• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I remember my initial reaction was "Why am I playing MGS2 in MGS1's world?" It was a bizarre.
Also, seeing Mario and Yoshi dolls in the lab was immersion breaking for me for some reason not to mention the really long scenes coupled with not reusing original OSTs and beats made it unplayable for me.

I might have been hard on it back then, I might try it again though.

MGS1 shoehorned in Policenauts footage though, IIRC (although that was part of Otacon's rambling, and nobody knew what Policenauts was).

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
They have nothing to be blamed for.

It's definitely a different take on MGS, but it was a cool remake. At the time people said it was over the top, but now we have shit like Bayonetta and Rising: Revengeance.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Twin Snakes is the VR retelling of MGS1 that Raiden goes through before MGS2

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The only bad part of The Twin Snakes is first-person aiming made the Ocelot fight stupidly easy. Other than that it is better than the PS1 version in every way.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Always wanted to play MGS and, having a GCN, Twin Snakes was my entry point. Loved it and dug the over-the-top-ness that, honestly, became pretty tame by MGS-standards going forward.

This pushed me towards MGS 2 on Xbox and then the holy grail that was day 1 MGS3 on PS2.

Eventually played MGS1. Pretty fun and deserving of the hype it generated in 1998.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Twin Snakes is the VR retelling of MGS1 that Raiden goes through before MGS2

That would be ghost babel, not MGS TTS

ending.gif

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed my time with Twin Snakes and I like the game overall, so definitely not blaming Silicon Knights for anything.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Twin Snakes. Cuts scenes and all. If they like money, they should remake 2,3 and 4 with Ryuhei Kitamura.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
There's plenty of blame to go around for Twin Snakes. A lot of people made a lot of bad decisions.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
xxmgscompare10.jpg

What gets me is that the game is a remake but the graphics ended up being less detailed and more uniform than the original. I'd hardly call it a remake if the art style doesn't follow. Let's not even talk about the music, replacing one of the landmarks of thriller/industrial music into something far less inspired is a crime.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's pretty bad too, in a very different way. Also not the game we are discussing. But I understand you are implying that TS is in tune with the sequels. I strongly disagree.
Like I get back flipping Snake is dumb but it's only a few notches higher then the rest of the series to me. Heck the Gray Fox stuff is tame compared to the shit Raiden does.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
How has no one posted this? Hah
Even aside from the flip, he's going to the other side and jumping into a corner that's a dead end. Apart from that like does he hear better from the other side?

kFstFJL.gif

It was probably Kojima who ok-ed it.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
- Nintendo asked for an exclusive Metal Gear Sold game for a Nintendo system since the N64 days, it was Konami's choice to remake MGS and Kojima who gave their blessing
- SK only got involved because Kojima was busy with MGS3
- SK were forced to use the Sons of Liberty Engine
- While gameplay criticisms are on SK's head..It was Kojima who's choice was to remake the cut scenes using Ryuhei Kitamura as director

So I think it's unfair that Silicon Knights got all the flack and Kojima came out of the situation squeaky clean. There were many factors influencing the development, and I think a lot of the criticisms are unfairly put square on Silicon Knights shoulders.

Then again I like The Twin Snakes and it's a shame it'll be forever lost in gaming history.
Okay Dennis

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
It's a pretty good game. Though I really disliked some changes. They should've kept the original soundtracks. And the voice acting is weaker.

I also liked Mei Ling's accent in the original; it was charming and memorable. "in china they say..."

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Can we stop mentioning this game? It deserves to remain forgotten.

I'm a massive MGS fan and this version should never have happened.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Yes. Surprised at what other people are saying about SK not getting the blame since that's been my experience online (maybe people confuse it with Dennis Dyack hate which is understandable). I think it's a good enough game and that the original is always there if people want it.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Feels petty to blame a dev studio for a game being bad, or i guess in this case underwhelming.At least a personal blame that I'll hold over their heads. MGS1 is a perfect game and far superior to the remake in almost every way. Music and the over the top cutscenes are for sure the biggest issue. With the music, I did'nt feel any emotional resonance with the characters, like I did in MGS1. With the over the top cutscenes, it's not their existence that bothers me, but that they didn't really fit teh scenes they were used in. It felt out of place when Snake started doing all those flips, or action heavy moments, and the reaosn for that is because the story wasn't designed for those moments. IF they wanted to include them, the story needed to be altered a little bit for those moments to make sense.

Overall I'd say it's an alright game, but one of hte worse Metal Game gears, which isn't a huge insult since there is no bad Metal gear game and most of them are amazing.