• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I would like games to offer unlocked quality modes as well, so they scale nicely for mid-gen consoles and future-gen BC without requiring updates or software magic by BC teams.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing in Fidelity mode because I don't want to get really used to 60 only for fewer and fewer games to support it as time goes on. Plus I don't mind 30 at all, but I don't play fighters or twitch shooters/racers.

Really hope the option stays available for those who prefer it though.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so. Also, hope that when/if the mid gen refreshes happen, 60fps becomes even more standard.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
85824bb7422fb973fd6f703cf08a4ad0793a0baa.gifv

I've been asking this since the PS2 days; still waiting. Let's hope, wait and see I guess.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
ND will read this thread and laugh
www.gamespot.com

The Last of Us Remastered Devs Discuss Making 60fps the New Standard in Games

We try out the Last of Us Remastered edition and talk with the developers about what makes this version of the game different (besides just the graphics).

It's funny to look back on their quotes when they were selling a remaster now that we know how the gen played out.

Though they did legit try to get UC4 to 60 (that debut trailer is still impressive because of it). Hopefully this is the gen where it can happen.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 has a setting in the system options that allows you to set your preference of performance or quality mode, so I think we can safely assume that all Sony-published games will have it, and it is likely other publishers will implement it as well. It didn't make sense on last gen due to weak CPUs, now it's actually possible and I believe it will become a standard, though 30FPS will likely still be the priority, so I expect many games will not be reaching locked 60 in performance mode.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Been saying that for a long time now. It's the best compromise. Offering a performance mode insures no game will be CPU bound and devs can utilize the GPU cranking up the graphics quality and res at 30fps or lowering the graphics and res for the 60fps mode. And if we do get mid-gen refreshes it means we quite possibly will get a merge of the 2 modes.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
I've been pushing for choice all this time so I can get 60fps but damn if I'm not gazing longingly at RT

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
My personal hope is that developers will get telemetry data from these consoles that show an overwhelming preference for 60 fps modes.
The ideal would be that it shifts to 60 FPS fidelity modes and 90/120 FPS performance modes.
But I would be content if every single game at least includes a 60 FPS mode from now on.

I'm a weirdo, 60fps never feels that big to me. Just decouple controller polling from frame input so your games are properly responsive and give me a locked 30fps with all the visual bells and whistles cranked up. I want pretty games whose visuals aren't compromised by pointless pushes to 60fps and 4k.
Do you not see the difference between 30 and 60 FPS though?
You're not the only person here with posts that suggest the only benefit to higher frame rates is lower latency.
For me it is primarily a visual thing. 60 FPS and above looks dramatically better than 30 FPS. It's so much smoother and clearer in motion.

Using, off the top of my head, Breath of the Wild as an example, that game would not be the beloved title it is if it was designed to run at 60fps – so much would have had to have been sacrificed.
Can we really say that for sure when the Switch version was a rushed port of a Wii U game?

Yeah I hope we get more 60 and higher games, but I hate the idea of mandating it as a minimum acceptable performance level when it could lead to creatively being stifled.

I'm just of the view if people demand performance like this then they just need to put their money where their mouth is and join the arms race of upgrading your PC. Games are going to be designed around the capabilities of consoles and some developers aren't going to chase 60 frames if it means cutting back on their design elsewhere.
PC gaming is a very different experience to console gaming, that not everyone wants.
And Sony consoles in particular often have exclusive games you cannot play on PC.

If the inclusion of 60 FPS performance modes becomes standard, that starts to make console gaming more viable for me again, after two generations where I couldn't play the majority of games due to motion sickness caused by the low frame rates.
I'd still prefer that the games were not exclusive to one set of hardware, so we are not reliant on developers revisiting their games to update them once faster hardware is released; e.g. Bloodborne not receiving a PS4 Pro or PS5 patch and being stuck at 1080p30 forever. But this is a start.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The ideal would be that it shifts to 60 FPS fidelity modes and 90/120 FPS performance modes.
But I would be content if every single game at least includes a 60 FPS mode from now on.

That would be great. I don't play on consoles but a 60 fps target for every game would avoid situations like Watch Dogs where it is hard to get a locked 60 even on high-end hardware.

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Demons Souls and Genshin last night in 60fps glory really makes me hopeful that more and more games will either be 60fps or have performance options that allow you to reach it.

