• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I...actually thought it was a pretty basic CG trailer. The WoW and Diablo ones blew me away with how well they are edited and paced.
This felt like a hollow saturday morning cartoon it just felt really run of the mill at heart despite looking fantastic.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Hah, man. Some of the responses in this thread are pretty discouraging. The level of discourse on ERA should really be higher than this. This is some GameFAQs circa-2002 low-effort posting.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a well produced trailer but I don't have any emotional connection to the characters so it didn't do anything for me, and I don't find Genji cool so him doing the 'saving the day at the last second' thing and doing his iconic move didn't hit me like it did others.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
yes blizzard has definitely highlighted deflecting this blizzcon

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Yeah it was a very cool trailer. Some of my friends didn't realize that Overwatch 1 ingame is not cannon and that the new Overwatch crew have not actually been hanging out together all this time so the impact of some stuff was lost a bit upon first viewing.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yeah, this was fucking amazing. I made big cummies.

Don't even care that it was "predictable", shit was cool.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Hah, man. Some of the responses in this thread are pretty discouraging. The level of discourse on ERA should really be higher than this. This is some GameFAQs circa-2002 low-effort posting.

I don't think that's entirely fair. You were dismissive about Marvel's approach to this kind of bravura, but you failed to explain how this execution was any more deft or how it avoided coming across as hackneyed.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard CGI artists are wizards and this trailer is beautiful if a bit formulaic. I've never had much attachment for these characters as they've always felt like soulless archetypes, I think the designs are well suited for a story campaign but they have a lot of ground to make up to make that interesting

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

There are lots of subtly impressive things being done throughout the entire trailer that put every other CGI gaming trailer to shame, IMO.

The level of discourse on ERA should really be higher than this.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that it was cliche, but it was so well executed nonetheless. Maybe it's the music?

I think that the OW2 trailer might have been my favorite of the Con, even moreso than Diablo (and I love WoW too).

Blizzard has amazing animators and artists, but they also have amazing directors. The trailer format is an artform, and the people directing these are absolutely top-notch.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's entirely fair. You were dismissive about Marvel's approach to this kind of bravura, but you failed to explain how this execution was any more deft or how it avoided coming across as hackneyed.
Oh, sorry. I'm not referring to posts saying that they found it to be too predictable/formulaic. That's a valid criticism if it doesn't resonate with you.

I'm referring to all of the one-sentence "Fuck Blizzard" posts.

That's not activism. That's just derailing a thread with a thoughtless, lazy post that achieves nothing.

Secondly, it's conflating the condemnable decisions of top brass at Blizzard with those of all the hard-working people that crafted this trailer. Hell, the animation studio that made it isn't even part of Blizzard.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Blizzard CGI artists are wizards and this trailer is beautiful if a bit formulaic. I've never had much attachment for these characters as they've always felt like soulless archetypes, I think the designs are well suited for a story campaign but they have a lot of ground to make up to make that interesting

The D4 cg trailer was actually incredible. Great visuals and interesting.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was fine?

The other cinematics kinda built on Overwatch jumping back in action, and this was supposed to be that rah rah moment, and it was just ok?

It was overly dramatic, I didn't believe for 2 seconds Winston or Mei were in actual life threatening danger, I expected someone to save the day.

Genji being the one to do it was, again, fine? I guess? A Ninja cyborg deflecting giant plasma blasts, ok, we know he deflects a lot in-game.

Rest of it was by the numbers generic heroics, and silliness with people showing up.

I thought the other trailers did a better job on world building and suspense as well as surprising me expectation-wise.

This trailer was just very generic heroics to me.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The trailers for Diablo IV and WoW Shadowlands were pretty impressive, but this was a pretty standard fare. Yes, it's well executed, but that's about it?

(and also, fuck Blizzard)

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Oh, sorry. I'm not referring to posts saying that they found it to be too predictable/formulaic. That's a valid criticism if it doesn't resonate with you.

I'm referring to all of the one-sentence "Fuck Blizzard" posts.

That's not activism. That's just derailing a thread with a thoughtless, lazy post that achieves nothing.

Oh, I see - fair enough. The mods are pretty consistent on this, so it's always something to be aware of.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Technically, it's fantastic.

Ironically, I had much more of an emotional response to the original trailer:

And that was the first time meeting those characters, before playing with them for hundreds of hours!

This felt...by the numbers? Something about it felt like they ran down a checklist of "team comes back together" moments, with no actual weight behind them.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this was fucking amazing. I made big cummies.

Don't even care that it was "predictable", shit was cool.
03s6Btl.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how perspectives can differ with stuff like this. For me, the MCU movies fall completely flat in moments like these and hold no emotional pull whatsoever for me. But this trailer had several goosebump-inducing moments of resonance for me. Like, both examples rely on somewhat predictable tropes and a childlike sense of good vs evil, but I just feel that these OW trailers/shorts do a better job than the MCU in pulling me in with their incredibly cohesive and technically impressive aesthetics and execution.

Yeah not a chance, this is a cool scene and I can understand why it gets people excited but it's pulling from the same handbook as similar MCU moments.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah not a chance, this is a cool scene and I can understand why it gets people excited but it's pulling from the same handbook as similar MCU moments.
Sure, on paper. But in practice this works better for me because I'm looking at an exquisitely animated/stylized cohesive final product that immerses me more in the characters and events unfolding on screen as compared to Marvel movies where I'm seeing actors juxtaposed with some pretty unconvincing and middling CGI backgrounds, hordes of enemies, etc.

I'm not trying to discredit anyone who feels the opposite. That's just how I feel about the MCU movies compared to something similar like this.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The hyprocricy level of OW2 and the trailer is off the charts. It gets promoted on Twitter with the slogan "stand together!" and Lucio says ingame stuff like "You can't let politicians tell you what to do, that's not what heroes do!". How can someone at Blizzard look at that remain serious. Or how can players actually believe those claims.

