• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Super heroes are often nerfed when theyare adapted in cartoons, for the sake of story and (maybe?)budget.

Superman in the DCAU can been seen struggling while lifting trucks, flash speed is not often peaking(although he goes quite fast against Brainiac) and overall many characters have lowerpowers in the cartoon.
The same could be said about xmen characters in the different cartoons they got and even Spiderman never truly gets his25 tons lifting ability.

I was wondering if that would be possible tohave them non nerfed in next cartoons. It might leadtowards a more shonen looking dimension regadring powers, but it could be interesting.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
"Flash, we need your help"
"Ok. Done"
"What do you mean? You didn't even move"
"I did. You just didn't see. I fixed the problem."
"Oh, ok, thank you!"
The End.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
There is also the fact that you are comparing the character's 786869th appearence in comics to their 1st appearence in movies.

Superman started just leaping tall buildings in the comic ... in that sense superman flying in his first movie is pretty impressive

Oct 29, 2017
I think Superman and the flash are nerfed because otherwise it'd make them way stronger than the rest of the league, and they didn't want that vibe.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Other characters need to be nerfed in the DC movies because otherwise people will realize Batman has no reason to be involved in team-ups.

And DC refuses to leave Batman out of anything these days.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

tumblr_pd02pysGBG1r654hgo3_500.gif

tumblr_pdubdo570H1uqyagpo1_540.gif

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean comic characters are Nerf and buff whenever the writer wants them to be.
And thats not good either.

I think Superman and the flash are nerfed because otherwise it'd make them way stronger than the rest of the league, and they didn't want that vibe.
Which is why I always thought the avengers were always the better team.

Hell even the tern titans are more balanced and give every member a reason to be there.

Mar 19, 2019
Well, they're nerfed because in many, many cases the movies focus on points either at the beginning of their career or at least on their first time encountering high-level threats that's worth seeing. They just haven't had a lot of opportunities to be as powerful as their comic versions eventually become.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Right around the time they get around to consistent powers in the comics.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Character feats are inconsistent in the comics to begin with and their greatest feats are often things invented long after the fact due to the need to constantly up the stakes.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
There is also the fact that you are comparing the character's 786869th appearence in comics to their 1st appearence in movies.

Superman started just leaping tall buildings in the comic ... in that sense superman flying in his first movie is pretty impressive
That's a load of bull, I mean, look at Spongebob's first appearance as a superhero.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing the movies really need to do is establish actual power levels for characters so that any fight might have at least a little bit of tension.

Anyone saying characters are too weak or too strong relative to the comics has not actually read the comics in any significant way.

Every character you like in the comics has been a jobber or an unstoppable god, sometimes within the same story, even the same issue. Hell, it can happen all on one page.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
DCAU Superman isn't as weak as people suggest, even in STAS he was pretty damn powerful:

There are actually many versions of Superman that are weaker than DCAU Superman: DCEU Superman, CW Superman, Golden Age Superman, New 52 Superman from the "Truth" storyline, and a slew of other animated Supermans. DCAU Superman was always fairly powerful: Timm, Dini, and the writers simply made the mistake of overly using him as a dramatic crutch to make for more dire stakes in the narrative, which they corrected by Season 2 of Justice League. Power levels are mostly dependent on how the writers choose to use the characters on a scene by scene basis. As I showed in the above video, STAS Superman is viewed as the gold standard of nerfed portrayals when he was still fairly impressive by comic standards; part of that is because the stories in that show rarely called for Superman to cut loose with that kind of power. It's not much different than the comics.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You need to nerf them otherwise the movies become a continuous power creep with heroes that already have ridiculous ceilings.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet moments earlier, he was solo'd by Thanos' henchmen.

Who was a wizard, and maybe a more adept one than Strange.

In comparison Thanos was just going for physical attacks and countering Strange's spells.

