• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Alright, mods, ladies, and gentleman, before you say...

"There's already a WoW community!"

"This doesn't deserve its own thread!"

Let me tell you a story. Era members have been trying to play WoW together for years, even back when we used the site with the orange logo instead. Despite our best efforts, we've remained scattered. There is no Era server like there is for FFXIV. Yet other places, like the Penny Arcade forums, seem to have no issue choosing a central server.

So what's the deal?

Let's fix this. Can we use this thread to set up a guild for Alliance and Horde? This is our chance, right before Classic comes out. I want to play with you guys, I really do.

My suggestions for a server would be:

-Eastern US time zone. In my experience, it's easier for western people to log on earlier than it is for eastern people to log on later. Bad memories of running raids until 2 AM on weeknights...

-One that has a cool name, obviously.

-Same server for Alliance and Horde. Let the PvP commence.

What do you all think? Apologies if such a thing has already been set up.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be down. I'm definitely going to check out WoW Classic. It's a good start because everyone is going to be making new characters for Classic.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
While I have zero interest in Classic there's been many, many attempts at ERA (and older place) servers but they just never pan out because of one reason or another. It's not from a lack of trying.

Good luck though. I've recruited a good handful of ERA people into my guild on Live and it has worked out pretty well so maybe you will get lucky this go around!

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
While I have zero interest in Classic there's been many, many attempts at ERA (and older place) servers but they just never pan out because of one reason or another. It's not from a lack of trying.

Good luck though. I've recruited a good handful of ERA people into my guild on Live and it has worked out pretty well so maybe you will get lucky this go around!
This is precisely why I made this thread, haha. Classic's launch is different from an expansion - everyone will be starting fresh. Best time to try this again!

Oct 25, 2017

I think Classic might be a different story. I never took an interest in joining a forum guild myself when I was active in the game, here or at the previous board, and to be there are some pretty clear structural reasons why they would have trouble. People who want to play for progression or content at the pace or skill level that interests them, rather than putting the social experience first, will always let that take the lead when it comes to hopping servers or guilds (and they still get the social experience by chatting with others here, even if they're all on other servers). And the people who are most invested in WoW tend to be the ones who had an existing relationship with their own servers and guilds, one that predates their relationship with non-game-specific forums like this one. It's hard to justify the cost and nuisance of server/faction transfers when you don't even know if you'll get along with the other players in an active in-game context.

Classic, however, is an opportunity for a fresh start, especially for players whose old WoW networks are long dead and gone. And just given the very nature of Classic, you'll have a good number of players who are in it for the social element and the slow burn, not just playing up to the current tier as intensely as their schedule will let them.

(I won't be part of it, unfortunately. I'm passing on Classic in the near term and already have prior invitations waiting for me in case I should change my mind. But good luck to those who take a crack at putting this together.)

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I think Classic might be a different story. I never took an interest in joining a forum guild myself when I was active in the game, here or at the previous board, and to be there are some pretty clear structural reasons why they would have trouble. People who want to play for progression or content at the pace or skill level that interests them, rather than putting the social experience first, will always let that take the lead when it comes to hopping servers or guilds (and they still get the social experience by chatting with others here, even if they're all on other servers). And the people who are most invested in WoW tend to be the ones who had an existing relationship with their own servers and guilds, one that predates their relationship with non-game-specific forums like this one. It's hard to justify the cost and nuisance of server/faction transfers when you don't even know if you'll get along with the other players in an active in-game context.

Classic, however, is an opportunity for a fresh start, especially for players whose old WoW networks are long dead and gone. And just given the very nature of Classic, you'll have a good number of players who are in it for the social element and the slow burn, not just playing up to the current tier as intensely as their schedule will let them.

I mean, more power to you. My reply wasn't meant to be condescending or telling you that you -can't- do it. Just providing some context and maybe a bit of tempering to expectations. If the ERA Classic community can make it happen then good for all of you!

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, more power to you. My reply wasn't meant to be condescending or telling you that you -can't- do it. Just providing some context and maybe a bit of tempering to expectations. If the ERA Classic community can make it happen then good for all of you!

No worries, that's all understood. I'm not one of the people trying to make this happen anyway; just speculating on the social dynamics. I think there is good cause for optimism.

Arkhanor

Oct 27, 2017
Recife - Brazil
I'll probably be there (Horde), depending only on the server (and my friends who left me alone in our guild back in WoD, if they really come back), since I live in South America.

Falcon16

Oct 25, 2017
I joined an IGN guild when Vanilla first launched. It was the group from the WoW forums. It was pretty fun to do that. If I get Classic, I'll join in.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I think the problem is that people want/need different things.

Everyone is going to have different preferences when it comes to region, timezone, faction, and server type. Once everyone splinters off between all of the options, it's going to be difficult to get a large group of dedicated players.

That said, if anyone else wants a mix of PvP and PvE with an emphasis on raiding on a US PvE server as Horde, I'm down. I'm going warrior.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man I would be down but I'm so torn on what I want. If this was Classic + BC I'd have the best of both worlds by rolling Alliance and being a Shaman. :/

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Ok, looks like there's some interest. I'll set up some straw polls in a bit.

