• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will videogames push the boundaries of reality?

• Yes

Votes: 62 21.2%
  • No

Votes: 206 70.3%
  • With VR, yes.

Votes: 25 8.5%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
So, this video popped up in my feed

And it got me thinking about how videogames have the potential to look better than real life.

Of course, the real life video in this case is very low quality and only 30FPS, but the videogame pretty much looks better. I think that thanks to videogames rendering all on real time, they can look even better than real life. What do you think?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Nah. It looks really good don't get me wrong but there's a lot of detail that that camera is not capturing.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
What would better than real life even mean, we dont operate on texture size, resolution, polygons or fps.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
graphics on panels are reaching sublime levels and with HDR/RT will also help bridge that gap, But for me it loses it's appeal then and you hit a ceiling.

VR on the other hand can literally put you in the gaming world, Interacting with the objects etc. That for me will always be more appealing than realistic pancake visuals.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
What would better than real life even mean, we dont operate on texture size, resolution, polygons or fps.
Well technically cells are like little polygons. But videogames have an advantage, everything you see has been manually crafted, so you could make it so that there's always ideal beautiful conditions.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Nah. It looks really good don't get me wrong but there's a lot of detail that that camera is not capturing.
Basically. Nothing beats seeing with your own two eyes.
Well technically cells are like little polygons. But videogames have an advantage, everything you see has been manually crafted, so you could make it so that there's always ideal beautiful conditions.
I did consider this though, videogames can have the most beautiful city ever, because it would be impossible for that city to exist irl.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
It might eventually become indistinguishable from real life, with enough time

Better than real life?

Well...that might be up to personal artistic preferences...

Nec

The Fallen
Mar 12, 2019
Even CGI from big budget movies can't sometimes, imagine in real time. But give some more years and we will get closer and closer, we just need better high end consumer hardware to render in real time.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently you can have dreams that have more clarity and detail than 'real life'.

But for games I imagine we'd have to bypass the retina and jack the signal directly into our brains. So that's a soft no from me.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Better than real life?"

Step 1: Invent a strong form of the Total Perspective Vortex that is able to, accurately, model all parts of the Universe at all scales.

Step 2: Invent a nervegear/matrix-like device.

Step 3: manipulate variables like wavelengths of light that the eye can see, friction of light in air, etc to acquire maximum aesthetic value as measured by human physiological feedback responses.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
No, but your virtual camera can be better than your real world camera, in that sense it can come true. But then it's your eyes (or brain) that really compares these things and not cameras! Imagine you would be driving the car instead of judging the camera footage.

To be more precise, in every video game you are always watching through a camera, even in VR.
In real life you don't do that, but your comparison video is a comparison of 2 different camera sets (it's a video, duh), one is looking at reality and the other at a virtual world. You will never be able to look at that virtual world with your own eyes, there will always be a camera in between (Star Trek holodeck excluded). Not so much for the real world and I doubt your eyes have the same black level as that shitty onboard camera etc.

Last edited:

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Not when it comes to people and or biological characters.

Materials and machinery? yes.

I can see a game featuring realistic robots (think boston dynamics) being indistinguishable from real life pretty soon.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
When you're trying to make graphics look as accurate as possible, then there's no such thing as being better than real life. Anything different (including "better") would be inaccurate and stylized.

That said, you might like certain styles better, so you might say a cel-shaded game looks better than real life, for example.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
28368133.jpg

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Dunno if some people are deliberately ignoring the general idea to score those easy points or not (obviously computer graphics can't surpass real life on a technical level...). As some others have said, artistically video games can do a lot that can't really happen in reality and allow for complete artistic control. With ray tracing increasingly becoming a thing in real time, we're getting pretty close to real time graphics looking as realistic as they need to (imo), and it'll always have the benefit of complete artistic control. So in an artistic sense, I'm gonna say the potential is almost there to make just about any scene in real life better in a game world, subjectively of course.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
That camera depicting real life doesn't seem good to me. I'd be wary of using that as an example if it turns out to not be optimal.

Regardless that's something that seems so boring to me. Like yeah, we'll probably get there eventually, but... it's not something I want to play with.

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of games look more interesting than real life, but they'll never "surpass" it, because how can you get more real than real?

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Dunno if some people are deliberately ignoring the general idea to score those easy points or not (obviously computer graphics can't surpass real life on a technical level...). As some others have said, artistically video games can do a lot that can't really happen in reality and allow for complete artistic control. With ray tracing increasingly becoming a thing in real time, we're getting pretty close to real time graphics looking as realistic as they need to (imo), and it'll always have the benefit of complete artistic control. So in an artistic sense, I'm gonna say the potential is almost there to make just about any scene in real life better in a game world, subjectively of course.
This, and the fact that images on a 2D plane are of course easier to process for the brain, can be slowed down, zoomed in, etc. allowing to enjoy events in a different way than reality. But actual perfect photorealism is probably a long way to go for games, since even movies never really escape the uncanny valley with "not real time" rendering.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
games can reach a part of reality we cannot see, going towards the Plank length or beyond our event horizon, and in such surpass life on Earth.

As for photorealistic... well... not really yet but it's getting there, another 30 years and that should be it.
9klson2e.jpg