• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
It will be back and forth between the two depending on various titles. I do think the differences are much smaller this time and its simply gonna be a trade off on every game wherby the XSX can do something better and faster or vice versas.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
based on cross-gen games? lol

we have no idea how both consoles will perform yet, none of those games are made to them

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, with less than a month since launch, it is safe to say we've seen everything that could possibly come up, because launch games are the best metric.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The generation is just barely starting and we have mostly seen cross-gen games. It's too early to tell.

Currently I believe that the Series X will pull ahead of the PS5 eventually, but the differences will still be tiny between the two. Perhaps the same difference we are seeing now where the PS5 is on top, but with the Series X taking that top spot.
This is all I'm expecting at most. Both platforms are gonna sing in the near future.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
If the PS5 is the leading console, and I expect it to be, there will never be significant performance advantage on the XBSX. Both console will perform very similarly in most case.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
These are complex systems with a lot of interacting factors that we aren't privy to.

And that's even before factoring in software complexities.
That said - the early data does seem to point at rasterization performance between the two being remarkably close. It'd be ironic if it turns out that the 'secret sauce' is the only thing that changes things around - in either direction - since it's doubtful early sw is taking much advantage of it on either so far.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 is a beast, so happy with what Cerny came up with. An excellent machine for sure and the fact that it even competes with the XSX is an amazing achievement. Long term we still may see the XSX perform better but the differences will not be as substantial as once thought.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I think all 3 systems will eventually perform similar when it comes to frame rate. RDNA2 seems to scale well at lower resolutions, as can be seen with XSS. The performance dips with XSX will eventually be fixed.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Power consumption never takes into account efficiency. Just because one thing draws more power than another, doesn't mean it will be better. Never has

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Tbe difference in gpu power in xbsx and ps5 is a lot closer than ps4 bs Xbone. Probably like half of that. It's going to be near identical

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PS5 is a beast, so happy with what Cerny came up with. An excellent machine for sure and the fact that it even competes with the XSX is an amazing achievement. Long term we still may see the XSX perform better but the differences will not be as substantial as once thought.

Equal performance and available for $100 less. PS5:DE is the best deal in gaming.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Do you see how Ubisoft fixed the XSX version of AC:V?

That's what we will be getting from multiplets all of this gen. The only areas that the XSX is better than the PS5 are areas that are ultimately tied to resolution.

What that means is that as long as engines use DRS, you can always achieve parity as far as framerates go, with the fluctuations or shifts in resolutions so minor or brief that the average IQ between the XSX andPS5would be pretty much identical.

Basically, if you ever see a game where one platform is running at 60fps and the other runs at sub 60fps (50-59fps) then it simply means the lower bound of its rez scaler was set too high. This is what dynamic resolutions allow. Everything else about these consoles means that all other areas would be equal. They can push the same geometry, the same quality of textures (tied to RAM amount)...etc.
I agree with that, that resolution will be the difference in most cases, but there were people saying the series x will have an edge with ray tracing due to having hardware and software solutions better suited for performance with it. Also that we wont see major difference until the cross gen period is over anyway.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
What one can safely tell is that neither of the platforms have shown their true power yet. :)

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see a few years down the line when devs get a better grasp of the hardware and tools. At least until we stop getting crossgen titles.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually quite surprised how close these are, like how multiplat devs are actually trying to make both versions perform and look the same without leaving the other box in the dust. I remember the PS2/Xbox/GC era where sometimes even whole sections are different. Case in point: Splinter Cell.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so. Threads with people losing their shit over 3 frame drops has been entertaining as fuck. I welcome more of that fuckery l.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Fees like everyone will be satisfied with the plastic box they buy this time around. Unless their enjoyment comes from scrubbing through videos showing very minute differences.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I do laugh at the thought that before the consoles got released, console Warriors were thinking that the closest in power difference in the two consoles we've ever had was going to mean true 4k for the Xbox with the ps5 having to settle for 1440 or 1080

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
So many horrendous takes, everyone is a developer on this forum apparently

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's more likely the Tflop / cu count don't mean much for next-gen gaming than PS5 is outperforming a "more powerful" machine.