And you could always say Strange was holding back because he knew he had to lose the fight to get the correct timeline.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
captain marvel is so OP they literally had to contrive some reason for her not to be in 99% of endgame tho

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In team shows or movies it's hard to write a story where they're theoretically supposed to be equals, but one or two team members are 10x as powerful as the others.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I see why they aren't doing this but I'd be all for this. Give me my World War Hulk movie. Or at least a Hulk that's worthy of the name.
When it comes to him I think only Whedon really cared about the character. Waititi to some extent also. But the Russo's ... Not as much.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer them nerfed as long as they stay consistent within that story. I actually liked Superman and Flash in the DCAU because it made sense when they were in trouble. Compare that to Arrowverse Flash where Barry gets tripped up by random goons, when he was running so fast that time stops around him in the previous episode.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Who was a wizard, and maybe a more adept one than Strange.

In comparison Thanos was just going for physical attacks and countering Strange's spells.

And you could always say Strange was holding back because he knew he had to lose the fight to get the correct timeline.

He didn't check for the timelines until right before they went to fight Thanos. Its also a bit hard for me to believe that the "sorcerer supreme" would lose in a magic battle against side chatacters. That henchmen seemed to just be using telekinesis.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
He didn't check for the timelines until right before they went to fight Thanos. Its also a bit hard for me to believe that the "sorcerer supreme" would lose in a magic battle against side chatacters. That henchmen seemed to just be using telekinesis.
It's even worse in Endgame. They had several people on the field that should have been able to solo a gauntlet-less Thanos that they kept busy with other stuff for plot reasons.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's even worse in Endgame. They had several people on the field that should have been able to solo a gauntlet-less Thanos that they kept busy with other stuff for plot reasons.

Who could've solo'd Thanos without the gauntlet in EG other than Carol and Wanda (both of whom proved that), and Ant-Man (who was too busy fixing the quantum tunnel to reach the Thanus)?

Yet moments earlier, he was solo'd by Thanos' henchmen.

Yeah. Strange needs his hands to work, and Ebony Maw tied his hands up.

That's not nerfing or an ass-pull. Hell y'all be talking about?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Was just coming to say this. Power creep is real.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Other characters need to be nerfed in the DC movies because otherwise people will realize Batman has no reason to be involved in team-ups.

And DC refuses to leave Batman out of anything these days.

I actually think BATMAN is the one that need to be buffed.

Give me BBC Sherlock level of detectiveness superpower

Fucking Alfred was the one that said the parademon markings was the same as luthor's scribblings

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Batman doesn't need to be in these kinds of team-ups.

every army needs a tactician and inteligence

or in DC terms, he should be the person who gets all information by hacking ... excepts he hacks without a computer because he is the world's greatest detective and his brain is his superpower.

and his money, that is also another one of his superpowers

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe if comics had any level of consistency in powers they would, but some characters are too broken to operate without arbitrary restrictions. Like how in the Justice League movie Flash was situationally fast and slipped randomly

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I'd prefer them nerfed as long as they stay consistent within that story. I actually liked Superman and Flash in the DCAU because it made sense when they were in trouble. Compare that to Arrowverse Flash where Barry gets tripped up by random goons, when he was running so fast that time stops around him in the previous episode.
"Barry kind of forgot he had that ability."

Hirok2099

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
every army needs a tactician and inteligence

or in DC terms, he should be the person who gets all information by hacking ... excepts he hacks without a computer because he is the world's greatest detective and his brain is his superpower.

and his money, that is also another one of his superpowers
Batman is not the right fit fir a tactician. He works well in the team as a stealthy detective tho.
If anything its wonder woman, aquaman and shazam who have very little reason to be permanent members.
They're just weaker versions of superman.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Because a lot of these heroes are more interesting without sixty to eighty years of power creep layered on top of them.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There needs to be enough tension to fill 1-2 hours.

There isn't any when people are at golden age power levels.

Unless you want them to spend 20 minutes powering up like in DBZ.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Superman after being resurrected in JL was just straight op, he beat the movies villain up without being touched by him, had to leave the finishing move to his friends since he was busy flying a city block out of the danger zone.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can get 2 hours of John Wick beating up people or 15 minutes of John Wick beating up everyone and then 105 minutes of him brooding, depending on the power level of John Wick.