Foxtastical

Oct 27, 2017
Now, listen. I'm a generally hard-to-impress 30-something cynic who finds most bombastic bravura cinema (e.g. the Marvel movies) to be hackneyed and ineffective when utilizing similar tropes in their big climax moments, but I am sincerely gobsmacked by how well-executed this scene is. I understand that to some people the hopeful, Pixar-influenced style of Overwatch's many animated shorts/trailers comes off as cheesy or predictable. I can see how that would be someone's perspective. But I think it's just how well the animation/sound teams come together to absolutely nail this heroic, positive vibe in their various animated works that makes these appeal to me where similar pieces of recent cinema do not.
Jeez. You're going to put down and devalue a certain type of movie for doing the same thing that you're celebrating OW2 for? Your identity doesn't have to be so closely tied to what you define as "good taste" in entertainment media. Taste is just that—taste. No one likes a character like Bernard Berkman.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez. You're going to put down and devalue a certain type of movie for doing the same thing that you're celebrating OW2 for? Your identity doesn't have to be so closely tied to what you define as "good taste" in entertainment media. Taste is just that—taste. No one likes a character like Bernard Berkman.
I'm not coming from a place of perceived elevated taste. I've acknowledged several times throughout this thread that I can see how people would feel the opposite with regard to this trailer versus similar scenes in MCU movies. I was just pointing out how this trailer's execution from an animation standpoint was able to break through my typically cynical perspective on these kinds of trope-y hero ensemble sequences and impress me.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
It was cool, but cliché. The usual "heroes about to be defeated.. but oh my gah here comes this other hero to save the day". Even Call of Duty did the same with Price in the game and he was already revealed.

Manufactured moments to get fans hyped. Reminds me of the Resident Evil movie scripts were Paul Anderson put notes around specific scenes that he intended for people to clap and scream.

I do like this moments, anyway. :p

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's predictable (duh) but the music when they arrive makes it.

I hope the new pve content actually moves the story forward in a meaningful way/has plenty of cutscenes.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
So is this a prequel?
How is it that France isn't aware of Overwatch and W is it that they don't all know each other? I thought they were all friends?

The game takes place like, 5 minutes of the first OW teaser/reveal where Winston recalls everyone. So it pretty much is set before OW1/the OW multiplayer.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I think Blizzard does an amazing job with cinematic trailers. I really liked the OW2 one and the WoW expansion one made me want to play again.

I have never been one to follow the lore behind Blizzard games, I just like to play them.

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
I liked it, but super predictable and slightly cheesy. Would help if Winston hadn't signposted multiple times throughout the trailer that he was hoping for these folks to show up. That's what makes this scene less effective than Vision/Scarlet Witch vs Outriders, say

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany

When you start like this

DISCLAIMER: I understand that any threads centering around recent Blizzard announcements tend to drum up conversation about the company's controversial designs as of late with regard to their actions toward players who've voiced support of Hong Kong, but in this instance I'd kindly ask that we not derail this particular thread as that has no bearing on this specific piece of art that I'm trying to highlight/praise.

, asserting that for a piece of art depicting heroes standing by their allies in a time of need it is irrelevant how the company behind the trailer behaved in contradiction to the values they're trying to sell, you are not looking for high level discourse.

Last edited:

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping they would kill off Mei. It's a good trailer and the blizzard cinematic team is amazing. Sometimes you don't need to swerve anyone just send the fans home happy.

Oct 25, 2017
Genji wearing like a cyber-robot hood looks so fucking dumb tho.
Like, bad parody levels dumb

"Let's not talk about a company siding with an authoritarian regime here, in here we can only talk about the robot ninja looking cool, thanks."
High level discourse

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
but in this instance I'd kindly ask that we not derail this particular thread as that has no bearing on this specific piece of art that I'm trying to highlight/praise.

It does have a bearing as even in that trailer (that I only saw due to the Giantbomb Extra life stream) they tried to use anti government messages while at the same time supporting a government that is harvesting the organs of living human beings and will ban anyone that speaks out against it. As for the trailer itself its confusing as its unclear as it seems like a prequel but its a sequel somehow and story trailers are so pointless for a game with no singleplayer. Also are you someone that defends Roman Palanski, child rapist because he makes art and employees people that work hard?

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (5 days): antagonizing another member with avatar-shaming, abusing the report system
The hyprocricy level of OW2 and the trailer is off the charts. It gets promoted on Twitter with the slogan "stand together!" and Lucio says ingame stuff like "You can't let politicians tell you what to do, that's not what heroes do!". How can someone at Blizzard look at that remain serious. Or how can players actually believe those claims.
Looking at your avatar and username I don't think you should judge 😬

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that scene specifically woke something in me and I'm not very easy to be impressed. Every little nuanced that you mentioned added everything.

But yeah, fuck Blizzard.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah Blizz had some great CG trailers this Blizzcon. The OW2 trailer was great but the Diablo 4 cinematic with Lilith's reveal was masterfully executed.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
"Let's not talk about a company siding with an authoritarian regime here, in here we can only talk about the robot ninja looking cool, thanks."
High level discourse
Or maybe follow the forum rules and keep your posts within the topic of the thread? Noone is preventing you from making threads about that topic and discussing it there.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

All of the art you consume is made by companies that don't adhere to the values their characters hold. There are no good corporations.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
It was good, but the Lilith reveal in D4 I thought was a much better moment.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The music made it, the main theme (I assume) for OW2 is so good

Genji's hoodie is still silly. Why does the line on it have to line up with his eyes

That Diablo 4 trailer was unreal though.