Mar 8, 2018
We will get more 60FPS games this gen, but it won't be universal. The reason we'll get more 60FPS games is that the power of these consoles will make it easier to hit that target for games of a certain size, scope, and budget. But there will always be studios that will want to push fidelity beyond performance, and 30FPS will return. But games of mid-range scope and budget with graphical targets more like last gen should be able to hit 60.

Oct 25, 2017
60fps really should've just been the standard and the random dev that wanted to make a 30fps graphical masterpiece (that doesn't even really look that much better in the grand scheme of things) is the odd one out. But this is a compromise I'll take if we get more high-framerate games.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The PS5 and XSX GPUs are only 60fps capable in the short term, as far as AAA gaming is concerned.

Without mid-cycle refreshes, the hopes for an entire generation of carte blanche Performance modes will be violently dashed on the rocks of disappointing reality.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you not see the difference between 30 and 60 FPS though?
You're not the only person here with posts that suggest the only benefit to higher frame rates is lower latency.
For me it is primarily a visual thing. 60 FPS and above looks dramatically better than 30 FPS. It's so much smoother and clearer in motion.

When I see the difference I actively dislike it. It just looks like bad motion smoothing and dejudder processing on tvs when I notice it. Overwatch was a game I consistently was bothered by the way 60FPS looked. I can't stand high framerate video either.

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020
The PS5 and XSX GPUs are only 60fps capable in the short term, as far as AAA gaming is concerned.

Without mid-cycle refreshes, the hopes for an entire generation of carte blanche Performance modes will be violently dashed on the rocks of disappointing reality.

This does not gel with the reality of the PS4/Xbox One generation, where we were stuck with 30fps from day one.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Can we? Sure.

Will we? Most likely not.

And that should be OK. Developers should have the freedom to target what they see fit for their product. If it's 30fps, so be it.

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
That would be great.
About that, other than The Medium and Watch Dogs: Legion, which games do not have a performance mode?

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
When I see the difference I actively dislike it. It just looks like bad motion smoothing and dejudder processing on tvs when I notice it. Overwatch was a game I consistently was bothered by the way 60FPS looked. I can't stand high framerate video either.
Ha, what? 60fps looks fine to me and 120fps is even better. 30fps is a slideshow in comparison to them and it's why I avoid it whenever I play games on PC, plus I can't imagine playing a competitive multiplayer game like shooters at 30fps compared to 60fps and 120fps on PC.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Choice yes, mandatory 60fps no. RT is an amazing tech and, at least for me, I prefer it over 60fps for single player games.
I prefer RT with 60fps personally for any game that would allow it.
4K 60FPS should be the standard for Series X and PS5. The consoles are powerful enough for this. Series S should do at least 1080p 60FPS.
It could be but visuals would be sacrificed to achieve that, and as long as it looks fine that's more than enough.
I hope! And 120fps modes for multiplayer
120fps for multiplayer in shooters should be mandatory at this point.
I prefer my games to feel good when playing than to look good but run like shit. I don't want gameplay compromised by pointless shit like MOAR GRAPHICS.
Exactly, plus anything that's really fast paced definitely would be better with a good/higher framerate. I'm trying to avoid 30fps as much as possible for this new gen.
I wish 60FPS mode was required by Sony and Microsoft

that's the only way it will happen
TBH they should all have it with a minimum of 1080p and 60fps. There really shouldn't be any excuses unless they somehow push visuals and the system to their limits at 1080p and 60fps.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
With VRR and new consoles "boosting" older games, I think every game should have the option to run with unlocked framerates, even without a different graphics setting

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's the good shit.

I love the way Spider-Man: Miles Morales' ray-tracing looks.

I'm never gonna actually play the game that way, though. The 60fps mode looks better in motion and feels better to play, of course.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
This is the one thing I want this gen. I only have a 1080 TV so if 4k has to be sacrificed for 60fps then DO IT!

I will honestly hesitate to buy any game that doesn't offer a locked 60 fps mode at this point.
Seriously, I think I might be the same. I am playing Gears 5 at 60 and went and tried Gears 4 on the SX - it was awful.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Not just 60fps, but 60fps with raytracing. Don't force raytracing only on fidelity modes, give users the options to have 1080p60 with raytracing. Let the TV upscale 1080p to 4k if need be.