• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
While I'm very glad I managed to grab a launch-day system at Target, it's kinda BS that folks that pre-ordered are still waiting for theirs.

Turbocharge

Sep 28, 2020
There should be a poll on this.

From my perspective, the only issue surrounding this launch has been availability - and that's something that all hardware launches suffer with. Really, I think the launch has been very smooth - ridiculously so, considering the worldwide conditions that we find ourselves in.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Really? There is massive global pandemic, if anything massive props to both companies for handling it as it is.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
I never understand why companies don't just take everyone's order that wants one and then ship consoles when they become available. If you find one in person or at another place sooner? Great, cancel your longer waiting preorder.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered on september 22 without any hassle. Console arrived nicely on november 10 with clear details at what time etc.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neither console has any major weaknesses.

Both seem to have the closest level of power we've ever seen.

There doesn't seem to be any red ring of death type issues showing up at all yet.

They launched during the worst pandemic in a generation.

So nah, they did very well.

Naythan

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
I pre-ordered both consoles online and received them on launch day and have been quietly enjoying them at home. I'm sure plenty of people, probably most people who ordered these consoles, are in the same boat.

HouseAR

May 17, 2020
I have never seen anything so bad in my lifetime.

People who preordered in September getting delayed/cancelled at the last moment.

Retailers dripping their entire stock on multiple daysnfor

Some retailers saying they are only selling online yet some are selling consoles in-store so when you ask them you'll get a different answer every-time

Retailers getting stock yet holding onto them for the future. Apparently Walmart has Series X but they aren't selling them yet; some say in two weeks, some say tomorrow.

Who planned this shit?

Are you aware that we are facing a pandemic and several global supply chains are problematic along with big concerns of retailers not to create assemblies of people in their stores?

Some people sometime seem to be living in a parallel world where everything is normal and quiet.

To me it's already fantastic that next gen is launching on time, a few delays or distribution problems at launch is a really minor problem. We should just relax and take it easier

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say there's at least faith that these consoles are getting out to people. Lots of people on here have them. Instagram and Reddit are packed with photos from regular customers who have them. There's been photos from stores and warehouses packed with photos of the systems ready for customers.

Compared to the Nvidia GPU launches.. Sony and Microsoft have done well.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
I'm heart broken.

I pre-ordered it, but then the guy who was selling it said he only received a few units and I went into the waiting list for next year. I'm tempted to pay for a scalped one because money isnt an issue for me. But I wont obviously. I'm just sad.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Received my XSX on launch day from Amazon as promised. I'm in the UK, so we haven't had our PS5 launch yet, but I expect my delivery to go the same way. No issues here.

Oct 28, 2017
The consoles themselves seem to have launched without a hitch. All the features work as expected, people are happy, etc. Sure there are supply issues, and I am still trying to secure either one, but I expected that.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
My biggest complaint is everything feels beta as hell. Valhalla, Cold War, PS5 stability... all feel like they needed another 3 months in the oven.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Total disaster? No OP you couldn't be more wrong.

I'm amazed how well Sony and Microsoft have launched these consoles considering we are in the middle of global pandemic. Teams are working from home and shipping supplies have been hit hard.

Don't be so dramatic.

Neifirst

Oct 27, 2017
First time since the PS2 that I wasn't able to get a console I wanted on launch day. Disappointed, but I'll live.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Are you aware that we are facing a pandemic and several global supply chains are problematic along with big concerns of retailers not to create assemblies of people in their stores?

Some people sometime seem to be living in a parallel world where everything is normal and quiet.

To me it's already fantastic that next gen is launching on time, a few delays or distribution problems at launch is a really minor problem. We should just relax and take it easier

This entire thread premise is hilarious. It's a complaint about console shipping and manufacturing with a complete lack of awareness regarding the pandemic, everything surrounding the election, an under-funded USPS, to OP asking "Who planned this shit?" from a person who's username has the word "Virus" in it. I'm genuinely surprised the OP hasn't asked for the thread to be locked out of sheer embarrassment.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Looking back I'm just glad I didnt listen to some of y'all on here talking about Sony would never do preorders after their september show. I remember getting my CC info ready on all the sites while the show was going on just in case. This place burned and cursed walmart for taking orders after the show, and cursed amazon for joining the party late. Crazy times, but that's 2020 for you. Both consoles have been pretty great so far! :)

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
This is kinda reminiscent of PS2. It's not so bad.

Now Wii...you couldn't find a Wii on a store shelf half a year after launch - insane price gouging via bundles at Game Stop and even rogue Target stores made it hard to get MSRP even at retail.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd disagree.

