• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Now that we're back to business. I've been holding off on Control and CP2077 for those Next Gen updates. I'm also looking forward to RDR2 and many Sony first party titles. I know we got vague timelines for the former but everything else has been whisper quiet. I hope we start getting news soon about what can be done to at least unlock some framerates for older titles.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Control is Feb 2nd digitally and I believe "March" physically. CP2077 is just trying to tread water at this point. Was RDR2 ever confirmed?

May 19, 2020
it's like something big is going on that is hampering the normal development and marketing cycles at those companies, hmm.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Don't expect Rockstar to give you free updates, like at all lol

CP2077 is supposedly releasing Early 2021

Who knows about Sony 1st party title.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Genuinely just want 60fps The Last Guardian without going through the disc version at this point tbh

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for;

Cyberpunk 2077 - I think this will end up coming in Summer due to their other issues.
Control - Feb 2nd
Red Dead 2 - Praying / Hoping, no idea we will get one at all..

There were a couple more like XCOM 2, Divinity, Division 2 but not holding any hope for those titles.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In terms of Microsoft specifically do we expect updates for Minecraft, Battletoads, Dungeons, Wasteland 3 etc..? Seems weird not having S/X versions of recent or evergreen titles.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Updates ? Baring the two first games you mentioned (and one who already gave it release date), I don't think there was any official info for others baring GTA Online.
SONY didn't mentionned anything at all and GoT and Day's Gone were the exception, not the norm.
Overall, don't expect anything.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Sony never promised next-gen upgrades and I doubt they'll happen.
I have a hunch (based on nothing, mind you) that none of the PS4 games in the PS+ collection are going to get updates.

TLOU2 might, but it's so far beyond most PS4 games graphically I don't know how necessary it even is. Maybe it'll come with the multiplayer game ND is working on, and I'm sure it won't be free.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I was promised nothing and I'm still dissapointed.

Expected at least some word of Sony's flag ship studios.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I'm going to be honest.

I was expecting a lot MORE next gen patches for my library. Maybe not on day 1, but ... on month...2?

I decided they wont come to better manage my expectations.

OP
OP
Kaiken

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
I know nothing was promised. Would just be nice to get some more info on what could possibly get some more polish.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Subnautica is big one that's announced that I want. Witcher 3 I'll take too.

Rocket League and COD : Warzone, get your act together and give us native PS5.

Death Stranding - bankrolled by Sony, blockbuster due to PlayStation, nowhere to be seen on ps5...

Last of Us 2 better be a free upgrade.
Wreckfest is one that needs it.

Bloodborne is the dream.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I'd be perfectly content if they just allowed us to remove the 30 fps cap in a lot of last-gen games. I don't really care about any other enhancements.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing the version of Control that's on Game Pass won't get the next-gen upgrade ?

Cause it isn't the Ultimate Edition...

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
It's literally the first day studios would have returned to work, and most will be working remotely.

Instead of immediately wondering where your news is, this is the time to learn patience and appreciate the work of those who make our entertainment.

VE3TRO

Oct 25, 2017
ESSEX, UK
I decided to just hop back into RDR2 over Christimas, couldn't wait it out any longer.

I don't expect Rockstar to update it, if they do probably a re-release rather than patched.

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
I say I'm waiting for the Rocket League update like I'm actually going to be able to use the 120 FPS mode on my TV (I can't).

Personally waiting/hoping for Marvel's Avengers, Final Fantasy VIIR, God of War, and anything Uncharted.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Last of Us 2 better be a free upgrade.

tenor.gif

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
It's interesting, but it seems a dev that might go back and patch in a minimum of features to their PS4 game might get a boost of sales on PS5 since there is a shortage of optimized games.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I have a hunch (based on nothing, mind you) that none of the PS4 games in the PS+ collection are going to get updates.

TLOU2 might, but it's so far beyond most PS4 games graphically I don't know how necessary it even is. Maybe it'll come with the multiplayer game ND is working on, and I'm sure it won't be free.
days gone got 4k 60fps for PS5 though and that is in the PS+ collection

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still bummed that 60fps God of War, Last Guardian (and probably a few others) are locked behind (what I believe is) an obtuse workaround. Ugh. I feel like Sony would address this if the community were loud enough about it. Yeah?

