• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
ygk6fgpztkqufed8azbv.gif

tumblr_ozyx36OrnT1qbwrnuo2_500.gif

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
NbAK6EH.gif

The suits are CG!?
First they look amazing but second why? Does that save them time / money? Its not like those suits couldn't have been made for real so I'm assuming it is cheaper

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
It can be good but, more often, it's bad or unsatisfactory.

The CGI in the Marvel films have no business being as sloppy as it is considering their budget and resources.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow had no idea the time suits were cgi.

But that begs the question... why? Seems like a huge waste of money and time.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
It looks as good as it did back then for it's time. 10 years from now we will look at Hulk and think he looks completely out of place. I mean he already looks artificial.

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, it's all about giving the CG artists time.

The Pirates of the Carribean movies (first 3 at least) still have some of my favorite CG and those movies are years and years old at this point.

It's just a shame so many major movies are pushed out so quickly these days because so many of them the CG can be super obvious.
Yup,
Davy Jones is still personally the greatest CG character.

davy-jones.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty good. Gemini Man isn't perfect, but they did a good job with young, emotionally destroyed, red-eyed crying his eyes out Will Smith...most of the time. 60fps definitely helped blend most of the CG and live action work as well.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, CGI is excellent in certain situations (backgrounds in Zodiac, Mind Hunter). Costume overlays like on Avengers Endgame, but characters?. Characters still suffer from looking like they don't belong in the environment, they look weightless. Almost like an actor would be able to just pass their hand straight through them like a pixel ghost. IMHO the best CGI creations ever are the aliens from District 9.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Snoke doesn't belong among some of these achievements, especially as some of the trickery being discussed are things people didn't even notice. Snoke is a notable weak point for the new trilogy.. were it not for Serkis' voice he would be utterly forgettable.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Anytime I watch SFX behind the scenes videos I end up thinking, "that was CGI? Why was that CGI!?" like a hundred times over. You can pretty much tell 90% of any shot in Marvel films are gonna be CGI but even then, there's still a bunch of shit that you don't realize isn't real as you're watching the film.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017

Could simply be as simple as the costume team didn't have time early in production to create the suits when the shots were created. Doing it as CG gave the production team basically through post production to film the required scenes without having to worry about costumes being ready at the time.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Didn't they already confirm that the Endgame suits weren't ready when they were shooting the movie? They're CGI because they had nothing else available

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Modern VFX tools have become so good that there are also a bunch of TV shows that utilize CGI in subtle but excellent ways. So much so that you would never guess certain elements were digital.

Mindhunters is one of the first that springs to mind:

Also, i was watching the behind-the-scenes for John Wick Chapter 3 and I was blown away that the entire road in the horse chase sequence was completely CGI. It had to be digitally replaced because the production needed to put mats down on the road so the horse could get traction and gallop without risk of slipping on wet pavement.

The VFX breakdown of the bike chase is also pretty damn cool:

Last edited:

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine caring so little about the time, effort, and cost involved that you go into production before finalizing or deciding on costumes that you just replace everything in post in order to meet an arbitrary release date. That also strikes me as at least as a serious case of mismanagement in preproduction and scheduling.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Snoke looks amazing by every standard we can judge CG rendering. Lmao what are your standards if Snoke looks shite? 😂https://youtube.com/watch?v=69Ld3phO1V0

I can't fault the talent, the artistry, the technique or the animation quality, and Serkis' work does sell it well, but I personally agree that he doesn't look "good". I can't explain it. It's his design. Something about the emaciation mixed with the mapping of human characteristics and mouth movements to that mouth.. something just looks off. And it's a shame the character wasn't given more investment because with a bit more character work I believe the mind just overlooks things like that. The apes aren't perfect in the Planet of the Apes films but of course, they are groundbreaking in many ways and the characterisation is top notch. I just didn't think about how Caesar and others looked. With Snoke I did.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine caring so little about the time, effort, and cost involved that you go into production before finalizing or deciding on costumes that you just replace everything in post in order to meet an arbitrary release date. That also strikes me as at least as a serious case of mismanagement in preproduction and scheduling.
Endgame made more than two billion dollars on ticket sales alone with a budget of 356 million. All things considered very little of the MCU films are real sets, costumes, props etc.
I can't fault the talent, the artistry, the technique or the animation quality, and Serkis' work does sell it well, but I personally agree that he doesn't look "good". I can't explain it. It's his design. Something about the emaciation mixed with the mapping of human characteristics and mouth movements to that mouth.. something just looks off. And it's a shame the character wasn't given more investment because with a bit more character work I believe the mind just overlooks things like that. The apes aren't perfect in the Planet of the Apes films but of course, they are groundbreaking in many ways and the characterisation is top notch. I just didn't think about how Caesar and others looked. With Snoke I did.
Your opinion on the story has no bearing on the technical accomplishment that is Snoke. 🤷‍♂️ Snoke isn't supposed to look comforting. Hes supposed to look unsettling as this old alien with multiple scars on his face, sevenft tall and emaciated.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I mean clearly most people couldn't even tell, and the movie is hardly worse for it. I'm not sure it's mismanagement when you clearly know your capabilities of what you can and can't change

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Modern VFX tools have become so good that there are also a bunch of TV shows that utilize CGI in subtle but excellent ways. So much so that you would never guess certain elements were digital.

