• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I won't be doing any advance Black Friday shopping. Might need to go out to the local liquor store in the morning for some emergency wine, but that's about it.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
source.gif

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love it. Used to be a cashier at Whole Foods. During holidays, all you'd hear from customers is: "I'm so sorry you have to work today." Retail is only open because customers go shopping.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Love it. Used to be a cashier at Whole Foods. During holidays, all you'd hear from customers is: "I'm so sorry you have to work today." Retail is only open because customers go shopping.
I actually said something like that to a customer's face once.

Customer: "I'm so sorry you have to work today"
Me: "If you didn't come to my store, I wouldn't have to, so thanks, I guess"

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still remember the last time I worked Thanksgiving, at Best Buy a few years ago.

It was hectic, but it went fast because it was so busy.

FAR FAR WORSE was when I worked at Walgreens a few before that and had to work Christmas day.

Pure agony.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
How many years in a row do depressed Lions fans have to be reminded that their team sucks on the day we're all supposed to give thanks?

Detroiters have only that bit of optimism from the time they wake up on Thanksgiving Day until part way through the First quarter to sustain them through the next full year's worth of Lions disappointment.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I'm going to a restaurant for Thanksgiving that does a high end buffet because I don't feel like cooking for 3 people.

Weird thing they're doing but for the price, I'm sure everyone gets paid well.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually said something like that to a customer's face once.

Customer: "I'm so sorry you have to work today"
Me: "If you didn't come to my store, I wouldn't have to, so thanks, I guess"
Yikes? I worked customer service for years (retail and food) and never felt the need to be this rude to someone expressing a kind thought, even if it's misguided. I feel people here really overblow how horrific the experience of working retail is. It's what you make of it. Have a shit attitude and you'll feel like it's shit all the time.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I never have and will never shop on Thanksgiving. It's wrong. Stay the fuck home. You don't need that shitty TV with outdated specs or a blender you'll never use. Just keep your sorry ass at home for once. Go the next day or sometime in the weekend if you must.

Transistor

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Yikes? I worked customer service for years (retail and food) and never felt the need to be this rude to someone expressing a kind thought, even if it's misguided. I feel people here really overblow how horrific the experience of working retail is. It's what you make of it. Have a shit attitude and you'll feel like it's shit all the time.
Working for Hollywood Video was truly horrific. My power hungry manager sure didn't help things. Throughout my time there, he ran off so many employees with his bullshit.
?

If the store wasn't open, they wouldn't come to it either, so where's the blame?
If the stores had zero foot traffic, they wouldn't bother opening. My experience was also on Christmas Day, not Thanksgiving, but the sentiment is the same.
That's a bit petty of you, to be honest...
This customer I had seen be extremely rude to one of my fellow employees on multiple occasions (thinking back years later, they were probably pretty racist), so I had no issue being snarky with them. Plus I was, like, 17 at the time. I've matured a lot since then.

Last edited:

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I've never shopped on Thanksgiving Day, so I am down with this, but it won't be a new commitment, so I won't really be adding anything to this.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
I didn't blame the customers for showing up. Companies want you to blame the customers so that the moral failings of capitalism are pinned on individual consumers instead of unethical corporations or the system itself. Plenty of companies choose to remain closed on Thanksgiving regardless of consumer demand.

This 100%. Same way people are shamed about tipping when restaurants could just pay livable wages and the same way consumers are shamed about plastic straws when it's major corporations causing 99% of climate change.

People will continue blaming each other and the bosses will keep laughing all the way to the bank.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Plus, after eating a ton of food, and possibly drinking beer, wine and other spirits, why on Earth would you want to deal with crowds of people, at night, in the cold at a department store? You really have nothing else better to do? My ass is chillin taking a nap. To hell with everyone else.

No one works retail because they fucking want to. They do it because they have bills. I wish people had a bit more empathy and got over "Imma a customer and want stuff. Gimme gimme". The world doesn't revolve around you and your unending desire to want useless shit. It wouldn't kill you to maybe think about other people for 5 seconds, instead of attempting to satisfy yourself all the time.

