• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
This is infuriatingly common, it's used so freely and without explanation, and in so many cases where it evidently does not apply the word has become literally meaningless yet still steeped in spite and even disgust.

Not to mention that i have not even seen myself a single case where a post accusing something of being pretentious had itself any substance in its accusation, literally being itself pretentious wankery. It's an endless, meaningless cycle that lowers the conversation every single time.

Please, can someone just make a script where every time you write the word it switches for a random adjective or something. It's really draining to read it all the fucking time and it NEVER means anything of substance.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
You know damn well what word the replies are gonna be filled with on this one.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
just another elitist screed from the vocal minority. that's my hot take, at least. i'll use words however i wanna do. language evolves, don't you know.

the real shame is that this - /s - is necessary so that people can distinguish this post from a real post

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Pretentious is often used as a shorthand for "I'm too lazy to try to understand what this thing is about"

OP
OP
julia crawford

julia crawford

Oct 27, 2017
You know damn well what word the replies are gonna be filled with on this one.

I know. People are always quick to prove how shitty they are, or how unseriously they take any topic that's not about their stance on american politics or whether Vader has a dickhole in his pants or whatever Star Wars is about these days.

But it's still a problem, and at least they'll be proving it here too.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I usually just add anyone who uses that word to ignore since pretentious is a word that has lost all meaning, especially on this forum.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It seems silly to ban words because people don't know how to use.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Dude you don't get to make a thread about words being useless while also leaning on the word "literally" in it.

I'm all for being a grammar Nazi and a pretentious snob when it comes to language but let's hammer down our priorities here

OP
OP
julia crawford

julia crawford

Oct 27, 2017
It seems silly to ban words because people don't know how to use.

It's silly but it's also an exercise to make people use other words to write the same sentiment.

Dude you don't get to make a thread about words being useless while also leaning on the word "literally" in it.

I'm all for being a grammar Nazi and a pretentious snob when it comes to language but let's hammer down our priorities here

I am using it in its classical sense, i did not mean it in the figurative sense.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Let's start burning the books we don't like while we're at it huh? Language must be stopped!

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
This is infuriatingly common, it's used so freely and without explanation, and in so many cases where it evidently does not apply the word has become literally meaningless yet still steeped in spite and even disgust.

Not to mention that i have not even seen myself a single case where a post accusing something of being pretentious had itself any substance in its accusation, literally being itself pretentious wankery. It's an endless, meaningless cycle that lowers the conversation every single time.

Please, can someone just make a script where every time you write the word it switches for a random adjective or something. It's really draining to read it all the fucking time and it NEVER means anything of substance.
This is hard to accept given how often you used a word like "literally."

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's silly but it's also an exercise to make people use other words to write the same sentiment.

I am using it in its classical sense, i did not mean it in the figurative sense.
Too authoritarian. Why bend toward compliance over education? I see a future with the CCP for you, OP lol.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of posts made on this forum could be described as pretentious, accurately.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes things are apparently steeped in pretense and we need an adjective capable of indicating that.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

I know. People are always quick to prove how shitty they are, or how unseriously they take any topic that's not about their stance on american politics or whether Vader has a dickhole in his pants or whatever Star Wars is about these days.

preĀ·tenĀ·tious
/prəĖˆten(t)SHəs/
adjective

1. attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.
    "a pretentious literary device"
Assuming your personal crusade against the misuse of a word you do not care for should carry equal significance to, or greater significance than, others expressing their views on a subject that directly affects hundreds of millions of lives, and indirectly affects billions of lives, is honestly pretty damn pretentious.

And that's a correct use of the word.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The front page is turning into things John Kowalski doesn't like.

Slow down buddy. Or start a blog.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You act as though this site isn't full of pretentiousness. Maybe it's used incorrectly from time to time but there are a hell of a lot of people who deserve to be called out for it.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
The only take away I got after reading the OP is that we should ban the word "literally."

OP
OP
julia crawford

julia crawford

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming your personal crusade against the misuse of a word you do not care for should carry equal significance to, or greater significance than, others expressing their views on a subject that directly affects hundreds of millions of lives, and indirectly affects billions of lives, is honestly pretty damn pretentious.

And that's a correct use of the word.

The problem is not that they care about politics. It's that seemingly few topics beside it escape endless mockery about how insignificant they are, the active devaluing of threads that are outside the scope of a small subset of topics.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Is it a new age hipster trope to dislike popular words even though their popularity proves that they are effective as a tool of communication?

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've even seen anyone use that word on here in the last few months. In fact, the only egregious example I can think of is that one thread where this guy was mad at a movie and called it pretentious... can't remember the name though.

Anyway, I'm sure someone can write you a script.

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see it used that often on this forum, honestly.

I do think it's a meaningless criticism much like calling something overrated is, though. Personally I find that more annoying and I see it plenty here.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019
I refuse to drop the word pretentious when it comes to some art. If you want, I can just use the shorthand word: lazy. A lot of the post modern and later stuff coming out now is just absolute trash. When the concept is 99.9 percent more than the actual execution/craft, then I will happily call it pretentious art. And I say that as a professional artist.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is not that they care about politics. It's that seemingly few topics beside it escape endless mockery about how insignificant they are, the active devaluing of threads that are outside the scope of a small subset of topics.
My point is that this particular subject is not of any real import, and that particular piece of your sentence is assigning it the value of its being treated as though it were not important being evidence of others treating subjects that are of equal import to or greater import than that one as though they were less important. This topic doesn't carry the weight of that particular subject and thus cannot serve to prove that point. Your point would have been made better including only the Vader portion. Thus an object lesson on the purpose and use of the term "pretentious" and why it needs no ban.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Erasing innocuous words is a great idea. We should all aim to become morons just to placate people

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I had a period of about a month where I would block anyone unironically using the word pretentious. They're still blocked.

Oct 28, 2017

Isn't this...

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I think it's used fine most of the time.

But yeah some people do use it for works possessing great culture / gravitas, rather than a hollow affectation thereof.