• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People often make posts here along the lines of "I wish it were socially acceptable for me to <do thing I want to do>." If I were to make such a thread, the thing I want to do would definitely be wearing cargo pants, anytime or all the time. Yeah, they often look baggy, sloppy, and slovenly, but they're so useful. In a world where we're expected to carry around a big set of keys, a giant honking wallet, a big-ass cell phone, and god knows what else, it's nice to have an pants-option that lets us lug all that stuff around with ease. Granted a normal set of pants gives you 4 separate pockets, but let's face it, those back pockets are useless. Nobody wants to sit down and have wallet or a set of keys jammed into their ass cheeks. So when wearing regular pants you're pretty much stuck trying to get everything into those two front pockets. The situation is even worse for smokers or vapers, who somehow have to fit a vape rig, pack of cigarettes, Juul device, and/or a lighter into already-stuffed pockets.

Even if your pockets aren't already stuffed to the brim with items, having all that extra space means that each item can have its own discrete pocket. 1 pocket for wallet, 1 for keys, 1 for cell phone, 1 for an extra accessory like lighters, pens, or a knife. Everything has its own separate storage space so you aren't stuck rifling through one pocket that is attempting to hold multiple items. No more do you have to worry about something falling out of your pocket because your keys snagged it when you were pulling them out -- everything is separate and in its place.

And to top it all off, cargo pants are generally comfy as all hell. Loose, flowing, and light. If you have to wear pants, you might as well be wearing cargo pants.

I feel bad for ladies. They face many challenges in the modern world, and not the least of these is that it is even less socially acceptable for them to wear cargo pants -- despite the fact that they would benefit even more from them than men currently do. If they had room in their pants all the additional stuff they have to carry around, they wouldn't be stuck rummaging through purses to find that lipstick, chapstick, compact, moisturizer, body spray, etc. They could perhaps ditch the purse entirely, and not have to carry around an additional bag all day. The purse is an unacceptable point of failure -- if you happen to leave it, lose it or it gets stolen, you are absolutely fucked.

Winter is our only respite from the ever present pocket-problem, since jackets tend to provide enough additional storage that we don't need our beloved cargo pants. But spring is just around the corner right now, and when the days get warmer you can be sure I'll be dreaming of an ideal world where I am judged not by the content of my massive pockets, but by the content of my character.

Do you agree? If so please chime in, and post some pictures of your favorite cargos (shorts or pants or even the more rarefied cargo skirts).

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I loved them when I was a retail grunt and was sad when I had to move onto retail management. I was able to keep my phone, knife, radio, pens, highlighter, sharpie, work papers etc in pockets. When I went into management I was for some reason expected to keep all the same shit in dress pants.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I won't judge anyone for wearing them, but I think they're ugly as hell.

Puttting stuff in he leg pockets is also really uncomfortable, imo, so their main function is completely useless to me.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oof where to even start

having one item per pocket is absurd

baggy clothing does not inherently equal more comfortable clothing

You yourself named the three items you're required to carry: phone, wallet, keys. That's three of the four available pockets, and a wallet sits nicely in a back pocket when appropriately filled. I have my ID, credit card, and debit card.

Re: your criticism of bags; bags are amazing and I carry one frequently. Anyone rifling through their bag to find something simply has a disorganized bag.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
it's just clothes. anyone who judges anyone for what they wear isn't worth anyone's time.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally only wear cargo shorts with pockets on the pockets. I'm like a walking 90's Lifeld drawing.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
it's just clothes. anyone who judges anyone for what they wear isn't worth anyone's time.

The vast majority of people you interact with on a daily basis are not going to end up being your friend, but they'll often pop up on a recurring basis and I'd like to make a good impression. Even if it's idealistically unfair of them to judge you on the basis of your appearance, they will.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I will defend cargo pants until the day I die. So fucking comfy, and they actually have pockets big enough for a phone and a wallet (and lipstick, and a compact brush/mirror, et cetera). They seem to be considered somewhat fashionable at the moment, thankfully. Was able to buy some cute pairs. Gotta stock up before they're out of style again.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I have never thought to myself "damn, I would give up my dignity and honor right now if I just had more pockets to carry all of this unnecessary stuff". Disagreed.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Cargo pants are uncomfortable. The bagginess is too much, especially if you have items in the pockets that shift around as you move and I don't need the extra weight.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Are y'all unaware that cargos are trendy again? Tapered though, none of this baggy shit.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You yourself named the three items you're required to carry: phone, wallet, keys. That's three of the four available pockets, and a wallet sits nicely in a back pocket when appropriately filled. I have my ID, credit card, and debit card.
Those are just the absolute bare essentials though. Wouldn't you carry around more than that, if there were a socially acceptable garment that allowed you to do so? Most people probably have at least 1-2 more items that are important and essential to them. It could be something like chapstick, cigarettes, comb, pen, knife, or ID badge+lanyard. Drinkers need room for a flask too! People with dry skin should have space for a tube of moisturizer.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
they're unironically uncomfortable as fuck. Baggy clothing just feels fucking gross to wear tbh.