PlayStation has great launch games, looks to have a great first year, the new UI is great and mine is arriving on launch day. I couldn't be happier with the PS5 barring a few missing OS features.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
It's uneventful more than anything in my experience, due to covid19. Not a single game interest me, so that also doesn't help.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Some of it could have been handled better, the pre-orders from both companies were a disaster. But considering the circumstances of this year I'm willing to give them a pass and even congratulate them on getting them out. Myself being one of those who was unable to get a pre-order.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Even without the pandemic this seems par for the course for me. The only 100% smooth launches I remember ever happening were the Xbox One and PS4 launches.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Retail has been a total disaster - I really hope they can develop better ways to mitigate bots at least to give more people a fighting chance.

The consoles themselves seem solid, ps5 have a great launch lineup. MS seem to have dropped the ball on launch software (yes halo was delayed but they should have had more in prep) but they're pushing gamepass and BC above all so they probably consider this a successful launch too

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, my Xbox came two days late. Much better than I expected

The real disaster is the lack of super enthralling launch games. Thank god for Gamepass

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your name has virus in it.

The year is 2020.

Think about it.
BreakableScornfulBirdofparadise-small.gif

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Between the 3080, Zen 3, and now the consoles, this is the roughest I've seen from a total stock perspective in a long time. COVID is likely partially to blame, both for potentially lower/harder to ship stock, and lots of people at home bored out of their minds.

Yep.

3080 that got delayed.

5800X got delayed

Xbox Series X arrived on Friday

PS5 Friday also.

980Pro SSD still on backorder...

Supply chain for all items is taking a beating

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, no issues here. Playstation 5 arrived on time and works great. Can't believe they were able to get it all done during a pandemic.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
How has this been different from any other console launch? There are always preorder screw ups and there are never enough consoles made to satisfy initial demand

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I was able to get a PS5 successfully on launch day (got very lucky that a friend texted me about Walmart preorders and I jumped immediately), but I haven't been so lucky with the XSX, either pre-ordering or finding one post-launch. With everything going on in the world, and my privilege to be able to buy both of these consoles, I can't be upset at anybody. I certainly wish stock was more plentiful and that I could get an XSX, but it's amazing that they launched at all.

Godsfather

Jul 14, 2019
Alot of people saying this is totally normal for launches, I had no such experience with the switch, ps3, ps4, etc. The worst I remember previously was the ps2 launch. I managed to get a ps5 preorder but dozens of my irl friends did not, it seems like the ball was dropped with all hardware launches this year. And there's people on here scared to put their ps5 in rest mode cause of a glitch that could brick their new console, can't tell me this is a normal expectation.

shanew21

Nov 7, 2017
Blame Covid. Every gaming tech launch for the entire year has been a disaster. People are spending more money on gaming because they don't have anything else to do. Look at the switch. It's been out of stock almost the entire year. It's not even new.

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
Yes..Yes we can!!

I recently upgraded my PC (3080) and after that truama and lack of stock I was all ready to purchase the 'next gen' except it was sold out everywhere. I was unable to secure any kind of pre order on the PS5 and XBSX .... the fact the money is sat there waiting to go but instead I have to watch every youtube channel I am subscribed to talk about it, unbox it and what not just makes this lockdown double sucky....

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Your case for why this is a "disaster" amidst a global crisis is based on... mild issues with retailers/shipping?

Is this your first console launch?

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
Joined 2600 - and have always been able to purchase a console at launch. Yes this is a pandemic but that has led to a disastrous launch - Its not SONY or MS's fault but bottom line is covid strikes again.

I m just a little bitter...as an educator I can go a teach 30 students in a confined space from 30 different households, but cant visit my family or friends in any physical capacity. Depressing... a PS5 would certainly help to lift the mood but nope..that's off the menu too..

I digress... please continue.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
This entire year has been a struggle against supply chains. Starting with the C8 Vette, then into COVID era PPE and basic necessities, then into lockdown era where hobby items took a beating. Even random shit like buying discs for disc golf was a struggle. Now the tech side can't buy a 3080 to save my life or any of the new consoles. Expecting big navi launch to be more of the same.

Obviously pandemic played huge role in all of this. No need for people to take swipes about privilege. It's ok to feel frustrated and to vent about small things while still keeping the larger items in perspective: "How dare you get mad about x when there are starving children in Africa" and so on. This type of mentality is toxic. This is a gaming enthusiast forum ffs nobody here is immune to this line of thinking.