I could see a few of them having these upgrades locked behind a 'remaster'/PS5 version, like Spider-Man, which comes out with (or ideally precedes) their sequels this year. Probably no such luck for Last Guardian, though.

I expect Avengers to get a next-gen relaunch later this year or early next year. Visual upgrades, but also a systems rework, packaged in one as a fresh overhaul. Sort of like Diablo III's "Loot 2.0" system and expansion, which overhauled a lot of how the game worked and gave it a new lease on life.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Elder Scrolls Online has announced a next-gen update twice now, with zero details and no date. Just give us some sort of solid information. Literally anything.

A native PS5 version of FF14 was also strongly hinted at recently, hopefully we get some real news about it at the expansion announcement next month.

I don't think it's been hinted at yet but I'd really like to see Fallout 76 get something. The game runs like trash still a lot of the time and the HDR is god-awful.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we're going to see the next-gen versions of CP2077 until the end of the year.

They've got dozens of other more important things to worry about at this point.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting for the following:
  • Control (February 2nd)
  • The Witcher 3
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • DOOM Eternal
  • The Division 2 (February 2nd)
  • Fallout 4
  • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
  • Minecraft
Also hoping/waiting for:
  • The Last of Us Part II
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Crash Bandicoot 4

Mar 17, 2019
I'm genuinely baffled as to why there isn't a Death Stranding update given the existence of the PC version (itself with limited graphical options).

Hopefully get some Metro Exodus shininess soon.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting on a CP2077 next gen patch myself but with last gen needing some love and further bug fixing, I feel like next gen is quite a ways out.

My main surprise though is that we still don't have a Warzone next gen update. I expected it to be day 1 console launch, or season 1 launch at the latest, but it's nowhere to be seen or even talked about.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm only actively waiting for Doom Eternal. It's the only one that's actually announced out of the games I own that's definitely getting an update that I'm looking forward to.

I am hoping for Final Fantasy VII Remake (60fps + cleaned up visuals, like the infamous door among other things), The Last of Us Part II (60fps) and Crash Bandicoot 4 (higher resoluton). I'd be interested to see if something rolls out for Tony Hawk 1+2 but it already looks and feels great to me -- higher res might help clean up the image or maybe a 120fps mode but I'm not confident that I know enough about the spec on new-gen consoles to say 120fps is possible. It certainly seems like it would be.

Jan 29, 2018
I would not expect next-gen upgrades that haven't been announced. If we were getting free updates for Sony first-party titles like The Last of Us Part II I think we would've heard about it by now.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Personally, I'm waiting for:
  • Doom Eternal
  • God of War
  • The Last of Us Part II
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
I'd be happy with a paid remaster or even an 4K unlocked framerate mode on the PS4 versions since I haven't bought them yet. I have other games in my backlog to play until then.
I'm waiting for Marvel's Avengers and that Terminator game nobody bought, but everyone says is worth playing.
I'm just waiting for Terminator Resistance to go on sale. I want to play it eventually, but I am not paying $40 for it. I am not holding out hope for PS5 improvements for such a small-budget game though. Might just play it on Xbox One X
Yooo we all just got backkk
This is why I've held my tongue for asking announcements or updates on games for the past few weeks. Everybody should expect that productivity basically hits a standstill for the second half of December.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'm waiting for the following:
  • Control (February 2nd)
  • The Witcher 3
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • DOOM Eternal
  • The Division 2 (February 2nd)
  • Fallout 4
  • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
  • Minecraft
Also hoping/waiting for:
  • The Last of Us Part II
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Crash Bandicoot 4

I'd be willing to bet Square-Enix is going to do everything in their power to get people to pay for FFVIIR again with a 'next gen update'.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I would imagine the Cyberpunk update has been delayed internally to give the team time to address the issues with the last-gen version, so we probably won't see it until around June at this point.

I'm personally looking forward to Fallout 4, Outer Worlds, Metro, and Control.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be willing to bet Square-Enix is going to do everything in their power to get people to pay for FFVIIR again with a 'next gen update'.
They had a one-year exclusivity deal with Sony and that ends this April, so it makes a ton of sense to release a "Game of the Year Edition", or whatever, on Series X and PS5.