It's one reason, out of many, why I just hate people.

Last edited:

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working for Hollywood Video was truly horrific. My power hungry manager sure didn't help things. Throughout my time there, he ran off so many employees with his bullshit.
Ah yah, a bad manager will absolutely make any job, but especially retail, an absolute hell. Sorry you had to go through that. I was fortunate to work with good manages and had the chance to try and be a good manager myself for a short bit.

Transistor

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Ah yah, a bad manager will absolutely make any job, but especially retail, an absolute hell. Sorry you had to go through that. I was fortunate to work with good manages and had the chance to try and be a good manager myself for a short bit.
It's cool. All in the past now. It was the job that truly taught me how to treat retail employees and gave me a good incentive to work on my professional career.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Plus, after eating a ton of food, and possibly drinking beer, wine and other spirits, why on Earth would you want to deal with crowds of people, at night, in the cold at a department store? You really have nothing else better to do? My ass is chillin taking a nap. To hell with everyone else.

Same goes for when stores weren't open on Thanksgiving and people lined up for hours early in the morning (or maybe the night before) to save a couple hundred bucks. I did that at times when I was younger, now my time and sleep is worth more than any savings that isn't in the thousands.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I have never shopped out Thanksgiving outside of like a can of cranberry sauce at a grocery store before it closed at noon.

Generally, retail madness isn't for me.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
After the great Circuit City Debacle of 2006, I haven't gone out shopping in person for Thanksgiving or Black Friday since.
Don't plan on starting now.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
What's a Thanksgiving? I don't remember her.

I've seen Christmas decorations up before Halloween got here. Christmas music started playing Nov 1st. The keep playing a movie.....that's set at Christmas time....Home Alone...at Thanksgiving.

Every year Christmas season starts earlier n earlier.

There is no Thanksgiving. They need to rename it Christmas Eve. And still make it a holiday.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I got unlucky this years and I unfortunately I have to work, but I'm not in retail and I'll bring my food. No need for me to go out and buy anything so I'm game.

Oct 25, 2017
My family can't cook, I have to listen to shit political opinions/bitching about other family members from people twice my age at least, and worst of all I have to watch the Detroit Lions and Dallas Cowboys play football again

I'm gonna keep it real with you, I'm probably going shopping with my friends that night

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, if you sign up for a retail job you've got to expect that you will work Thanksgiving and/or Black Friday. Splitting Black Friday deals up probably helps them to some extent, since shoppers are spread out between Thanksgiving Night and Black Friday proper. It's not just 4 million people descending on a store at 5AM.

My Thanksgiving is pretty much over by 5PM anyway, so I go shopping on Thanksgiving night if there are any good deals going on. I don't go out unless I stand to save a couple hundred bucks though. Not worth it just to buy some videogames at a $20 discount or some toothbrush heads. If there's an insane deal on a TV set I might go out this year, but beyond that I will probably stay in.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I think mostly I can agree with this. The problem is, a lot of American workers are off on that day. They don't get off on Black Friday. So, unless we are going to move the deals to the weekend, people are going to want to shop on the day they are off. Personally speaking, I would have off Thursday but not Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Forgive me for wanting to find the deals on my day off.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
It's how I get back at the white man for killing us all on that day

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Something about starting all the sales Thursday evening just doesn't feel right, but I don't even participate in Black Friday either. There isn't anything worth the cash (as in its all entertainment systems anyway) to deal with that nonsense that you can't order online.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I'll do as much online as I can. Maybe go really late after the festivities or the next morning depending on whether or not I work.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
My disdain for traffic and retail store crowds saw to this already. Ditto for Black Friday. Nevermind it costs less(time & money) to shop online.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
It is ridiculous with employees not even given the day off on Thanksgiving. I don't shop locally at all Thur-Sunday, I do everything online if I do get anything. And often I find things online for cheap before that Thursday so there isn't even a reason to wait.