• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
To early to tell.

But so far it's good for the PS5, and maybe an indicative that the raw power difference won't be a significant issue at all.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
i think series x might edge ahead slightly in terms of pixel count as we go through the gen

however my gut also tells me that the ps5 might stay the framerate champ

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
We literally have no idea. Instinct would say that the Series X will eventually pull out ahead but absolutely nobody currently knows if that'll happen or not.

Wait and see. It's too early to have these discussions.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I dont think we can safely say there will be parity in the future for the most demanding games, they have parity now but if I had to guess the series x will have an advantage in the future but probably not as big as some might have thought (I think the biggest differences will be seen on GPU limited games and games that use ray tracing more).

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
It's safe to say that multiplatform games will be extremely close in performance and first party games will show what each system is really capable of.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Dynamic Resolution Scaling.

When a lot of people realize just what that means for these next-gen consoles, a lot of people would also realize how silly they were to think we would not be seeing parity between them.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
The only thing that's safe to say is that the consoles are extremely close in performance and people should've listened to I guess literally everyone that said not to jump to conclusion based one a single performance metric.

in terms of where things go in the future it's a bit harder to say, the most likely but far from certain scenario is that tools will improve and consoles will trade blows based on workload and bottlenecks, it seems exceedingly likely that some kind of 20%+ performance delta in general performance just isn't gonna happen.

And this is the best possible outcome we could have had, picking a platform is now about the ecosystem and exclusives.

Performance is generally always going to be very close.
And there you have it.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
It would be really weird if the system with better CPU, GPU and RAM wasn't slightly ahead most of the time once we have a long sample across the entire generation.

Having said that, the existence of games that perform better on PS4 Pro than XB1X should remind everyone that the key limiting factor is usually dev time and investment, not the precise number of megahertz they have to work with. Especially when the two systems are this similar.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
The two systems will essentially be identical for most games I suspect. The "advantage" XSX bears in terms of raw number will not likely translate to any significant gameplay differences. The "Xbox dev kits were late and not as well developed" defense will be forgotten as mostly hogwash in a few years time. Almost everyone will equally enjoy playing a game on XSX or PS5.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I dont think we can safely say there will be parity in the future for the most demanding games, they have parity now but if I had to guess the series x will have an advantage in the future but probably not as big as some might have thought (I think the biggest differences will be seen on GPU limited games and games that use ray tracing more).
Do you see how Ubisoft fixed the XSX version of AC:V?

That's what we will be getting from multiplets all of this gen. The only areas that the XSX is better than the PS5 are areas that are ultimately tied to resolution.

What that means is that as long as engines use DRS, you can always achieve parity as far as framerates go, with the fluctuations or shifts in resolutions so minor or brief that the average IQ between the XSX andPS5would be pretty much identical.

Basically, if you ever see a game where one platform is running at 60fps and the other runs at sub 60fps (50-59fps) then it simply means the lower bound of its rez scaler was set too high. This is what dynamic resolutions allow. Everything else about these consoles means that all other areas would be equal. They can push the same geometry, the same quality of textures (tied to RAM amount)...etc.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i can definitively say that the switch will run games better than both in the future

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The consoles are very close in power, much closer than last gen with PS4/PS4 Pro and Xbox One/Xbox One X. There likely will not be a big or very visible difference.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Hard to say. We're still waiting for a game that shows off the power of the Series X afaik. Which is pretty pathetic.

Oct 29, 2017
Nope. The One X had a clear edge. It is going to be smaller, but until the devtools mature, it's unclear and there seems to be strange deficiencies with Microsoft's tools. By all means early gen should've been a clear win for Xbox, so something has to be wrong.

After 3-4 years, with tech like Nanite, the SSD is going to have a bigger focus, which will give an edge towards the PS5.

While I was sceptical at first and expected the Xbox to be leading for a while right after the start, I believe that with the long-term advantages of the SSD Cerny was ultimately right, although I still take the sick overclocking as an advantage with a grain of salt.

Flashy Wizard

Nov 19, 2019
Florida
Wait until code that's designed to hammer the CPUs starts rolling out and then we can assess. Right now it's way too early. The PS5 is designed all guns blazing and is beasting right now. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I personally expect a longer period of time with PS5 games looking better under a microscope.

I expect developers to grasp the GDK and having all games that are put under a microscope to perform better on XSX.

but as we know they're very close in power so who cares anyway

Oct 30, 2017
I'll be curious how things fare when games are regularly using next gen graphical effects that aren't particularly present in cross gen titles.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
It's too early to tell. I'm guessing though that the differences will be so small to matter to anyone outside of console warriors.

Oct 28, 2017
I think the extent to which we will see differences in performance in future titles may come down to the extent to which each console manages to implement some equivalent of DLSS.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I don't think it really matters in the end. The difference is so negligible there will be no visible effect

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Lol, it's not even "too early to tell", the difference in CPU performance on PS5 vs Series X is lesser than the difference between PS4 and Xbox One. Look at how things turned out last time around, and there's your answer.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I'll be curious how things fare when games are regularly using next gen graphical effects that aren't particularly present in cross gen titles.
Simple. Dynamic resolution scaling.

That is the single biggest thing about modern game engines. Unfortunately, most people don't seem to be taking notice.

If while running game, all you have to do to chive parity (a target framerate) is drop your resolution from 2160p to 2088p, and if that's not enough to 1944p... a couple of frames here and there in any given second. Why won't devs use that? And how in God's name would anyone be able to tell the difference?

If scaling rez between 2160p down to 1440p or even a tad lower, as long as most of the game is spent in the higher resolutions, anything above 1800p, it would be nigh impossible to tell it apart from a native 4K image.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I think the reflections of people in the game scenery will be 4.7% more reflective in my console of choice.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The differences will be so small it wouldn't matter either way, the fanboys will only know when DF or whoever tell them and the games that best use the system will be from 1st party and not appear on the other.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'm not sure why we'd safely say anything after three weeks. I also don't think I particularly care, since most third party games are going to look nearly identical on both systems anyway.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Doubtful. The systems aren't woefully underpowered this gen. No need for a PS5 Pro.
They need to bring upgrades if they want to have better RT performance. The gen started and the consoles barely keep up with PCs when it comes to RT performance - and we are talking about cross gen games.

But yeah it's not nearly as bad as last gen.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't expect many differences one way or another.

What I am interested in is seeing how far both can be pushed.

Deleted member 84721

User requested account closure
Nov 5, 2020
What makes you think XSX has more computational power exactly ?
Please don't say Tflops unless you fully understand how and when the theoretical performance that a TFLOPS spec tells you is actually achieved.
In reality the two GPUs trade blows and one will be faster than the other in different tasks, and not in a very significant way.
The smallest differences between the two consoles ever, + VRR + DRS, makes this a much more pointless discussion this gen.
What will matter is the games. Which has always been really the case for consoles.

Edit: to expand on my point about TFLOPS, they tell you absolutely nothing about how you're loading your data, how often are you running into cache misses and how you rectify that, as well as a host of other things. It's simply not a metric that translates linearly into actual performance in a game. it's correlated to overall performance but not a figure that directly represents game performance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.