Mindhunters is one of the first that springs to mind:

Also, i was watching the behind-the-scenes for John Wick Chapter 3 and I was blown away that the entire road in the horse chase sequence was completely CGI. It had to be digitally replaced because the production needed to put mats down on the road so the horse could get traction and gallop without risk of slipping on wet pavement.

The VFX breakdown of the bike chase is also pretty damn cool:

Yeah this is the stuff I came to post. The really impressive stuff to me is the stuff that you have absolutely no idea is CG. Yes seeing a fully CG character is cool, but there's loads of stuff out there that we are completely fooled by, no suspension of disbelief necessary.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Snoke looks amazing by every standard we can judge CG rendering.

No it doesn't.

Were you aware that the Endgame suits were CGI?

Perhaps they should have spent less time on the suits and more time on the shitty effects elsewhere.

Your opinion on the story has no bearing on the technical accomplishment that is Snoke. 🤷‍♂️ Snoke isn't supposed to look comforting. Hes supposed to look unsettling as this old alien with multiple scars on his face, sevenft tall and emaciated.

They failed then because Snoke just looks like some intangible, wobbly mouthed CGI.

A man with makeup would have been better.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
We should inform all those VFX artists then, shame, apparently that industry had the wrong idea the whole time. Lets take back the award for best visual effects while we're at it. Curious, were you aware that Snoke's hand wasn't CG in that shot while he grabs Rey's face?

Perhaps they should have spent less time on the suits and more time on the shitty effects elsewhere.
Your standard for CG rendering is completely unrealistic if you consider Endgame to be a bad example.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, Avatar is 10 years old and still look better than Snoke or Hulk.
No lies detected.

Best CG since Avatar has been Caesar in War of the Planet of the Apes and the crazy shit Cuaron pulled off in Gravity.

Endgame's entire final battle looked so obviously like everybody running on a soundstage.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Issue with CGI is as always: you don't see any good CGI (because you literally can't see it) and you will always only see the bad CGI jobs.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how Marvel just rushes into production. In one of the videos posted above, for the dual Captain America fight they had to CGI in the helmet for one of them because apparently they hadn't decided that was gonna be a thing. AND the helmet was for the Captain actually played by Chris Evans during green screen filming, so they had to also replace the face of the stunt double, because they didn't prepare themselves adequately. I don't think this is to be lauded. The final result is decent because they threw all the money at it (although the editing during that fight is an obfuscating mess, and might be a mess for this reason). But you can easily end up with something like the final fight in Black Panther.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
For all of the rightful criticism the Hobbit films get for their bountiful amount of unfinished VFX, there are few bright spots scattered throughout. Namely Gollum and Smaug.

You could tell with Gollum in particular that Weta Digital were thrilled to show off their post-Avatar facial capture tech. Andy Serkis' performance really shines through in a way it didn't in the LOTR trilogy due to Gollum's lipsyncing having to be hand-animated back then. There are so many more subtle twitches, and little muscle/eye movements thanks to the new tech that really help elevate the character. That's on top of the obvious improvements to rendering skin and light.

Last edited:

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Blade Runner 2049 for me is the perfect CGI film. Like the entire film from stat to finish is flawless with one minor niggle and one specific short shot that I always think looks terrible.
When Deckard gets arrested/pulled in just after visiting the memory maker. The spinner hovering in the air looks like a picture just photoshopped onto the scene. It just looks bizarre.

Besides the spoiler tag the effects are just sublime. Seeing the city in the rain for the first time and it looks real (I know some real sets were used but there is a shit ton of CGI buildings as well). It really is flawless and massively helps enveloping you in this world.

Oct 28, 2017
Those CGI suits look amazing.

But can Marvel shoot SOMETHING on location in these movies or did EVERYTHING in End Game have to be done in front of green screen? These are basically animated movies at this point.

Even though I didn't even really like the movie the location shooting and real world, lived-in feel of Gotham City made the new Joker movie really feel more immediate and real.

Can't stand how fake and "digital" the environments look in a lot of these Marvel films.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not when the internet tears into 2 seconds of a scene for having bad cg for years on end. People don't know how much of a film is cg because it's often very good. It's taken for granted.