• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

State of Play...

• Is a successful format for Sony, and one I hope they continue with

Votes: 372 18.8%
  • Is getting better, but not quite there yet

Votes: 544 27.4%
  • Is still nowhere being as good as it needs to be

Votes: 801 40.4%
  • I don't really care about State of Play, I want a return to live events

Votes: 267 13.5%

• Total voters

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a great opportunity to show off a catalog of indie and experimental games, but I'd much prefer live events for major announcements.

Oct 25, 2017
Did not like this one too much.

I say don't bother with them until you have something really really substantial.

The next state of Play should say "This state of Play will focus 20 minutes on indies".

That way we can set expectations.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
They still have a ways to go before it's E3 2016 levels of great, that was an amazing showcase and format, but I'd take multiple SoPs a year over 1 E3 2018.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
The format is fine but the content is not there yet. Once State of Play can deliver on the content like Nintendo Directs do on a consistent basis, then the justification to hold them will be there, I think.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I like these State of Plays and Nintendo Directs or whatever not because I enjoy watching them -- I haven't actually sat and watched these quick format presentations or a live conference since that Nintendo one where they spent ages on Smash Bros. as I think they're all boring -- but because the format seems to make it easier for things to be communicated in news/blog/forum posts. I feel like the pacing of a live conference makes keeping up with information as an outsider a bit messy.

So with that in mind I'm ok with it and encourage more of these.

Aug 9, 2018
I saw that recent State of Play thread and I would say that the reaction is kind of a mix, I do like that it is kind of direct to the point. I don't think that they plan on replacing live conferences/events with it so I'm fine with it. I think State of Play is well suited for titles that would not get their time on the big stage, updates on first party games and the occasional announcements before a big event.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fine enough format for smaller titles and updates on the big games from the first party studios, but it certainly doesn't replace conferences. There's still a lot of room for improvement with the SOP's.

I'll always prefer conferences though.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
When another platform holder does this type of format better then no, I can't call it successful. It's slowly getting better though.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
It was horrible. Nintendo is the only company to do this right. Save these directs for when there are enough bombs to drop and get people talking.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Platform Warring; Prior Warning for Platform Warring
didn't they just do their usual bit and copy Nintendo's success?

data

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a lot of people in this thread are missing that Directs themselves are a handful of big moments- one near the beginning, and a couple near the end- with a lot of interesting filler (but still filler) making up the bulk of them. They're not 40 minutes of pure hype, nothing is. I think State of Play is getting close to achieving that kind of pacing, though yes, being confined to what has been a relatively off-year for Sony so far does mean even their highs are not as high as the competition at times.
Sure.

But for me the beginning was lacking and I did not feel excited at all until tlou2. That killed the presentation for me because the first impression wasnt that great.

Nintendo also sprinkles a few interesting titles in between to keep your interest but it's obvious Sony, while copying the format, definitely did not have enough interesting content. Hell there was an advertisement for death stranding edition PS4 but no gameplay.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
It's not great but it's not bad either, it's a huge improvement on Inside Xbox that needs to die.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
It was horrible. Nintendo is the only company to do this right. Save these directs for when there are enough bombs to drop and get people talking.
The problem with this approach is that they would have to FULLY commit to the format, which both Xbox and PlayStation have and will not. E3 is still the big one with Game Awards next in line

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Sure.

But for me the beginning was lacking and I did not feel excited at all until tlou2. That killed the presentation for me because the first impression wasnt that great.

Nintendo also sprinkles a few interesting titles in between to keep your interest but it's obvious Sony, while copying the format, definitely did not have enough interesting content. Hell there was an advertisement for death stranding edition PS4 but no gameplay.
Okay, I can jive with that. I think a lot of that has to do with Sony being in an off-year though, as I said. I hope they stick with these even going into next year and beyond, because I think with a better selection of content they will be great.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's an okay idea for casual viewers. For people who actually follow games, trailer drops are better and straight to the point.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a pretty bad sign that people were still down on this one despite the presence of TLOU2.

It's also damning with faint praise if all you can say is that the format's good and improving, because they're using an established template and have been increasingly closer with each presentation.

May 10, 2019
The thing that State of Play still needs some work on is pacing, but a lot of that has to do with third party trailer pacing. Sometimes those don't always fit the direct style, and it's why Nintendo seems to get formatted trailers for their directs (at least in terms of non-spotlight games) to make everything just roll out smoothly.

