• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
We should congratulate the developers/labourers instead of Sony imo.

Hats off to them though what a lineup.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because PS5 can play multiplats
So we praise them specifically for games that aren't theirs and can be played elsewhere?

Because time and effort was put towards securing content. Or do you think having FF7 Remake on PlayStation for an entire year meant nothing?
Well for one the time and effort generally entails cutting a check, but that doesn't matter because you included games that aren't even timed exclusive.

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
Other people have said as much, but this seems a bit sycophantic. They don't need a round of applause, the wads of cash they've gotten from us will probably do just fine.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Lets "applaud" them at the end of 2021 when they actually release all these games and half didn't get delayed (God of War is 100% not coming next year).

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
It looks like celebrating how many great games we get during a gen transition is causing anger and bitterness... among gamers?

Much better transition compared to all the others we've had in the past, but it remains to be seen if there are delays so it's a little premature. We can still applaud them for not giving up on the story-driven single player experiences, allowing studios to take risks on new IPs despite the 5 to 7 years it requires, allowing complex themes and character development despite angering the alt-right, brokering the deal that gave Insomniac the marvel characters they asked for, and brokering a deal with Kojima that gave us Death Standing. We should congratulate Mark Cerny and his team for making a console that is very easy to develop for, and a single hardware target, making these games ready much sooner than previous gens were.

zYuuKwn

Jun 15, 2020
I'll Not Do This Just Because The Title Looks Like A Camel Case With Spaces Between Words

/s but maybe not

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Their exclusives this gen have been god tier. Some of my favorite games of all-time.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
Applauding Corporations for doing whats best for its brand is just.....
...the Premise of this thread is too Dystopian for me.

Vonbon

Jun 4, 2018
I feel like they already get plenty of applause already lol. Their reward for releasing good products is my money. No need for an extra pat on the back.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, the lineup ending with Horizon: Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok will be incredible, I thought PS4 was over but I still can give it some life and that's amazing.

About the PS5 though, we have to wait a year or so to see what really gets released during the first year.

Mar 10, 2018
Impressed sure. But I've never even applauded my mother and she's the biggest reason I even exist. Perhaps the problem is I'm taking this literally and most people are not. I've just seen people thanking Microsoft and Sony on here and I find it weird.
...Is this not an enthusiast gaming forum? Is gaming not the passion of the majority of users here? Why would they not express gratitude towards the people who make their beloved hobby possible? I find it weirder that you find this weird. This isn't any different than sneaker heads expressing gratitude towards Nike, or audiophiles expressing gratitude towards Sennheiser, or motor enthusiasts expressing gratitude towards Porsche.

Oct 31, 2017

A lot of those developers praise Sony even after working for them for their ability to be creative and make what they want, and one of Insom's employees said they were excited to work with Sony because their publishing pipeline makes it much easier to create a single-player experience like Spider-Man.

One has to include them.

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
I think the launch lineup looks cool and all, but maybe wait until you've played any of those games before you start slapping a corporation on the back.

Oct 30, 2017
Applauding Corporations for doing whats best for its brand is just.....
...the Premise of this thread is too Dystopian for me.
That's really dramatic. People being excited by having good games is dystopian lmao

When the best interest of the brand also aligns with consumer interest, it's not dystopian to point that out. We literally have dozens of threads all of the time acknowledging the smart moves that Microsoft makes and it's filled with applause and appreciation.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
We could appreciate the titles released by their first party studios, but I couldn't applaud the release of games made by other developers where Sony just signed a exclusivity deal with them.

Persona 5 Royale

Show me something that says Sony helped the developers behind these titles, or something that says that without Sony these titles wouldn't be posible. Until then I not going to acknowledge something where Sony doesn't contributed in any way.
I don't think Persona 5/Royal have any exclusivity deal, it's just that Altus decided to release on PlayStation only as that's where the series does really well.

NaudiRajah

Jun 8, 2018
It is indeed a very strong launch lineup. If launch games decide what system to buy its a no brainer really. Sony for me has never failed to deliver a wide range of games for me to enjoy, so I don't see why that would stop now.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
They don't hold back games to make the next gen seem sweeter, that's a good thing. They did the same with the PS3.

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly don't think we'll see Horizon: FW and God of War Ragnarok/God of War II in 2021. I think they'll be 2022 maybe 2023. For whatever reason, I think Sony will decide to cancel the PS4 version of Horizon: FW after the pushback and will have Horizon: FW be the 'game that makes you buy a PS5.'

I could be wrong.
I don't see much of a reason to cancel the PS4 version right now. The game design is likely well along enough to the point where the PS4s limitations are already factored into the design.

Much like they aren't going to cancel Halo Infinite for Xbox One.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Incredibly strong lineup. This is why I'm playing less and less 3rd party games these days when 1st party development is on fire.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I wouldn't really give them any credit for the timed exclusives (FF7R, Deathloop, Ghostwire), but their first party support is an amazing way to end the generation. I'm not really too keen on their games, but I would love to get my hands on Ghost of Tsushima some day. I just love the setting and art direction in that game. Was really glad to see Sucker Punch get it done.

And I was bloody impressed at Demon's Souls with a new coat of paint. Bluepoint has turned into such a fine developer.

Oct 30, 2017

The development teams of course deserve the lion's share of the credit for their products.

