• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2017
As someone who grew up with dungeons and dragons and early crpgs, you make a character, which makes logical sense.
The first time I heard toon, it made me irrationally mad.
Sign me up.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I believe WoW players use it quite often.

I've not heard it once, must be a regional thing.

It's "char" (when typed, spoke it's just "character"), or usually just "main" or "alt".
Failing that, they refer to the class, since most play many.

Never once has anyone I've ever played with since beta uttered or typed the word "toon" in WoW.

Obviously this has not been the experience of most people, reading through this thread.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
as an old mmo player, how scared should i be?
sorry but you're on The List now
znnawqve

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
I've not heard it once, must be a regional thing.

It's "char" (when typed, spoke it's just "character"), or usually just "main" or "alt".
Failing that, they refer to the class, since most play many.

Never once has anyone I've ever played with since beta uttered or typed the word "toon" in WoW.

Obviously this has not been the experience of most people, reading through this thread.
You don't know how lucky you are. I heard it in Storwind this one time and it filled me with disgust. Had to roll undead and go on a human rampage to clean the filth.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Different folks have different terms man.

I know it's hard to accept, but you gotta let go.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Fuck yeah let's go

Also it's iPhone X and XR not Ten and Ten R suck it nerds

A..avatar? Or.. character? "Let me load my character" *changes shirt that's now dripping sweat from all the work that was*

But toon is only 4 letters!

Char can substitute but people don't seem to get what it means

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in support.

I've heard this said in person, and I had to stop the person with a "what did you just say?" I knew what they meant but I wanted to challenge such a stupid word.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I've definitely experienced way more people upset about people saying "toon" than I have people actually saying "toon"

feels like I'm being pranked

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
9 outta 10 times pretty sure the toonsayers are going to kick yo ass, but yea go ahead and try lol.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Never played WoW, but played EQ 1 & 2 and it was always known as "alts". But never heard of toons and now wish I didn't.

I don't think physically assaulting them is enough. I say we take off and nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely an mmo thing, I personally never used it but a lot of the people I was guilds in used it. You had toons and some people like me said mains and alts.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I like it, it's faster to say, and doesn't sound as weird as char, alt is okay, but I have multiple main toons in WoW when I played.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Who the fuck says toon to their character? I am an old fart in the gaming sense and I have never heard that in my life. Not in EQ, not in WoW or anywhere else? What are these weirdos on?

Last edited:

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
I've been playing MMOs my whole life I have never ever heard or seen someone call their character a toon. Is it really from ToonTown online? You would think there would be plenty of crossover with RuneScape. But nope never seen it.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I heard about people "twinking their toons" for exactly one year back in the day, and then never heard it again for decades. Guess most people got sent to the toon gulags.

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
I've always wondered where it originated. First time I heard it was 1999, with the launch of EverQuest.

The one I really don't like is "dolly" referring to TTRPG (D&D, Pathfinder, etc).

I'm down for violence.

I've been playing MMOs my whole life I have never ever heard or seen someone call their character a toon. Is it really from ToonTown online? You would think there would be plenty of crossover with RuneScape. But nope never seen it.

No, because it was around before Toontown came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.