My personal preference is Alliance, PvE. But I assume PvP will be more popular.

I'd also not want to be the guild leader. I have experience with that kind of thing but I'd rather someone else do it, preferably someone who raided in vanilla.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Make it horde and PVE and I'd be interested. Playing Vanilla on a pvp server can be an absolute nightmare.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I think the best option for this is a Poll for server type and faction.

PVP - Alliance
PVP - Horde
PVE - Alliance
PVE - Horde

I'm also from EU :(

EDIT: Duh. There is literally poll links 3 posts up.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Would be cool if both US Era and EU Era made their own guilds. Would definitely join.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Here's a helpful video on how to mange a guild.

I'd be all in on this if I was 19 again and had time for anything. Where did all the time go?

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Would be cool if both US Era and EU Era made their own guilds. Would definitely join.
Would been keen but i'm an aussie :(
The ideal would be one for each region, but we can work a multiregional one too... although it's certainly not optimal.

Raiding times/timezones are a huge struggle.

Take it from someone who lived in Japan while his guildmates were all in the US for a while...

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a great idea, but like others have said it would extremely difficult to make ONE "official Era" server. Too many server types and regions!

I instead propose just choosing one PvE and PvP server from each continental region to be a server with a good chance to have Era users.

Btw I really look forward to the release and the OT! This should be much easier as we should have all the realm lists here within a couple weeks.

Nov 2, 2017
US Horde, PVP for sure. I have no interest in playing normal servers.

I'm saying that as someone who only ever played normal on retail. Then when nostalrius was in it's heyday, they only had pvp. PVP really enhances the immersion of vanilla in a way that it just doesn't for retail, imo.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd certainly like to do it. But the problem is that people's interest in such a guild evaporates if it isn't the faction they want or the server type they want.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Ok, thanks to all of those who voted, and since the realm list has been released, I'm considering voting closed.

It seems Era voted Alliance (yay!) and PvP (booooooo)

So I propose we start on the Faerlina server, Alliance side, PvP, Eastern Time. I know that doesn't work for everyone, but if you can swing that, let me know if there's still interest.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Faerlina is where I was looking to head anyway due to Streamers, so that works.

Might not be part of the Era guild, but I can be within the sphere

SodaPoppin posted that Farlina is looking like top pick, anyone want to do Thalnos(PVP East)?

Last edited:

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017

What Milo said. Zero interest, as a diehard WoW player. But all the best to you guys to get coordinated here.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Faerlina is where I was looking to head anyway due to Streamers, so that works.

Might not be part of the Era guild, but I can be within the sphere

SodaPoppin posted that Farlina is looking like top pick, anyone want to do Thalnos(PVP East)?

I would definitely be up for Thalnos. I'm hoping there is enough interest from Era to get something going.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I might be down, though I'm not sure now is the best time for me to get back into throwing my life away at WoW...

bcterps

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
A bunch of players from my old realm (Lightning's Blade) are planning on rolling on Thalnos, so I'm going to give that a shot.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
My guild today (Alliance PvE) just confirmed with a bunch of other Alliance guilds on the Classic Guild Discord that Pagle (Surprise surprise!) is the server all the big Ally PvE guildmasters are taking their guilds to, including us. So if any of you play PvE, expect Pagle to be packed Ally side, and definitely have a queues more than likely.

KingLear

Oct 25, 2017
We should set up a poll to decide on a server. I like the EST timezone idea. PvP/Pve/Rp etc. and just pick one and hope there's no streamers there.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Any news on where the big streamers are heading?

It was going to get updated here before Monday but I guess things have changed now and they aren't going to talk about it until around launch :\

The two places they certainly won't be though are the RP servers, thank god, since that's where I'd planned to play. I didn't post in this thread because I figured that's a niche most on this board wouldn't be into but if y'all are trying to avoid streamers, I mean, bear in mind you don't actually have to RP there. I never experienced these servers in classic but on live my experience is you leave them alone, they leave you alone, and it's effectively no different than a regular server, except you see cool things sometimes like people gathered in inns or out in the world together which adds a lot of flavour to the experience even if you don't partake.

In any case, I'll be on both Bloodsail and Grobbulus, if Era rolls there I'm down to play, otherwise I wish y'all luck both in your guild and avoiding streamers :\ they really should have just let them reserve names, it's really shitty this stuff can't be known ahead of time for all the chaos they cause.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We should set up a poll to decide on a server. I like the EST timezone idea. PvP/Pve/Rp etc. and just pick one and hope there's no streamers there.

Based on what SolVanderlyn posted earlier it looks like the server was already decided. Of course if a big named streamer intended to go there it may change. I'm torn on what class I want to play. I would love to play a Rogue again, but I feel that early on getting into dungeons will be super hard/competitive, and since my forte is healing I may just roll holy Pally and get those invites. lol

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I wish you all the best of luck. I can't participate due to your server type choice, since I abhor world pvp with a vengeance (which is why grinding essences has pained me). If I'm bored enough to check out Classic I might try the RP server that Ash suggested. But I already lived through vanilla once, and I don't think I need those gameplay systems in my life again. :)

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess ill go Thalnos for my pvp character. Since it seems some others seem to be going there. Id like to do a pve character too But I don't know where.