• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I largely don't give a shit, but I'm more inclined to check out a lesser known game if it's won an award. But I would say that of most pieces of media. It's not exclusive to games.

Fuck The Game Awards, though. Basically just E3, but in December.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't care. It's all fake and a facade and thus no awards actually hold any weight. I can't imagine anyone actively enjoying the shows either. My god, I'd rather have my toenails pulled out than watch those horror shows.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
It's cool when something I like gets recognized as great, but it also doesn't bother me too much if things I like less end up winning. It's all subjective and wrapped up so much in the financial investment of companies it is effectively meaningless. The same way I feel about the Golden Globes or Academy awards.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm always happy when games I've enjoyed (and the developers) get recognition and praise I think they deserve. In that sense I do care. But obviously every critic out there isn't going to share my taste or even play the same games that I've played that year. So it doesn't make much sense to get bothered about my favorite not winning EVERY award.

Hades is my GOTY, so I'm happy that it's doing so well. But it's of course not the only game I'd like to get recognized either.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
I actually don't care OP, but I also dislike it when Devs attach something to game awards and metacritic scores as well.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I care in the sense that I'll check out what games win with some publications I like. I don't care in the sense that I'll forget all about it in a month.

Like it felt like a big deal for Control to win GOTY with IGN, but in the end... not sure I thought about it once since (until Hades won and I remembered).

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
People are not a collective conscience. Some care but most honestly don't.

If X don't care and Y care, you're calling out X for caring using Y as an example :p

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
People are not a collective conscience. Some care but most honestly don't.

If X don't care and Y care, you're calling out X for caring using Y as an example :p

I'm more so calling out Z who claims they don't care while also spending hours whining when the game they wanted to win loses and then goes onto to state that: "Awards mean nothing" and then do the same thing again the following years.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
It's always happened but I think this year is kind of the pinnacle of, "I don't care, but I actually do care" attitude that a lot of people have.

When their game loses the critics award, those awards mean nothing, only the gamers vote matter...

Then if the gamers vote for something they don't like, then that no longer matters and only the critics awards actually matter.

People will spend months angrily fighting over this stuff all the while saying: "I don't actually care about this" or "these awards are worthless" only for the whole thing to start up again. For people who claim they do not care, spend a lot of them arguing about it.

So can people just be honest for once and actually just admit that they do actually care about game awards?

Edit: Oh, it should be clarified I'm not specifically talking about the TGA's, but any outlets awards they give out.

I don't even know who won 🤷‍♀️

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more so calling out Z who claims they don't care while also spending hours whining when the game they wanted to win loses and then goes onto to state that: "Awards mean nothing" and then do the same thing again the following years.
To be fair, those people still don't really care about the awards themselves. It's just fuel for their hollow brand of tribalism.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
People only care if games they like win.

To me the games nominated in awards ar rarely ones I'm interested in and often - likee film and music awards - I feel there's always a few nominees that come up because of who they are rather than quality

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

Z probably exists but i don't think 90% of people are lying when they say how they don't care.

This thread feels like you actually doubt there's someone that actually doesn't care about the awards, dunno.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
It's always happened but I think this year is kind of the pinnacle of, "I don't care, but I actually do care" attitude that a lot of people have.

When their game loses the critics award, those awards mean nothing, only the gamers vote matter...

Then if the gamers vote for something they don't like, then that no longer matters and only the critics awards actually matter.

People will spend months angrily fighting over this stuff all the while saying: "I don't actually care about this" or "these awards are worthless" only for the whole thing to start up again. For people who claim they do not care, spend a lot of them arguing about it.

So can people just be honest for once and actually just admit that they do actually care about game awards?

Edit: Oh, it should be clarified I'm not specifically talking about the TGA's, but any outlets awards they give out.

Nope, the majority of people don't care about The Game Awards. They just wanted to see the new Smash Bros fighter and the new game announcements.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
i couldn't care less, i don't know who won what from where or who. TGA is just a glorified marketing event.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, the majority of people don't care about The Game Awards. They just wanted to see the new Smash Bros fighter and the new game announcements.

