• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems to only work in JRPGS or strategy games since the camera fucks it up

Oct 27, 2017
buy eiyuden chronicle when it releases!

eiyuden-chronicle-kickstarter-ad2cd.png

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I'm on board with this, that's a dope art style.

What I'm not on board with is posting pictures and gifs without any titles just so that we can quote you and ask what it is.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
This is legit one of the reasons why i loved that very specific era of Falcom games with things like Oath in Felghana, Trails in the Sky, etc, they look beautiful. BEAUTIFUL

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna lie that first gif always made me want to take a look at the game, it's Breath of Fire 4 right?

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Need more 2.5D rpgs in general, isometric perspective or not. Also plz no disgusting prerendered sprites like the Trails series.

a08ded9f-73d2-4f56-8080-559afb64dbac.jpg

Valkyrie Profile - Covenant of the Plume

Radiant-Historia.jpg

Radiant Historia

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I was literally just testing this type of stuff out in unity. I love that look so much.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Need more 2.5D rpgs in general, isometric perspective or not. Also plz no disgusting prerendered sprites like the Trails series.

...I feel kind of stupid for never noticing that now lol. I generally can't stand prerendered sprites, at least in DKC and Super Mario RPG, but I've always liked how Trails looks and never even noticed the sprites were prerendered. It's very obvious now that I'm looking, but uh whoops.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
OMG yes please! More 2.5 is a must. More indie devs need to move to this! Kinda getting tired of seeing only 2d scrolling with that flash vibe to it.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll always be an advocate for Breath of Fire III & Breath of Fire IV, despite most fans of the RPG genre feel indifferent towards both titles.

I know whenever I bring up BOF III in conversations, a lot of fans will make a stink about the jazz-focused OST, some of which will claim it's "ear wrenching." :/

I didn't give a single crap about BOF3 until I heard this phrase

I am now all in

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
I highly agree. I have been playing Dark Savior for Sega Saturn and I like the look a whole lot. Also love all the 3D elements in Symphony of the Night.

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together-3-650x366.jpg

PSP Tactic Ogre Let Us Cling Together on the beautiful Vita screen is peak video game art in motion.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
...I feel kind of stupid for never noticing that now lol. I generally can't stand prerendered sprites, at least in DKC and Super Mario RPG, but I've always liked how Trails looks and never even noticed the sprites were prerendered. It's very obvious now that I'm looking, but uh whoops.
I won't say all of 'em look bad. I quite like the look of the prerendered sprites in Ogre Battle 64, mainly 'cause they're not so squished and chibified.

e74e612c6e6428e4df55a3191b844ea8.gif

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
When I thing of western RPGS is more like 3rd person action games like Bioware, the witcher, etc
They're probably talking about more traditional isometric CRPGs like Baldur's Gate, Fallout 2, Divinity, Pillars of Eternity, etc. Those games are technically the opposite of what I'm talking about though -- they use fully 2D environments and sometimes 3D character models (like a lot of pre-rendered JRPGs actually).

I wonder if any CRPG developer would consider going the opposite route -- some of them do have fully 3D graphics with the same character angles, but would they combine that with 2D sprites kinda like Eiyuden? I don't see why a company like InXile or Larian would. The Japanese companies do it specifically to evoke a style of classic console RPG. Maybe if a western developer wanted to evoke some kind of hand-drawn or painted look that approach might help.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I love these art styles. I love the creative ways devs found to add details to the environments in games like FFT and Vandal Hearts, where everything must conform to the geometric restrictions. I love how the environments so often look like cute little dioramas I want all over my desk.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
No thanks.

I much prefer the modern take on this style.

Games whos art styles I prefer:
  • Saga Frontier remaster
  • Octopath Traveler
  • Project Triangle Strategy
  • Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes

Theanine

Oct 3, 2020
I was super fond of the graphic style used in the DS Dragon Quest games. That blend of 2D with low-poly 3D was perfect.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Sign me up. Not just RPGs either. Games like Sim City 2000 and Rollercoaster Tycoon (1/2/classic).

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I dislike about those game visuals are the chibi characters. BoF 4 is still the gold standard imo because its characters have better proportions. I wished more games copied BoF 4. Still gorgeous to this day.