• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
While every game that's fast paced should have a 60fps option(so nearly every game), games that are slower paced and turn based should be perfectly fine at 30fps.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I hope every device that chooses not to include a choice between fidelity and performance gets roasted online.

No reason not to anymore.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Not just 60fps, but 60fps with raytracing. Don't force raytracing only on fidelity modes, give users the options to have 1080p60 with raytracing. Let the TV upscale 1080p to 4k if need be.
Ray tracing and 60fps at like 1080p-1440p or dynamic res with a DLSS-like solution is the sweet spot.

Jan 11, 2018
While every game that's fast paced should have a 60fps option(so nearly every game), games that are slower paced and turn based should be perfectly fine at 30fps.

A turn-based game should be able to hit 60 fps with ease on PS5 and Xbox Series X. If it somehow has state of the art graphical fidelity, a 4k30 setting could be acceptable if it also offers a 60 fps performance mode. But really, what are the odds of a turn-based game being given a big budget these days?

I'm still annoyed that Valkyria Chronicles 4 is capped at 1080p30 even on PS4 Pro.

I hope every device that chooses not to include a choice between fidelity and performance gets roasted online.

No reason not to anymore.

This.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
People have wanted this with every new gen and all it takes is some massive AAA game to come along with a 30fps game that looks amazing in screenshots and gifs and everyone loses their mind about how incredible it looks and we're back to not caring.

For me, I wish 60fps was the baseline and we had games trying to look as good as they possibly can at 60fps. I'm not gonna sit and say that 30fps is unplayable or 'a slideshow' (Christ, I think most GOTY candidates this year largely still be 30fps, no?) but 60fps is undeniably better.

I think things will be different this time around considering the CPUs are finally decent. Graphics are very scalable and there's no reason any game should release without a 60 FPS option going forward.

Last gen we had to deal with extremely low power CPUs which hindered performance and limited a lot of games to 30 FPS. I don't think we'll see any major CPU limitations for a while this gen.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
A turn-based game should be able to hit 60 fps with ease on PS5 and Xbox Series X. If it somehow has state of the art graphical fidelity, a 4k30 setting could be acceptable if it also offers a 60 fps performance mode. But really, what are the odds of a turn-based game being given a big budget these days?

I'm still annoyed that Valkyria Chronicles 4 is capped at 1080p30 even on PS4 Pro.
Yeah, that's fair. If it does have 4k then it being at 30fps would make more sense since 4k is demanding. However it should be a choice for a turn based game since it's not like playing a shooter, fighter, platformer or anything else that's fast paced for the most part.

Oh, it is? I had no idea. You would think it'll be at a higher FPS for that game on the Pro.

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed, would be great to have 30fps, 60fps and 120fps options. I'm disappointed Assassins Creed Valhalla doesn't offer 30fps for candy eye stuff.

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
When I see the difference I actively dislike it. It just looks like bad motion smoothing and dejudder processing on tvs when I notice it. Overwatch was a game I consistently was bothered by the way 60FPS looked. I can't stand high framerate video either.
Damn, sounds like Hollywood brainwashed you to think that smoother motion is a bad thing.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I feel like we're completely ignoring how PC GPUs age. Running today's games at high fidelity 60fps is not the same as expecting it from what is releasing 5 years from now. Even the RTX 3080 won't last forever.

Are you willing to accept medium settings for your 60fps, or do you expect the fantasy of no compromises to actually come to fruition? PC gamers make the choice of dropping setting as their systems age, while we've never seen console developers willing to offer such a thing. Which do you think they'll sacrifice first, framerate or image quality? It's a self-evident reality, why consoles have been stuck at 30fps in the first place.

We haven't even seen next-gen games yet. Demon's Souls is a great amuse-bouche, but is far from a plated course.

The realities of console gaming will return. Sorry to be a downer.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I feel like we're completely ignoring how PC GPUs age. Running today's games at high fidelity 60fps is not the same as expecting it from what is releasing 5 years from now. Even the RTX 3080 won't last forever.

Are you willing to accept medium settings for your 60fps, or do you expect the fantasy of no compromises to actually come to fruition? PC gamers make the choice of dropping setting as their systems age, while we've never seen console developers willing to offer such a thing. Which do you think they'll sacrifice first, framerate or image quality? It's a self-evident reality, why consoles have been stuck at 30fps in the first place.

We haven't even seen next-gen games yet. Demon's Souls is a great amuse-bouche, but is far from a plated course.

There's still plenty of head room to move for 60fps if we go back to 1080p.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah on PC I rely on medium-high settings to hit 60fps since I don't max out games usually.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Console games have finally crossed over into having graphics settings, so there's no excuse now.

If it takes a drop to 1080p, developers should offer it. That's perfectly fine.

This is why I'm taking a bit of a gamble by keeping my 1080p display around. Consoles simply aren't ready yet for the full 4k bells and whistles, but if this means super smooth gameplay and sometimes super sampling at 1080p then I'm all for it.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect it for some big budget AAA games mainly open world ones, like Rockstar and Ubisoft games. Action oriented games I really hope so though like for God of War, Ghostwire Tokyo, Deathloop, Capcom games, etc......

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I made a decision that the only games I would play in 30FPS this gen were Sony first party, and then ONLY if they forced me to (ie, if Horizon 2 or GOW2 only have 30 fps modes). Otherwise I am playing 60 with any performance mode that is offered, and if that perf mode is only 1080p I am playing on PC, where I can hit 1440p@60 in any game possible (well, maybe minus ray tracing).