At the end of my post:

In a way it's showing that the awards should not have been so generically named. I'm literally talking about any outlet that gives out awards.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland

Most awards are selected by majority of white male gamers and are based on their opinions on things they like. As a result, most awards are used to self-fellate, increase inequality and generate ammunition for console wars. But luckily there are also better awards, like Innovation In Accessibility, Games For Impact and Best Community Support etc. that try to promote creativity and good things in gaming. And I do care and promote those instead of some toxic GOTYs.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Only care about the top ones, DICE, BAFTA, GDC (and Easy Allies of course). I honestly find the VGA/The Game Awards a fun time. Rest of them are just interesting statistics. Stuff like who's the biggest winners, biggest looser, who almost tied, who got robbed etc. Always fun to look back at previous GOTY winners and just wonder "Why?" or "HOW?"
*stares at 2008 and 2014*

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I don't even know who won or was nominated for anything. I just checked some article with all the trailers the next morning.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
At the end of my post:

In a way it's showing that the awards should not have been so generically named. I'm literally talking about any outlet that gives out awards.

Yeah, but most people don't care for the awards for any game award event, they just want the new announcements.

Dec 2, 2017
The internet is the place where people will bludgeon other people who didn't like a game they did like with review scores. Of course they care about awards.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The internet is the place where people will bludgeon other people who didn't like a game they did like with review scores. Of course they care about awards.

Honestly if I can admit one thing is that I do think I should have reworded the title. Something more along the lines of: "Can we admit people who complain about game awards and then claim they don't matter, actually care about said awards?"

But hind sight is 20-20.

I'd consider getting a mod to change the title, but then that's basically 3 pages that would cause confusion for anyone just jumping in.

Edit: Screw it, had a mod edit it.

Last edited:

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Nope, don't care.

I know only 2 things about The Game Awards.
1. 'That bloke from Gametrailers' presents them.
2. Laura Bailey has gotten bored and snuck out of them in favour of playing D&D - Twice!

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I find it nice when a title that's something of an underdog gets recognition but otherwise awards are of little interest to me. Popular stuff gets more recognition that it is indeed popular like we already knew.

The best end of year lists tend to come from individuals who have interesting choices I may never have heard of, the kind that get buried in awards and aggregated lists.

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
Well its not like it personally affects my life very much. However this Forum is a place to debate these things..

i just like rooting for things like Hades over stuff like tLoU Part 2 since modern Naughty Games are to me everything wrong with modern AAA gaming.
Smaller team, lower budget but lovingly crafted from mechanics and presentation side game like Hades getting all this mainstream attention can only be good for the industry. And yes I know Hades isnt exactly the first Roguelite game out there but the way its put together is pretty refreshing and creative.

Last edited:

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I certainly do not give a shit about the glorified Game Trailers show that is TGA's but when smaller games like Hades get the added exposure they deserve from various outlets, its a good thing.

That aside, too many good games come out every year now so any list is going to be severely biased due to the persons native interest (like, DOOM isnt in any of my lists because I dont like FPS games)

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, don't care.

I know only 2 things about The Game Awards.
1. 'That bloke from Gametrailers' presents them.
2. Laura Bailey has gotten bored and snuck out of them in favour of playing D&D - Twice!
Laura finally won 1 this year, goddamn it would've been hilarious if she had to awkwardly accept it mid Critical Role.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I complain about TGA because I think there could actually be good, respectable awards in this industry, but the current format prioritizes commercials and trailers which delegitimizes the whole thing.

I don't care who wins each award but I guess you could say I care about the awards, just not in the intended way.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I dont really care, this time im somewhat more invested and happy because SG and Hades are up there and getting alot of love. Not really there for the usual AAA stuff.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Awards really don't matter though. Every site gives their own awards, so it makes no difference who wins best whatever, when the next site awards it to someone else.

It's just a little icon for marketing to put on the box or digital thumbnail to encourage more sales.

That doesn't mean people still can't give their thoughts on it. Now if someone's arguing about it, then yeah - they care.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We can admit it, but they never will. It's like the review scores thing. The people militantly against them feel that way because they really get under their skin.

Jun 17, 2018
This as well as any other entertainment awards are subjective. There will always be someone who is unhappy because they liked X game over Y game.

I honestly couldn't give a shit what games win at the awards because it rarely has an impact on what I play going forwards.

The rule of thumb is - play what interests you and if you enjoy it, fantastic. Don't worry about what other people like and their opinions. Life is too short for that kind of nonsense.

If I had only played the games in the top 10 of any awards I'd have been bored because I didn't really care for them!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yes, it's obvious that people care about awards when they complain so much lol

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
If people truly didn't care about something, they wouldn't enter the thread to post to begin with.

Coming in to say "I don't care" means you probably care to some degree.