• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Come on y'all, they'll only keep doing this if the numbers support it.
The fun part of Black Friday was waking up early or staying up late to go to Walmart at 5 am.
those days are gone.
you can go the night before or just buy things online.
so let's just buy things online.
or go on Friday.
Retail employees don't really have leverage when it comes to declining the schedule.
Let's help them out.
Thanksgiving is a beautiful holiday, and they're ruining it.

let's not shop thanksgiving day.
who's with me

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019
Almost anyone who's with you was already with you, I would imagine.

To be clear, I agree. People should not be shopping on thanksgiving day. But human beings are the worst.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Boycott Black Friday? I'm down, but people have been trying to organize that for years now and it never comes off.

Oct 25, 2017
Only remotely good thing about working Thanksgiving at Walmart was having some damn good lunch for free for two days.
otherwise that shit sucked.

boomroasted

Oct 25, 2017
The only brick and mortar shopping I've ever done on Black Friday is for Bourbon County. I'll likely shop a little on Thanksgiving but it will be online only.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Shopping thursday after eating just seems like the most miserable fucking thing and I feel pain in my soul for anyone who chooses to do it

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Can we also stop watching football so that all those poor souls working in television production can have the day with their families?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If you're just talking retail and I can still shop online, I'm all for it, but I was in before you started the thread so it's not like I needed convincing.

Heck, I'll do you one better and not go out at all on Black Friday either and just shop online.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
I'm broke and all the things I want are usually never on sale that day so I wont be getting anything like the last few years.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Way ahead of you. It's shitty that retail workers have to work on Thanksgiving.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just shop online. You can do it on your phone and there are plenty of online deals. No need to go rushing to the store unless there's some crazy doorbuster you really need

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
My family's on the other side of the country and I can't get enough time off work to go visit, so I'm happy to pick up a couple cheap video games if I get the chance. If I can find Control and RE2 for Target's prices online I'd happily do that, but do any Cyber Monday deals even get announced before Black Friday's over?

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
In all of my 39 years I have never gone to shop on black Friday. I worked one black Friday selling appliances, great big commission check for one 12 hour day, it was three months worth of average commission.

My wife did black Friday once, and declared, "Never again, people are insane!"

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah imma def shop, and even if all of ERA stayed home it wouldn't put a single dent in Black Friday shopping. If you don't like working thanksgiving, don't work retail.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing like buying things online and having the people slave away on Thanksgiving at fulfilment centers

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird how you say online shopping doesn't count when UPS and Amazon workers probably have it worse this time of year than people working retail.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, their schedules will probably still go as usual. Even if nobody shows up, they arent going home either.

Even if you shop online, people have to be monitoring network traffic, application performance and all that stuff so people are working that day anyway. Not to mention shipping all that shit people buy.

It is way too ingrained in culture now.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Online definitely count, and you are lying to yourself if you say it doesn't.

I'm only scoping for pricing errors.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I used to love getting time and a half plus holiday pay. My family expects me to go shopping at this point too; I feel like I'm buying more stuff for them to use/give as gifts than I do for myself.

No thanks, at least at this stage. It's too late.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
And all these negative ass selfish ass can't read ass replies are why no big grassroots event will ever happen in our comfortable ass consumer ass complacent ass "my drop in the puddle" ass shit country.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
i've got too much junk in my house which gets in the way of shopping thanksgiving. also black friday has few deals since all of november and december is black friday now so lol

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And all these negative ass selfish ass can't read ass replies are why no big grassroots event will ever happen in our comfortable ass consumer ass complacent ass "my drop in the puddle" ass shit country.
You should have learned this already by now.

It's too late for Thanksgiving. You can't close Pandora's box once opened.

Oct 29, 2017
I do pretty much nothing on Thanksgiving day except cook and eat. I definitely would not shop on Thanksgiving thursday, no worries there. I worked retail for almost a decade, and would not wish the holiday season retail life on anyone.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
When I was working at Walgreens, I hated when people apologized to me for the fact that I had to work on holidays.

Bitch, I wouldn't have to work if you didn't create the demand for it by being here.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't shop for normal things on thanksgiving like electronics or anything, but sometimes we need to go get some ingredients we may have forgotten for some food, but otherwise I definitely won't be trying to go out at all.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will be my first Black Friday not working retail so I will probably go to my old store later in the evening to say hi to everyone and maybe get something to eat for my friends that still work there.

I didn't blame the customers for showing up. Companies want you to blame the customers so that the moral failings of capitalism are pinned on individual consumers instead of unethical corporations or the system itself. Plenty of companies choose to remain closed on Thanksgiving regardless of consumer demand.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can make that pact. Mostly because I plan to be busy on Thanksgiving watching football in a food coma and "going shopping" sounds like a pain in the ass anyway.