• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
Before this point in the game it was relatively light on CG; outside of Chapter 1 all we had was that short clip of the plate fall.

You're walking around the Shinra Tower, making your way through a tour, and then the game suddenly transitions into a full-blown CG cinematic

Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-Cetra.jpeg

Screenshot_216.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

697979664accd550adef37d00c4160e9bcacdcd5.gif

in fact this shot is so beautiful I'm going to post it two more times

You get to see the world from 2000-ish years ago (well, an interpretation of it, anyway), a quick glimpse of a few summons, and even a fast-forwarded construction of Midgar

and then
Sephiroth/Jenova have the party see a vision of the destruction of Midgar (and, to Cloud, the death of his friends)
maxresdefault.jpg

And you can see every damn strand of hair and like every single pore on their faces
FFtinfoil3.jpg

It's a very well-paced, exciting, and gorgeous cutscene that wasn't even part of any promo material and tbh I think I've watched it over 50 times by now

I hope future parts have more incredible cinematics like this

Thank u for ur time

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's one of the best things Visual Works has ever done. A real 'Holy shit!' moment in terms of sheer effort.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
After being stunned by that cutscene I knew I desperately wanted a Final Fantasy game with those Cetra aesthetics, that's for sure.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is that's how Shinra's creative team portrayed the promised Land and the Cetra world. So we may never get to visit it as a few chapters, by travelling through Destiny's Crossroads or whatever.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
It was definitely beautiful, though I'm still not sure if that was intended to be what the Cetra were really like or just Shinra propaganda. Normally they'd make something like that obvious.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
After being stunned by that cutscene I knew I desperately wanted a Final Fantasy game with those Cetra aesthetics, that's for sure.
Are they going to be able to use Visual Works assets with UE5? Or are they so high fidelity that animating them convicingly is way too much fucking work? It would be interesting to see SE squash the difference in character design between their CGI and in-game models.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Loved that the Cetra is basically just a old school FF setting, with airships and everything. One of my favorite moments in the remake.

Not as sold on the second part though. WHY ISNT ANYONE QUESTIONING IT!? Barret just says it's not something for kids but Cloud and Tifa should be freaking out after seeing Sephy.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
yeap, it's stunning, and after all the gray and brown, it's very refreshing indeed lol. Hopefully in the next game the environment's color pallete will be more akin to the one in this cutscene.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Are they going to be able to use Visual Works assets with UE5? Or are they so high fidelity that animating them convicingly is way too much fucking work? It would be interesting to see SE squash the difference in character design between their CGI and in-game models.

Thats going to be very interesting indeed how much Visual Works may be able to help with assets in the future.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
yeah it was a cool scene, though the characters look worse than they do in the in-game cutscenes and that took me out of it a bit. It's hard to explain what looks so off about them. They look a bit too... clean?

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That was one of my favourite moments in the whole game and I could watch this every single day. So damn good

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was a great decision to bring the video from Cosmo canyon to Midgar and expand on it. It creates great world building and it looks stunning.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was, and still am, thoroughly impressed. Incredible stuff.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thought this was going to be about the good boy and how amazingly animated he was.

Better than Lion King Remake.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That shit was incredible!!

I was stunned. Shinra are bastards, but their audio-visual setup fucking slaps.

Oct 27, 2017
I was blown away during this sequence. I wonder how long it will take before we can reach this kind of visual fidelity in-game.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't prepared for that so I just sat their with my mouth wide open the entire time. You know, it took me back to when i played FF first as a kid and being blown away by the cutscenes. They really did an incredible job

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
It was definitely beautiful, though I'm still not sure if that was intended to be what the Cetra were really like or just Shinra propaganda. Normally they'd make something like that obvious.
After just going through exhibits of nothing but propaganda how were you confused?

Not as sold on the second part though. WHY ISNT ANYONE QUESTIONING IT!? Barret just says it's not something for kids but Cloud and Tifa should be freaking out after seeing Sephy.

Pretty sure only cloud saw him. they just saw the destruction.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
You know the first thing i thought of when i saw that scene was "That looks amazing, can the PS5 do this in real-time, is this potentially a small glimpse of FF7R2's graphics?"

God i hope it is.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I thought the entire sequence of Ch 16 was outstanding.

They absolutely smashed a home run with the entire Shinra Building in my view.

I spent the whole time with this giddy, childlike excitement and wonder.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's the ingenius part of it. You'd like to imagine groups of mystical beings are capable of conjuring beautiful environment to live and thus enjoy good well-being especially with power of lifestream. But at the end of day, it's unknown and a mystery.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
What amazed me about it was that it took me a few seconds to realize that what I was watching was no longer in-engine and was all pre-rendered. Really gave me a renewed appreciation for just how amazing the game looks and how good the in-engine choreography really is throughout the rest of the game.

Last edited:

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
It's incredible. My mouth was agape during the timelapse of Midgar construction segment.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I really liked that part of lot. Visually stunning, great pacing. In general I really enjoyed climbing Shinra Tower. A wonderful chapter and the stairs part (of course I picked the stairs!) made me giggle all the way to the top.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes I love it so much I saved the video using the Share button and rewatched it twice immediately after.

Deleted member 9327

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm currently at the final boss and I was blown away by those cutscenes as well, also the one in chapter 18. I was wondering if those graphics could be achieved with PS5 or at least I hope so :o

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
It was a stunning homage to the Bugenhagen's Planetarium.

This whole game is a symphony made up of individual homages that exceed what they are paying homage to.

Final Fantasy VII-0.

Set in the Cetra times, showing their time on a previous planet and then their arrival to Gaia, giving us a detailed backstory of their downfall, their divergent evolution that formed Humans and Jenova's arrival. With the exact aesthetics from this cutscene.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I got chills during this scene.

but Cloud and Tifa should be freaking out after seeing Sephy.

She literally never reacts to Sephiroth at all in the entire game... it's weird considering
their past in Nibelheim, I mean, he literally stabbed her, and killed her dad - thought she'd just react more..