I think most of the stuff Cerny talked about will be the differentiating factor between consoles, he seemed to specify areas that are helpful as resolutions and assets increase going into next-gen

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I agree with that, that resolution will be the difference in most cases, but there were people saying the series x will have an edge with ray tracing due to having hardware and software solutions better suited for performance with it. Also that we wont see major difference until the cross gen period is over anyway.
RT, is also tied to resolution.

And that's what this simply all comes down to. Resolution. And no matter what people say here, or how good anything becomes in any version of the future, we will at best see a 10-17% advantage on the XSX over the PS5. At some point, even if its only 5%, 10% or 15%, the XSX would perform better than the PS5. But the simple truth of the matter is that all that performance advantage would simply come down to resolutions.

2160p is ~8M pixels.

15% less is ~6.8M pixels aka 1944p.
10% less is ~7.2M pixels aka 2016p.

That is what resolution scaling is all about, when everything else is pretty much identical with the PS5 even being ahead in some areas, scaling resolution is the easiest way to maintain parity in performance between the consoles.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Most of us don't have an eye for this stuff and would only know the difference because content creators like Digital Foundry and NX Gamer pointed them out to us. The differences will be negligible. It's Series S owners that will be impacted the most because MS's claims of only resolution differences already don't hold up.

Stillmatic

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The difference was apparent right out the gate last gen, so I'd say if there was to be a clear edge one way or the other we would've seen evidence of it already.

I'd expect things to stay super close.

Droid

Banned
Nov 27, 2020
How can anyone possibly know or make such a bold claim? Time will tell of course.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I expect 3rd party games to perform better on the series x in the future simply based on the power difference. This is coming from someone that has zero intention to ever buy a series x.

I don't think its going to be as significant as some people thought (hoped) it would be. But there will be a slight difference.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I expect they'll always be pretty close. Developers have been targeting the same framerates and resolutions on both machines with pretty much every game. It's not the 1080p/720p disaster from the start of last gen. Some will run a little better on one console, others will run a little better on the other. Whatever.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think we can probably conclude at this point that the gap is so close 99% of people are going to rely on Digital Foundry's super in-depth testing procedures to even know what the difference is to begin with.

And if that's the case, I'd ponder whether it even matters.

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you guys so obsessed with making definitive statements like this so early on??? These consoles have only been out for a few weeks

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I swear some console folk are more obsessed with performance than most PC gamers. The only difference being that PC gamers care about getting the best out of their own system while said console folk seem more interested in beating the 'enemy'.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
No. It's been three weeks, mostly cross-gen, and a pandemic I wouldn't say this is what to expect for the next 7 years any more than I would say that PS5 SSD speed bonuses are only going to be 2-3 second load times over series X. I will wait and see.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Series X will eventually pull away so far that the PS5 will be left in the dust. Once its tools have matured. IDK

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Can we accurately predict how computational resources are used in software in the future - no, the answer is always no.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't the gap roughly 20% anyways? Less than the gap between ps4/XB1 and PS4pro/xb1x? I doubt it'll be a significant difference if the series x begins running games better down the road.

Series X will eventually pull away so far that the PS5 will be left in the dust. Once its tools have matured. IDK
You think there is that big of a power gap?

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
It was never going to be measured by some marketing spiel or most powerful hardware claims or terraflop counts. Even devs and folks like Mark Cerny have stated as such.

And it's ok.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So far most of the multiplatform games are showing slightly better results on PS5 than on XSX. Many people believe that this is due to early version of MS libraries or some bug in the game. So my question is that should we expect even after fixing these issues, XSX is not going to race ahead in the performance and start showing some 10-15% (equivalent to computational advantage) performance advantage and PS5 is going to continue showing at par performance.

based On the performance of cross gen titles?

Status
Not open for further replies.