• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not a bad game per se. I was disappointed when it released though. TTS felt like more janky and worse looking game than MGS2. The changed OST was less immersive as well. But mostly it felt worse than 2, which was, even the Substance release, already old by then. The game was also missing basic features from the vanilla MGS1 game, not to mention what Integral added. The dog tag collecting had no purpose whatsoever, unless I'm mistaken. I wasn't too hot on the new cutscenes either, because they felt way too detached from actual gameplay.

But perhaps I would like the game if it was released before MGS2, which ofcourse wouldn't have made sense to actually happen. Though I remember when I played MGS1, I think on PS3, I actually had more fun with that too. The old one is just better. The gameplay is largely the same anyway, just the FP and sleep darts are added but it doesn't really improve the game. It actually made the experience look smaller in scope and kinda broke it.

I was disappointed by TTS, beat it and traded it. And that had nothing to do with SK as I loved Eternal Darkness and didn't know of Dyack yet.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I never played it but never felt the need to as I was a big fan of the original, I dont see how the Ocelot boss fight even works if you can just ... see him and .. point at him .. Anyways

When a developer agrees to take on a game that is owned by someone else, its part of the developers responsibilities to negotiate features, development changes and collaborate with the IP holder. Thats part of the job and it takes skill, you dont know exactly who is to blame for precise things, it could be a case of Kojim being at fault but also SK for not implementing his vision and feedback correctly, or maybe it was SK for not knowing HOW to deal with Kojima and his requests.

Having worked for Star Wars, I can tell you that managing the relationship with Lucas is a key component of whether things will go well or badly for the game. You gotta know when to give in and when to push back, these things are not authoritarian regimes

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Ryuhei Kitamura is 100% the problem with the game. Without his new cutscenes, it'd just be an average remake with sub par voice direction.

With his new cutscenes, it's garbage.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Ryuhei Kitamura is 100% the problem with the game. Without his new cutscenes, it'd just be an average remake with sub par voice direction.

With his new cutscenes, it's garbage.
You would be wrong. Kitamura originally had the cut scenes similar to the original. Hideo Kojima rejected it and wanted him to do something else.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
You would be wrong. Kitamura originally had the cut scenes similar to the original. Hideo Kojima rejected it and wanted him to do something else.
That doesn't make him wrong, Kitamura could've done something that wasn't a 1:1 re-creation of the original cutscenes or turning Snake into a superhuman.

Things like the fight scene against Cyborg Ninja in the cutscene was fine; Snake trying to be silent and stealthy while Liquid and Ocelot were talking, only to side flip and land with a loudass thud was stupid.

He could've easily stylized the cutscenes while retaining Snake's tone.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
As a huge MGS fan, I love the stupid goofy cutscenes but hate everything else.

The added gameplay mechanics with no modifications to room and boss design makes the game trivially easy. David Hayter was the only one that gave a shit in the voice acting booth (though dropping the accents was a good call). The new soundtrack is absolutely terrible. It's a more modern looking game than the original, but I'm not sure if I'd say it's better looking. The original looks pretty great in HD via emulation and the art design holds up pretty well.

Oct 25, 2017
Twin Snakes is good fun and does not stop the original from existing. The series also got more zany as it went on and honestly doesn't stand out as much anymore in the scope of the entire series. There are some gameplay oversights like the ocelot fight but you can choose not to abuse them and still have a good experience. I feel lucky to own a copy of Twin Snakes, the price is rising these days. I'd enjoy a modern port.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
Not exactly, more like gave him creative freedom. Which makes sense since Kojima is a big fan of Kitamura, so it was like fan-service.

And Kojima technically was right. Why even bother hiring Kitamura and doing the same FMVs. Any film editor could do the same for much cheaper.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly, more like gave him creative freedom. Which makes sense since Kojima is a big fan of Kitamura, so it was like fan-service.

And Kojima technically was right. Why even bother hiring Kitamura and doing the same FMVs. Any film editor could do the same for much cheaper.
Honestly I never had a problem with the cutscenes. I'm glad it's different from the original. I never knew the remake was so hated until I saw it on the old site. Was just excited to use MGS2 controls in mgs. Broke many a boss fights.