• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

This game is absolutely gorgeous. It brings a classic into the world of HD gaming but without breaking the bank or completely reinventing everything. No, it's not a perfect game (that plot leaves much to be desired even though I'm only three hours in), but it's a beautiful game that feels like what those games felt like when I was a child.

I'd love to see other games get this treatment. Star Ocean (don't bring up those ports please), Suikoden, other Square properties like Brave Fencer Musashi or Chrono Cross or even older PS1 games like Final Fantasy V. I'd literally cry if Lunar: Silver Star Story got this kind of treatment.

Not everything has to get the Final Fantasy VII Remake overhaul, but this would be a great way to introduce these properties to a new generation and give the older generation another way to enjoy them.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely better than the original as well. I got lost in the latter half of the original.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Wasn't this super successful, or at least more successful than expected? We're probably getting more soon if that's the case!

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
It would be real nice if we had a Chrono Trigger remake in the same vein. Real nice.

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
I'd love every Mana game remade like this and every future Mana game to play like this I had an absolute blast with it.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
This was one of my surprise games of last year. I was genuinely stunned by how much fun I had playing this.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed wholeheartedly. I skipped it last year because of how close it released to FF7R, but I started it a couple days ago because it was on sale on the Switch eShop, and I've really been enjoying it. It's been striking the perfect balance for me of being recognizable as a 16-bit game while still feeling shockingly modern, especially after how....decidedly not modern the Secret of Mana remake was. And right when I started feeling like the game was starting to get stale, I unlocked different classes and just fought a couple way more interesting bosses than what I'd encountered before.

But yeah, for anyone wanting a super enjoyable, slightly more relaxed action RPG, I've been having an absolute blast so far.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Chrono Trigger in this style is you really need to keep the top down view, for the area-of-effect techniques during battle

Dustlander

Dec 25, 2017
Brazil
Agreed. This is the perfect mold of remakes for a ton of RPGs from the 32-bit and PS1 era.

They could remake FF I-VI and VIII/IX on this style and I would honestly be the happiest man alive, not every remake needs to be an ultra ambitious AAA project like VII Remake, or else not even my grandchildren will be able to play them lol

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the thread title in the sense that Trials of Mana the remake also meant we got Trials of Mana the original SNES game, and so the important question of games preservation was deftly handled where you got your new thing and your old thing.

Oct 30, 2017
Loved Trails of Mana Remake so much and I'm really happy it got the success it deserves.. we new totally getting more Remakes in this style.

For me, next Remake should be this beloved game:

Threads_of_Fate_Coverart.png

It would be PERFECT in this style <3

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
It sold well, so I think you'll see more of it

Not sure if it's going to be the Mana universe or not

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I could not be more with you on this. I would love to see a ton of Square(Enix) stuff get this level of treatment. Nice to hear that Trials of Mana sold well! Hopefully that means we'll see some stuff at the next few Square Enix Presents'

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed wholeheartedly. I skipped it last year because of how close it released to FF7R, but I started it a couple days ago because it was on sale on the Switch eShop, and I've really been enjoying it. It's been striking the perfect balance for me of being recognizable as a 16-bit game while still feeling shockingly modern, especially after how....decidedly not modern the Secret of Mana remake was. And right when I started feeling like the game was starting to get stale, I unlocked different classes and just fought a couple way more interesting bosses than what I'd encountered before.

But yeah, for anyone wanting a super enjoyable, slightly more relaxed action RPG, I've been having an absolute blast so far.
Dang it, I was looking for reasons not to buy this. I still wasn't quite sure about it at $30, but I might just bite later. LOL

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it but it looks like a "AA" title (rather than "AAA"), and that's great -- the presentation and gameplay look perfectly appealing without breaking the bank, and the 16-bit spirit of adventure looks fully intact. Hopefully Square and other RPG devs make more like this.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love a SaGa game to be remade in this style. They've been bringing past SaGa games to consoles lately, I wouldn't be surprised if a full scale remake is actually in the cards.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Loved Trails of Mana Remake so much and I'm really happy it got the success it deserves.. we new totally getting more Remakes in this style.

For me, next Remake should be this beloved game:

Threads_of_Fate_Coverart.png

It would be PERFECT in this style <3
The game was re-released on the PlayStation Network, but didn't get enough players for SquareEnix to consider remaking/remastering the game.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
i'm actually hoping the team are gonna do a new Mana game

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. This is the perfect mold of remakes for a ton of RPGs from the 32-bit and PS1 era.

They could remake FF I-VI and VIII/IX on this style and I would honestly be the happiest man alive, not every remake needs to be an ultra ambitious AAA project like VII Remake, or else not even my grandchildren will be able to play them lol

VI should be a AAA project like VII Remake. But I-V and VIII & IX? Should be more like Trials of Mana.

It sold well, so I think you'll see more of it

Not sure if it's going to be the Mana universe or not

Doesn't need to be the Mana universe. Other 16/32bit RPGs could use that same love.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
It's definitely better than the original as well. I got lost in the latter half of the original.
The latter half definitely stopped me in my tracks, it was too hard to even remember where I was going. The waypoints in this one help tremendously. My one complaint is it kinda feels too simple at times? There's no real reason to talk to most npc's and it could use something more interesting than the cactus side quest.

still, the game looks amazing and that goes a long way.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I freakin' wish. Final Fantasy V and Chrono Trigger would be perfect for it. CT might take a bit more work to do though.

carrot_

Feb 21, 2021
If Brave Fencer Musashi was given this treatment, I'd die a million happy deaths. And yeah, as others have mentioned, just about any of those older games would be amazing remade in this style. Like I know FFIV was already remade on the DS, but I'd love something that uses these kind of character models and graphics and not those chibi ones.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yeah not every remake needs to be FF7 remake "quality". This was a breath of fresh air. I'd love to see some ps1 and snes classics with this look

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Yeah I loved it. It only needed better direction in the cutscenes and a bit more budget.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Co-signed. Incredible remake that deserves its success. The game was such a breath of fresh air I bought the game twice, once for Switch, once for the PS4.

More remakes in this fashion, and not in the fashion of FF7 R as well.

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
reading an interview with the director (or... somebody, i can't recall) seems like the game was an apology for how abysmal the SoM remake wound up. they seemed genuinely embarrassed

sad that's what it took . but see where things go with future remakes

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Absolutely agree, OP. Though I will never understand why Secret of Mana was not remade with this much care. Secret of Mana was the game a lot more people in the west have an emotional connection to from their SNES days and therefore the remake could have been an even bigger success. I'm glad Trials of Mana got this nice treatment, but there is this piece of my heart that just wished Secret of Mana to be in this style, too.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised at the lack of mention of removing co-op. That's the thing that keeps me side eying this sort of remake.
That is my biggest gripe about this remake. My friends would have loved to play this co-op. I think I'll still pick it up on sale soon, but it's really the one thing holding this game back.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
This game was trash. They could have easily fleshed out the characters by selling me each character as a separate episode and then having extra characters as DLC but didn't have the guts to do it.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see another game using that same basic engine, it created a lot of gorgeous scenery using comparatively little power. Wouldn't even necessarily have to be a Mana game, but another Mana game would be welcome!

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we get more like them. I played the demo a while back and really enjoyed it. The SNES feeling was great.

I need to play through the main game soon.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Though I will never understand why Secret of Mana was not remade with this much care. Secret of Mana was the game a lot more people in the west have an emotional connection to from their SNES days and therefore the remake could have been an even bigger success.

i suspect it was developed with an eventual mobile port in mind, above all else

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it was great, they didn't reinvent the wheel, they did it just right. And they didnt fuck up the music like the SOM remake.