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I used to wear them along with carpenter jeans but I just prefer plain cotton chinos these days or something dressier. That said, I do like these from All American Clothing.

AACUP_CH_Back_486x518.jpg

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
baggy clothing does not inherently equal more comfortable clothing
The bagginess is too much, especially if you have items in the pockets that shift around as you move and I don't need the extra weight.
Are y'all unaware that cargos are trendy again? Tapered though, none of this baggy shit.
I would point out that yes, there are a fair number of slim-fit cargo pants on the market currently. I tend to feel like they have the same stigma attached to them as the baggy ones though, and they're not really as comfortable.

WP594_BK_FR.jpg

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
They're comfy and useful, but I mostly use the short ones. I'm a dad now and having more places to put stuff for the baby is useful.

However, it seems that the long ones look trendy nowadays.

9281255-1-khaki

Oct 25, 2017
The smart phone kind of killed the need for cargo pants. Phone, music player, game device, gps, and more. Fits easily in the front pocket

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with cargo pants and shorts lies in the fit, as with most clothes. People who ridicule cargos do so because of ill fitting and oversized ones, which looked stupid even when we all thought baggy clothes were cool. Properly fitting shorts and pants look fine in both styles.

Just as long as the pockets are overstuffed. If you're not hiking, don't overstuff the pockets.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The smart phone kind of killed the need for cargo pants. Phone, music player, game device, gps, and more. Fits easily in the front pocket
I kinda feel the opposite way. If I am going to carry a $700 phone, I don't want it sharing a pocket with other items that might scratch the screen or pens that might leave ink on the body.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
retro-fanny-pack-waist-packs-for-men.jpg

Bought this for my latest trip. It felt so good not to have my pockets crammed with shit all the time.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day they are just pants.

If you want to get religious get back at me with some sweatpants and flip flops.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
retro-fanny-pack-waist-packs-for-men.jpg

Bought this for my latest trip. It felt so good not to have my pockets crammed with shit all the time.
I too hope for a day when it is socially acceptable for men to wear purses, but I think that cargo pants will probably gain acceptance long before that day arrives.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
My wife buys me cargo shorts because she says she likes how I look in them.

Who am I to argue?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
First of all I'm not reading all that god damned wall of text about how cargo shorts or pants are great. Unless you're a dad who just took a time machine from the 90s there is no reason for you to have that many pockets and you look like a fucking dumbass.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Guess I'm the only one who worked retail in this thread. Hearing there's no reason for do many pockets when I mentioned a minimum of 7 things being on my person at the time sure doesn't make sense to me. And I even forgot until someone else mentioned it I smoked at the time, so I'd also have cigarette and lighters, print e me up to 9 things in my pockets at any given moment. Add to that I would also maybe need to grab tools, or various other things, there was a great need for them.

Not that I really care, it's been like 6 years since I've worn any, but still.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
If you wanna be at the cutting edge of fashion you gotta be rockin' these Randy Marsh's though

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
You do realize the (absolutely idiotic) stigma against wearing small bags (actually just fanny packs worn across your chest) in the US is fading away, slowly but surely, right? Just wear a small sling or sacoche for tiny essentials, not a big deal.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'm the only one who worked retail in this thread. Hearing there's no reason for do many pockets when I mentioned a minimum of 7 things being on my person at the time sure doesn't make sense to me. And I even forgot until someone else mentioned it I smoked at the time, so I'd also have cigarette and lighters, print e me up to 9 things in my pockets at any given moment. Add to that I would also maybe need to grab tools, or various other things, there was a great need for them.

Not that I really care, it's been like 6 years since I've worn any, but still.
I never needed to carry things like that when working retail.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I never needed to carry things like that when working retail.
Fair enough, that wasn't my implication. But it was a company with 40,000 people, and my fourth retail job where I was expected to carry such things, so it's pretty unusual to me nobody else had that experience I guess. I would also regularly have to have handheld scanners and cleaning supplies on me, come to think of it. Overnight I often had headphones too.

All of this is to say, anyway, that the pants have a utilitarian function, and anyone acting like they don't is wrong. They may be ugly, but they're practical as fuck.