• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
So, are we thinking that Sony still has some surprises left for us before launch? Are we expecting one more last event before launch?

1. New game announcements
There are still several games rumoured, yet to be announced by Sony. A lot of insiders confirmed the existence of a new Silent Hill game, which a lot of people were hoping for to be revealed back in the June event.

Also, we don't know what Naughty Dog is up to, besides on working on the multiplayer mode for TLOU2. A new IP or a new Uncharted game?

Sony's Japan Studios is rumoured to be working on an ambitious new Sci-Fi AAA IP called "RaySpace". This one was expected to be revealed at Sonys PS5 events as well - yet nothing has been hinted towards that game at all.

Morre's Law is Dead has been right about a lot of things recently regarding rumoured games and things to be shown on the events. He also recently started the rumour that their is going to be one more event in October, and that Sony still has one more game to announce that could bring back a beloved IP, on which even Mark Cerny himself seems to work on. Could it be Jak & Dexter? Or maybe even... Knack 3?!

2. PS Now
As of now, PS Now is in a weird spot. You can stream certain PS3 titles and some PS4 games and even PS2 games can be downloaded. But Sony never pushed the service that much and while the service got better over time, it still doesn't feel right. Streaming games requires a very strong internet connection, preferably a wired connection or 5ghz wireless. However, the quality of streamed games via PS Now isn't up to the quality compared to other cloud based services. How could Sony make the service much more appealing to costumers? There has been rumours that PSNow will become the software based solution to full backwards compatiblity on the PS5. Since the PS4 can already emulate PS2 games, the PS5 should also be able to emulate PS1&PS2 and maybe even PS3 games. Could we see the return of PS1 and PS2 games coming back into the store and having a "game pass" for PS1/PS2 and maybe even PS3 games?

3. PS5 UI
There has been a lot of talk about how the PS5 UI will look like and what new features it will bring. Especially jumping right into the game instantly from the UI seems promising and i feel like Sony could hide some surprises left to still be shown.

What do you think? Does Sony still have some surprises lef before launch? If so, what do you think they could have been hiding all along?

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I don't think we're going to get new game announcements before launch. I think they're pretty much set there.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see an expansion of PSNow though. Maybe not before launch, but at some point. Sony needs to find a way to compete with Gamepass.

I hope we'll see a UI reveal soon, but I'm not super worried about it.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I don't see any new game announcements happening. They already have a great launch window lineup. Best to save any new announcements for when they're closer to launch and the initial launch window sales die down.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
No, there are still launch games we've seen very little footage of (Sackboy, All Star Destruction), so they'll need to focus on that. We probably won't see any major new first party stuff until next year.

I imagine we will see the UI demoed at some point, though, yes

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
No 'surprises' per say in the way you're thinking (they released all their news at the September 16th showing) but I'm expecting the UI to be quite great and forward thinking once shown (from what we've been able to gleam from patents, it is sounding quite promising).

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
lol, Rayspace is back I guess. Doubt thats a game, sounds like is a trademark related to tech

Doubt we get any new game announcements, they've announced 10 first-party titles since june, thats quite a few already

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I don't think we're going to get new game announcements before launch. I think they're pretty much set there.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see an expansion of PSNow though. Maybe not before launch, but at some point. Sony needs to find a way to compete with Gamepass.

I hope we'll see a UI reveal soon, but I'm not super worried about it.
If Sony is anything like the rest of us they know that ps now has to be revamped to keep up with game pass. MS has made it such a focus of next gen that Sony would seemingly have to respond.

Oct 24, 2019
I've been thinking we might get a Halloween-focused State of Play with focus on some third party horror and indie games (Quantum Error, Resident Evil 8, etc.) that finishes with a Silent Hill reveal.

More wishful thinking than an actual informed guess, but it would be cool

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
If they do it will just be a CG trailer which means nothing. I rather see the differences in the store and UI layout. Though part of me wants to be surprised until I actually power it on for the first time.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
Nothing major the first round of sales are set and done the big announcements will be done when things are settling down.

Oct 24, 2019
Morre's Law is Dead has been right about a lot of things recently regarding rumoured games and things to be shown on the events. He also recently started the rumour that their is going to be one more event in October, and that Sony still has one more game to announce that could bring back a beloved IP, on which even Mark Cerny himself seems to work on. Could it be Jak & Dexter? Or maybe even... Knack 3?!

I've been thinking for the past few weeks that we might get a Halloween-focused State of Play with some third party and indie horror titles (Quantum Error, Resident Evil 8, etc.) and finishing with the reveal of Silent Hill.

The Silent Hill part would certainly fit the description of what Moore's Law is saying (beloved IP, around Halloween, Cerny working on it since Cerny helps out with a lot of random first and second party games) so I'm starting to wonder if my guess is closer to reality than just wishful thinking haha.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I'm expecting one more ace in the hole. Probably the create button and how it works but could be some other os feature.