To me not doing this with powerful consoles that the developers can manipulate as if they are PCs is unforgivable.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
60 needs to become the standard on console.

I think we'll see more options for it this gen, but due to the never ending push for higher image fidelity, I have my doubts we'll fully get there.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Playing AC at 60 has made me an RT skeptic in games going forward knowing I could have a performance mode.

It would require a game of astounding production value and eye candy like a RDR2 and the like for me to settle for 30

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Are you willing to accept medium settings for your 60fps,

Of course. Do that on PC all the time.

Those compromises are always way smaller than the enormous compromise of 30fps, where everything is choppy as soon as anything moves. Give me 720p, remove effects, no raytracing... What ever it takes, just hit a stable 60fps as the absolute minimum.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
I bloody hope so
But watch as Playstation 1st party exclusive target 30FPS just so that they have time to swap out the entire memory pool of assets

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I bloody hope so. I doubt it because it'll probably go back to 30fps + fancy graphics as soon as cross-gen games are over, but I hope so.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we do. I have always maintained that 30FPS has been fine, but seeing all this 60fps goodness and switching back to the respective 30FPS modes that supposedly have more fidelity has been eye opening. I seriously would struggle to go back. To my eyes games that have 60fps modes look better than games with 30FPS modes with increased effects etc. the added smoothness and no blur is game changing

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is my wish as well.

I do love ray tracing, and I will gladly experiment in ray tracing modes, but when possible I'd love to just get 60fps (or even 120fps) instead as my main playthrough approach.

I'll begin asking for ray tracing and 60+fps starting next generation. ;)

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I hope so. Locked 60 makes everyones eyes happier. And 120fps should be an option for competitive multiplayer games.
But locked 60 makes everyone happy enough.

When the console makers now can see what kind of settings people prefer between Performance and Graphics mode - I hope we will see Performance mode becoming the standard and maybe they can spend the rest of the development time on Graphics after launch instead. :D

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Nah. I personally can't tell the difference other than characters don't feel part of the world at 60 but I can typically definitely tell the difference of the visual hit to get to 60. Look at Spiderman looks awful in 60 in comparison and I don't even like Ray tracing

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony just got a customer that hasn't owned a Playstation since Playstation 2 after hearing about Spiderman Remastered and Miles Morales having 60 fps modes. I probably would have bought a PS4 Pro back in the day if Spiderman had a 60 fps mode. For a game like Spiderman, I'm constantly moving and moving quickly. I don't have time to look at Ray Tracing, so 60 fps mode just makes more sense to me.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I have always preferred frames to resolution so yeah I bloody hope so

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Ok, so now someone has to explain to me what's the deal with the phrase "I bloody hope so" in this thread. :)

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I bloody hope so, in some games I will take those 30 fps tax for a prettier looking, but most times, give me those 60 fps

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

I really really hope so.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doing that on consoles potentially compromises game design and the degree of ambition. I'd rather have games going for visual prowess designed from the ground up around 30fps so they can maximise design, fidelity, scope and optimisations around it, instead of potentially limiting things by being beholden to 60fps too.

Naughty graphics designer on 60fps vs 30fps.

"A note on 30fps vs. 60fps: It's not as simple as you think. When we render at 60 fps, we have around 16ms per frame to render. A big chunk of that frame budget is reserved for the basics: polygons and material costs.

Let's say that, to give an example, in a dense scene there is about 10ms of cost per frame, just for the basics. This leaves us 6ms for things like ambient occlusion, screen space reflections, subsurface scattering, particle, bloom, and other post processing effects that serve to make things super cute. This is not a large budget.

But what happens if we go down to 30fps? We now have 33ms per frame for rendering. We have the same base cost of 10ms, but 23ms remain for the nice stuff. It is practically a budget for the advanced features FOUR TIMES higher.

Games running at 60fps make significant sacrifices in rendering quality to achieve a higher frame rate. It's not a magic button we press to suddenly double the FPS. If a gameplay runs at 30fps, it often makes sense to aim for 30fps with better rendering ".

The general assumption is that 30fps gives you double the frame time for additional graphical bells and whilstles etc, but as this more detailed analysis highlights, it's actually in some cases 4x more for graphics extras, as the rendering time for base elements eats away a large portion of that frame time, so the remaining amount is far more limited to the point where the difference is massively exasperated with a 30fps game vs a 60fps one.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Doing that on consoles potentially compromises game design and the degree of ambition. I'd rather have games going for visual prowess designed from the ground up around 30fps so they can maximise design, fidelity, scope and optimisations around it, instead of potentially limiting things by being beholden to 60fps too.
I'm sure they can crunch it out.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
We'll get it when we stop screaming "downgrade" every time a game doesn't match the reveal trailer.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Do ppl think that we'll finally be content to stop at 4k or by PS6/PS5 Pro we'll start to see a push towards 8K gaming

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Of course. Do that on PC all the time.

Those compromises are always way smaller than the enormous compromise of 30fps, where everything is choppy as soon as anything moves. Give me 720p, remove effects, no raytracing... What ever it takes, just hit a stable 60fps as the absolute minimum.
I just don't think developers will drop that low.

May 12, 2020
Maybe it's just me, but I can't tell the difference between fidelity and performance in Spider-Man MM, but ray tracing looks awesome in fidelity mode.