But Sony as a company has actually done something on a content pipeline level that is worthy of acknowledgement. Still supporting their outgoing platform with quality content while supplying their incoming platform with quality content early. That's not the norm. That's a result of product pipeline management and a commitment to supporting your products.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
The Last of Us 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Nioh 2
Persona 5 Royale

MLB The Show 20
Dreams
Iron Man VR
Predator Hunting Grounds
Fall Guys

Then we look at what the PS5 will have for its first year:

PS5 First Year Releases:

Spider-Man Miles Morales
Demon's Souls
Kena Bridge of Spirits
Deathloop
Ghostwire Tokyo
Godfall

Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Bugsnax
Destruction Allstars
Returnal

Let's see if they're actually first year:

Horizon Forbidden West
God of War 2 (Ragnarok?)

Congratulating Sony for paying for timed exclusives is stupid as heck. I'll give them that the first-party line-up is good with solid games but nothing really groundbreaking (outside of maybe The Last of Us 2 if you like the genre and we don't know a thing about God of War or Horizon 2).

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Congratulating Sony for paying for timed exclusives is stupid as heck. I'll give them that the first-party line-up is good with solid games but nothing really groundbreaking (outside of maybe The Last of Us 2 if you like the genre and we don't know a thing about God of War or Horizon 2).

Why cross out Iron Man VR? That definitely seems like a partnership for a game that would never be out anyway without Sony helping.

If Sony is partnering up with studios like a Kena and Deathloop, they've helped set up new IP. Partnering up still counts like when Nintendo gets KOEI Tecmo to help make Hyrule Warriors for them.

also what's there to know about GOW and Horizon? Safe bet they'll be excellent games.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It is not. An exclusive is an exclusive. What do u expect microsoft to do when Sony is buying up all these exclusive?
Of course there is a difference.

One is making individual games console exclusive for a specific amount of time and the other is buying a bunch of developers and making all future games exclusive forever.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
It Looks So Weird When You Start Every Word With Capital Letters In The Title

I Don't Think It Deserves Applause, But It's Definitely Been A Strong Year And It Doesn't Seem Like It's Slowing Down Anytime Soon

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Deathloop, they've helped set up new IP. Partnering up still counts like when Nintendo gets KOEI Tecmo to help make Hyrule Warriors for them.

So does Microsoft then, since they'll be funding any future content relative to Deathloop. Come on, reality is that Deathloop was being funded by Zenimax and made by Arkane and Sony or Microsoft have nothing to do with it, other than one of the two preventing a share of players from playing the game. The same applies to Ghostwire. KOEI Tecmo is actively using a brand owned by Nintendo to make that game. The game wouldn't exist without Nintendo.

The Horizon and GOW bit was about them actually releasing during the first year like OP said, I don't doubt they're most likely going to be good games.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
Of course there is a difference.

One is making individual games console exclusive for a specific amount of time and the other is buying a bunch of developers and making all future games exclusive forever.
Again what do people expect Microsoft to do when Sony is paying for all these exclusives? Again your applauding Sony doing the exact thing that Microsoft is getting hate for. Keeping games for the competitors box.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Again what do people expect Microsoft to do when Sony is paying for all these exclusives? Again your applauding Sony doing the exact thing that Microsoft is getting hate for. Keeping games for the competitors box.
Microsoft were doing the exact same thing from the Xbox inception, this isn't a Sony exclusive problem.

You are Also being extremely reductive by equating them to being the same. One goes for timed exclusives unless they are explicitly helping with development and funding, so those games will come to other platforms eventually, the other just walled off an entire range of developers and their IPs forever.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taking out the stuff they just paid to be exclusive to their system and Persona then Sony's done nothing for me this year and PS5 is a big "eh ok" from me.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
One of the strongest ends to a generation and one of the best starts to a gen. They're doing everything right and don't need to panic in the face of MS buying out the competition with exorbitant sums of money.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Predator and Iron Man VR are first party though

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
Microsoft were doing the exact same thing from the Xbox inception, this isn't a Sony exclusive problem.

You are Also being extremely reductive by equating them to being the same. One goes for timed exclusives unless they are explicitly helping with development and funding, so those games will come to other platforms eventually, the other just walled off an entire range of developers and their IPs forever.
What don't u get? I'm being reductive because it's pretty simple concept. Sony is paying for games not to show up on the competitors box. Don't matter if it's timed or not. The launch of a game is insanely important and gives the platform holder the mindshare. It is just as dirty of a move as buying Bethesda or Insomniac but here we are "applauding".

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What don't u get? I'm being reductive because it's pretty simple concept. Sony is paying for games not to show up on the competitors box. Don't matter if it's timed or not. The launch of a game is insanely important and gives the platform holder the mindshare. It is just as dirty of a move as buying Bethesda or Insomniac but here we are "applauding".
You are Just being ridiculous now.

One allows people access to the games on other platforms, the other doesn't.

Anyway, let's leave it at this because it's getting off topic.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
So does Microsoft then, since they'll be funding any future content relative to Deathloop. Come on, reality is that Deathloop was being funded by Zenimax and made by Arkane and Sony or Microsoft have nothing to do with it, other than one of the two preventing a share of players from playing the game. The same applies to Ghostwire. KOEI Tecmo is actively using a brand owned by Nintendo to make that game. The game wouldn't exist without Nintendo.

The Horizon and GOW bit was about them actually releasing during the first year like OP said, I don't doubt they're most likely going to be good games.

we knew nothing about Demons Souls but that's out at launch. I believe those games will make 2021, four and three years for sequels isn't unheard of.

But yeah at the same time, third parties making new IPs and games for your console does count for something. I don't get crossing them all out because Sony first party didn't make it themselves. Plus there are times when it makes sense; like with Iron Man VR. If it's marketing or additional funding or some kind of support that is beneficial to the dev; partnerships aren't always all bad.

Does Sony having Bloodborne not count because it's a From game? Is 13 Sentinels not a exclusive because it was made by Vanillaware and not a Sony dev? Nah they're still very valuable additions to the line ups.