Disagree on PSNOW, it's worked fine for me and is great value for money.

Edit: I agree with others saying no more games. Demon's Souls being ready for launch was there big game moment recently but they completely fluffed the delivery.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I think the UI is going to be a lot more slick than people are expecting.

Hop in and out of PSNow streaming seamlessly with background cloud save syncing and seamless transitions from streamed game to downloaded game, Create button will have a huge impact on streaming from the PS5, more options with the new camera, PSN will be more integrated into the dashboard, quickly hop into multiplayer matches from the dashboard etc.

I think it's going to be a massive surprise.

fadeawayjae

May 31, 2019
There will probably be a new game reveal at launch like they did with Uncharted 4 being announced during the launch of the PS4, that or a legit reveal of the new GOW in trailer/gameplay.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
The Last of Us announcement in a few hours. Could be Factions MP and/or tlou2 ps5 remaster.

But yeah, Moore's Law is Dead has been talking about an unannounced game for some time now. I dont want to fully trust him, but he has been right about a lot recently, also PS related stuff. It's hard tho to actually predict when Sony will announce stuff. It changes constantly

Dec 16, 2017
I'm hoping for Last of Us 2 news about factions and patch/remaster but that's it. I'd like to see some videos of launch games released. It doesn't have to be an event though.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I'm guessing announcement of PS5 patched version of first party games. However I guess this every time and am wrong every time. Also the Spiderman patch put huge holes in my theory.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
Isn't there a hands on preview event for press early October? I assume that's when you'll get your UI breakdown

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I think they'll go over UI and that's about it. Maybe they'll put up a blog about PS+ Collection.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
I disagree that PS Now doesn't feel "right". The service is very good.

No it's not. Limited availability, poor catalogue and overall too expensive for what it offers.

It might look "very good" compared to Stadia.. But next to Game Pass Ultimate, and what's been revealed from Luna, it's serviceable, at best.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Jim Ryan:

giphy.gif

That being said, maybe Geoff Keighley will announce something for Sony instead

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
No it's not. Limited availability, poor catalogue and overall too expensive for what it offers.

It might look "very good" compared to Stadia.. But next to Game Pass Ultimate, and what's been revealed from Luna, it's serviceable, at best.

I have both and feel they offer about the same value. Enjoyment of the content is subjective so it's not really something you can argue against.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I don't see anything on the games front. They may do some deeper dives on some of the other first party titles like astrobot, sackboy and destruction all stars.

I think the biggest surprise left is the UI and why now instead of share the button on the controller is create and what that means for PlayStation.

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to seeing the UI and features.
I'm sure that create button unlocks the last 1% of PS4 bc.
/s

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Preorders are sold out, people that are going to buy it are going to buy it.

I think it makes the most sense to save some reveals for after launch, not before.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I've been hoping we'd see some VR hardware sneak peek at some point before launch. Seems distant, though.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
I have both and feel they offer about the same value. Enjoyment of the content is subjective so it's not really something you can argue against.

I completely disagree.

Say you have a Ferrari, and I have a VW. I could say that "they offer the same value", because in the end, they take me to places. I could also say that I get plenty of enjoyment for driving my VW. But, that doesn't mean that my VW is a better product than your Ferrari. It simply isn't.

Saying that PS Now and Game Pass offer the "same value", is simple ridiculous. This isn't a subjective matter. One service is MUCH better than the other.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I completely disagree.

Say you have a Ferrari, and I have a VW. I could say that "they offer the same value", because in the end, they take me to places. I could also say that I get plenty of enjoyment for driving my VW. But, that doesn't mean that my VW is a better product than your Ferrari. It simply isn't.

Saying that PS Now and Game Pass offer the "same value", is simple ridiculous. This isn't a subjective matter. One service is MUCH better than the other.

Ok. Not an argument I want to have

Sep 7, 2020
Before launch? No I don't foresee any major announcements. the pre-launch stuff is pretty much set. However, come December at TGA........expect magic. I just have a feeling Sony and Microsoft will be players at TGA this year with announcements.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest

I completely disagree.

You don't even know what you're talking about. It's the same price as gamepass and has over 650 games on it. That right there alone makes it good even if gamepass is better. And I'm subscribed to gamepass and not psnow lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Yes. I hope so, anyway. Something exciting to get the gen started with more "bangs".

Only expecting the teardown, UI, hands-on with some of the games, and some more TV ads though.

It is absolutely subjective. Depending on the games you like, people can prefer one over the other. PS Now offers more games, both to download and stream, than GamePass by itself. However, if you really dig the Xbox exclusives and third party selection on GP / GP for PC, then it will be better to you.