. Trash though it was, it was entertaining in a Hercules kind of way. Plus I loved Quan Chi in it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the most wasted potential ever was actually the TV adaptation of Maniac Mansion.
full20100807121411.jpg

Woah

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
MK was the best ever

MKA was a dumpster fire in every way imaginable
But at least they had the foresight of kasting a Vin Diesel impersonator as Shao Kahn

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just couldn't get over raidens haircut.
mkombatii6.jpg

"It's a new 'do!"

For me, the biggest disappointment about Annihilation was that - AT LAST - we got Scorpion vs Sub-Zero! We didn't get that in the first film, and it was THE rivalry of the games! It's in the sequel, guys!
Unmasked_Sub-Zero_vs._Scorpion.jpg

... And it was pretty bad. It both characters show up literally out of nowhere, fight, and it ends in a draw and both vanish from the film never to be seen again.

It's one area where I legitimately enjoyed the Mortal Kombat Legacy fight between them much more.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I love the original. I watched that VHS so many damn times I'm surprised I didn't wear out the film. Linden Ashby and Christopher Lambert absolutely killed it, and the rest of the cast was great too, especially Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa. It was beautifully shot, had great set design, and of course the soundtrack rocked face. I always get a smile when I see the cast show up in other stuff, like Tagawa in The Man in the High Castle and Lambert in the Fortress movies.

That Hollywood Reporter article posted above is a great read for anyone who love the first one.

Kid-me even enjoyed the sequel, though I can't imagine that it would hold up in a viewing nowadays. It sucked from the get-go to see Ashby and Lambert not return, but from what I remember James Remar did ok as Raiden, though he was nowhere near Lambert-level. I did enjoy seeing the cyborgs in actions, though, and I liked seeing more usage of their special moves. The animality stuff was God awful, though.
I guess that whole "make it his own" thing. Really sucks, though. I hate his interpretation of RE.
While I enjoy the RE movies as serviceable horror-action romps, I agree that his interpretation is horribly bad. That reminds me of how much I would love to see the supposedly faithful-to-the-game script that George Romero wrote for original movie, but that they didn't use. I feel like it would have been friggin' awesome.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yo man I loved Annihilation as a child. I had shit taste. My dad took me and my sister into theaters to see it and our theater was still playing it despite the VHS already being out. He took us to blockbuster after and it was on shelves so we rented it and went home and rewatched multiple times the next day.

But yea in hindsight it was a huge step down in terms of sets/costumes/music/characters.
-Too much pointless dialogue that was the bad type of cheesy
-Over-reliance on CG. The first film had shitty CG too but it used it so sparingly that you could forgive it and enjoy the laugh of it all. Annihilation dialed up the CG ten-fold and it really showed.
-The movie also had a lot more brighter and outdoor scenes which hid the CG badly
-Johnny Cage dies immediately
-Totally different cast....wth
-Fights weren't choreographed as well

Graciaus

Oct 27, 2017
This thread made me want to put it on in the background. Can't find it on Netflix/Hulu/Prime though.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I remember wayyy back in the day before I or most (or any?) people had internet and you never really knew what movie was in production until you saw a trailer. The first trailer for this came up in front of some movie that I can't even remember now. It starts and you have no ida what it is, then Sub Zero and Scorpion walk through the door and my child mind is like "Wait..WHAT? Was that...??" and the trailer continues and I realize that holy shit. A Mortal Kombat movie is being made and it looks amazing and holy shit this music is so HYPE! I couldn't tell you how awesome that surprise was and I didn't stop thinking about it for the rest of whatever movie we were actually there to see. I'll probably never have an experience like that again due to the internet lol. Luckily the movie lived up to the trailer and I loved it and it also kickstarted my love for techno (and for a while, Fear Factory lol). As far as I was concerned, it was the greatest American martial arts movie ever up to that point.

Alternatively, Mortal Kombat Annihilation is one of only two movies I've started watching and literally thought it was some kind of joke before the actual movie started. Like when sometimes they put a short in front of the feature. The first 15 minutes I was like "Ha. This is kind of funny and crappy but when does the real movie start?........oh no". The other movie was Batman and Robin.

RedValkyrie

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mortal Kombat was the first movie I ever bought that was on a digital format.

Before DVDs, there were Two disc sets called Movie CDs that you could buy at EB Games. They were 640x480 versions of the film spread across two CDs that played in Windows 95.

s-l300.jpg

Watched the hell out of that.
Isn't that essentially a VCD?

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Hmmmm no.

Other than the main theme and the fight with Reptile (and the music on that scene) the movie is kinda shitty, watchable and the best VG movie at the time. But still shitty.

Also, Paul Anderson sucks.

DickHams

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh definitely. The Journey Begins! The CG was pretty awful, the 2D animation was pretty awful... it's pretty awful...

