• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 5, 2020
It's the easiest way to make your game look cheap and undesirable.

nJCu52K.jpg

VU1allC.jpg

nzg3mm7.jpg

vN4Ckco.jpg

Last edited:

Roxoriku

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't quite agree as a general statement. There is a more fundamental flaw in art direction with those two games than just the combination of "cartoon-y" and "big heads"

I mean, that art just isn't appealing regardless of head size.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if I'd say "worst", but it certainly looks cheap. It's weird too, because I used to think big head modes in games were hilarious.

I kinda like that caricature-esque art for the NBA game though. The soccer one is just bad.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I think you mean semi realistic caricature look with large heads.

Big heads in games like Mario = Good!

Big heads and semi realistic = automatic association with mobile garbage

Oct 27, 2017
This is better than super janky ps1 era realism graphics. There's a reason nobody tries to recreate it as a retro look.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I put NBA Playgrounds 2 on my Xmas list for younger kids. I hate the artstyle but it's the closest thing to NBA Jam, plus a casual friendly basketball game.

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure this is the biggest reason FFIX never caught on, despite the fact that it's the best FF game.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I don't quite agree as a general statement. There is a more fundamental flaw in art direction with those two games than just the combination of "cartoon-y" and "big heads"

Agreed. It can be done well. Hell, every chibi character is technically this style and it usually works. Plenty of other stylized cartoony games do it and it works. The issue with the examples in the OP is that they're still trying to use too much realism in the wrong way. I'd actually argue the NBA Playgrounds one is fine and works because the heads are also stylized sufficiently.

It's this or fake anime.
Actually yeah. I think fake anime is probably the actual answer here.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Your examples aren't cartoony with giant heads, they're realistic with giant heads.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Then they should have said "realistic" and not "cartoony."

A realistic style is different from realistic proportions. Both of them are "cartoony" (or stylized). The first with it's cell shaded look, the second with it's painterly look. They're not going for realism like something like Call of Duty does. You can be cartoony but still follow lumis' head rule. Animal Crossing is clearly going for a cartoon look all around.

84c7d7df63bcd611ebdd64bab160aa0f.png

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it strikes me as a visual shorthand for low-budget, shallow, and aimed and people who don't yet know how bad these games are.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A realistic style is different from realistic proportions. Both of them are "cartoony" (or stylized). The first with it's cell shaded look, the second with it's painterly look. They're not going for realism like something like Call of Duty does. You can be cartoony but still follow lumis' head rule. Animal Crossing is clearly going for a cartoon look all around.

84c7d7df63bcd611ebdd64bab160aa0f.png
Right, I get that, but saying "cartoony look with the giant heads" encompasses so many possible art styles that it's an all around ridiculous sentiment/criticism that very few people of taste could agree with. "Realistic features with cartoony proportions" is what I would have said, given OPs examples.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
REALISTIC with big head, yes it is one of the worst ever

Stylized with big head is awesome!
Saying Pocket Fighter is a bad design is an easy way to make me your arch enemy

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's the quickest way to figure out the budget of a game. If I see one of those monster dome, little body motherfuckers, I know that thing was underfunded and given a year of development time.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is that why I don't like that "mobile game" art style? Was it the head proportions all this time?

Tuxedotank

Jan 9, 2018
I do not like the character design in a lot of ds/3ds games: bravely default, the final fantasy 3d remakes, alliance alive, etc. Something about the big head, stumpy-legged style really irritates me.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017

Yeah. TF2 for instance is cartoony with exaggerated proportions, but I don't think anybody's ever said it has bad art direction.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I thought you meant chibi but this is much worse.

Also Nendo figures and SD Gundam kinda sold me on chibi art ngl