Inside Xbox has so much "get to the point" filler and banter that anything is better than that, though.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Next gen will be better (if they choose to keep with it), Sony lineup at the moment is very dry and as I said on the other topic, they need to get way more indies to keep the stream entertaining.

What I want to see on next gen per episode: At least one 1st Party Game (announcement or update/new trailer); three or four 3rd Party AAA,; six or seven indies. They can toss some VR and even shows/movies (since they have a tv/movie studio now) announcements as well.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Its...fine. It doesnt really have any "oh shit moments" like Directs have, but I think that has more to do with Sony quietly loading the PS5 gun rather than the format itself.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
It works.

Show or no show to E3, ppl talk about PS games.

Current format of SoP, still makes for trending PS talk.

This is how marketing works. It doesn't matter if SoP isn't filled to the brim with megatons, as long as it gets people talking about PS.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
State of Play presentations always seem to end before they really get going. The format is good but it feels like they only ever have one game that carries the presentation - it's good to highlight the smaller ones but there's a balance to be found and they certainly haven't found it yet.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Format is ultimately irrelevant to me, it all depends on the content being shown. Ive seen people praise any show when stuff they personally like is being announced.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
It needs snappier writing and maybe a slightly more lively VA, but as a format its fine.

When people criticise the content, I find it rather confusing as we're just off of TGS where they showed a hell of a lot of stuff there too. Are people expecting huge megatons out of the PS4 that aren't already announced projects or something? The PS5 reveal is next year and so thats when the whole new slate will start getting drafted in.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
don't call it console warring lmao it was just an observation my guy.

they have a lot of work to do to get it up to scratch.
Your observation in and of itself may have had merit, the way you worded it was very clearly inflammatory. "Just do their usual bit and copy Nintendo's success" is console warring bullshit, and you know it.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The format is fine but every one so far has been pretty underwhelming with the content.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
20 minutes of games... a few minutes here and there of games Im not interested, totally fine.

the Xbox thing that is going on? Annoying presenters with bad jokes, lots of talking bla bla bla close tab.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I feel like a lot of people in this thread are missing that Directs themselves are a handful of big moments- one near the beginning, and a couple near the end- with a lot of interesting filler (but still filler) making up the bulk of them.
Yeah, that's good pacing while showing all kind of content (indies, ports, new games...) and is what makes Directs great. I mean, today's State of Play has not been close to any recent direct, as much as I want to play TLOU I knew that both a new trailer and a release date were going to be announced, I watched the other things (that were not interesting to me at all) while waiting for the trailer. On the other hand, the "one thing more" surprise at the end of most Directs make them far more interesting and less predictable.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I feel like a lot of people in this thread are missing that Directs themselves are a handful of big moments- one near the beginning, and a couple near the end- with a lot of interesting filler (but still filler) making up the bulk of them. They're not 40 minutes of pure hype, nothing is. I think State of Play is getting close to achieving that kind of pacing, though yes, being confined to what has been a relatively off-year for Sony so far does mean even their highs are not as high as the competition at times.

Have you not watched any recent Nintendo directs? What Sony showed off today for TLoU part 2 would have been something Nintendo would have put in the middle of their directs as "interesting filler" as you called it.

Aug 10, 2019
Nintendo Direct >>>> Sony's State of Play >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Inside Xbox

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
The format is fine, they just need to wait until they actually have stuff to talk about before doing one.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
They still need to figure out the pacing & how to show off the indie titles, as the presentation dragged a lot early on. Then we finally get to a bigger game, Death Stranding, & it's just the custom PS4 & Dual Shock that accompanies seemingly every Sony exclusive. To me that felt like a letdown.

I feel like part of it is nothing was surprising. They teased Last of Us 2 for a whole week, so by the time the State of Play started I know I was just thinking, "ok but where's Last of Us?" after every title. I think if they had just announced the State of Play yesterday without any Last of Us teases, then people would be a lot more excited about the show overall. Since it only delivered what we expected & little more, it just felt okay at best.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The format is perfectly fine. It's simple, but it works.

The issue is that so far all three State of Play had lackluster content. Clearly Sony is not interested in having those events be particularly big or meaningful rather than a way to deliver a handful of trailers that happens to be ready at roughly the same time and could be shown together because why not.