... My brother and I kept renting it leading up to the movie though.
65HFaIw.gif

JESUS. Yeah, that's a flashback right there. I think it was like 25 minutes long, with about a minute's worth of animation that got recycled throughout (this gif in particular). Good stuff.

Also, come on y'all, Annihilation is great fun if you're in the proper mindset.

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
I was extremely pissed that Johnny Cage was killed off in the opening minutes of MK:A.

My friend still mentions it to this day.

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
I like the fact that NRS made a very similar face for Liu kang in MKX concept arts:

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatched it today. Christopher Lambert laughs just like Tommy Wiseau. Movie ruined forever.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I honestly think the first MK movie is the best video game adaption we ever got. It both does and doesn't take itself seriously and somehow finds a great balance.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If this fight were remade nowadays there would be like ten cuts and a whole bunch of close-ups and shaky cam effects

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mortal Kombat is an awful film that we only love because of nostalgia.

While I'd probably rather watch MK over any other video game film, I don't actually want to watch it again, ever.

The word "great" should not be used to describe this movie.

One question that has always interested me is why Mortal Kombat succeded where Street Fighter the Movie failed. Certainly Raul Julia and his performance are leagues above every other actor in both films.

Maybe it was that soundtrack...

"The soundtrack went Platinum[3] in less than a year reaching No. 10 on the Billboard 200"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat:_Original_Motion_Picture_Soundtrack

I was 10 in 95, aka "Prime Target Audience" for Mortal Kombat aka "Highly Susceptible To Edgelord Music Influence" and I definitely had a copy. One of my earliest CD's, IIRC.

Last edited:

Roven

Nov 2, 2017
I remember just listening to Annihilation on an old encrypted pay TV channel. Wasn't that bad lol

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
When you're french it's just way more difficult to accept how cringey is Lambert acting honestly. It's like you see someone you know in a big thing and you're so embarassed you want to close your eyes. I mean he's literally about to laugh the whole time.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mortal Kombat is an awful film that we only love because of nostalgia.

While I'd probably rather watch MK over any other video game film, I don't actually want to watch it again, ever.

The word "great" should not be used to describe this movie.

One question that has always interested me is why Mortal Kombat succeded where Street Fighter the Movie failed. Certainly Raul Julia and his performance are leagues above every other actor in both films.

Maybe it was that soundtrack...

"The soundtrack went Platinum[3] in less than a year reaching No. 10 on the Billboard 200"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat:_Original_Motion_Picture_Soundtrack

I was 10 in 95, aka "Prime Target Audience" for Mortal Kombat aka "Highly Susceptible To Edgelord Music Influence" and I definitely had a copy. One of my earliest CD's, IIRC.
We talking about Mortal Kombat again? I'm talking about Mortal Kombat again.

Comparing it to Street Fighter is like comparing apples to oranges. Mortal Kombat embraced its video game roots while Street Fighter largely did not.

For instance, who are the "main heroes" of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat in the games? It's Ryu and Liu Kang. I remember reading up on the adaptations of the games and how Mortal Kombat's director and writers fought hard to have an Asian lead hero. It's not some white American who saves the day in Mortal Kombat, and that's something most Hollywood movies - even TODAY - struggle with when adapting properties focused on Asian leads. Street Fighter, meanwhile, made Ryu and Ken secondary con artists that were there to fill out the film's character quota, with Guile taking center stage.

Street Fighter also never really played anything straight. It was goofy, campy, silly, and ridiculous from the get-go, which isn't altogether bad but... SF needed SOME moments to be legitimately straight. It didn't help that there actually existed a far superior, far better adaptation of the source material created a few months prior.
c404fa08a6057734f1db660dff7188f0.gif

The Street Fighter II: Animated Movie is to video game anime adaptations what Mortal Kombat was to video game film adaptations. It's stylish, exciting, and a great balance of taking the material both seriously while indulging in its most over-the-top elements. It's supremely faithful to the roots of the game and, just like Mortal Kombat, was influential enough that elements of the adaptation were integrated into future games.

The Mortal Kombat movie did that where the Street Fighter movie failed. The cast chemistry was much better, the cinematography was much better, the soundtrack was iconic, the fight choreography remains great, the pacing is solid, the tone is ridiculously fun while the villains actually remain threatening and memorably surreal.

While the CGI has dated the film, it's not just nostalgia. It holds up in the same way films like Big Trouble in Little China do. As a video game adaptation, yeah, it's legit great, and its best quality is that even if you know absolutely nothing about the games, the film gets you up to speed and gives you a good time that provides the same feeling so many of us got playing the games at the time.

I'll never forget the theater erupting into cheers when the MK theme kicked in, or the laughs at Cage's one-liners, or the fist-pumps whenever a good fatality hit the screen ("give me a break", "Okay", *snap*). It was the rare film that both casual audiences AND fans of the games both enjoyed in equal measure.

That's still almost unheard of in video game adaptations.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure this has been covered already, but am I the only one who first thought you meant the 2018 Natalie Portman film?