• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
When I say that, I mean in fully playable form and not just a real-time cinematic. I also don't mean the SNES graphics, but rather the renders they made before they were converted to something SNES friendly. Also, I'm factoring in the advances they made to the rendering as the series progressed. Like in the first game, the fur was just a normal mapped texture, but from DKC2 - 3, the fur had individual hairs. Yes, I'm aware that these models are not polygons, but that's why I think this is an interesting question to ask.

rXEi5uh.jpg

vgBQxo4.jpg

NjiCeIM.jpg

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
1 and 2 look perfectly doable. 3 is a bit tricky due to the water, but ultimately could be done.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Close, but not faithfully, no. Those renders used nurbs instead of polygons, so you're never going to be able to get something that looks this perfectly round across the board in real-time.

Edit: also we'd need real-time ray tracing of that quality for this level of lighting and shadow detail and precision. We're going to get closer next-gen, but not quite there yet either.

Cuboid 64

Oct 28, 2017
I remember seeing someone recreate that first picture in Dreams at least. It'd be really cool to see a game actually try this look/style. I LOVE old early 90's CG, even with its faults.

jalkerway

Oct 27, 2017

If you mean making the same game but in real time graphics, I'd say pretty close and with more effort probably damn near exact.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
When I say that, I mean in fully playable form and not just a real-time cinematic. I also don't mean the SNES graphics, but rather the renders they made before they were converted to something SNES friendly. Also, I'm factoring in the advances they made to the rendering as the series progressed. Like in the first game, the fur was just a normal mapped texture, but from DKC2 - 3, the fur had individual hairs. Yes, I'm aware that these models are not polygons, but that's why I think this is an interesting question to ask.

rXEi5uh.jpg

vgBQxo4.jpg

NjiCeIM.jpg

How did they manage to make high resolution pictures like that back in 1994? :O

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I mean, Banjo-Kazooie's design in Smash more or less look just like the renders they made 20 years back so it's not impossible.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Gnawty Beaver has seen some shit

Anyway more gloriously outdated renders for all

R0mxVuG.jpg

FSldDZY.png

Though I did think the thread title was leaning more towards this stuff
latest

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I feel like the challenge in doing this would be mostly about matching the peculiarities of the rendering techniques used back in the day.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
:O

That's insane. Shocked how anyone could do anything on them given those constraints.

Keep in mind that's when they were modeling those shots, they could interact with them in real time using only the wireframes and quickly generating low-quality versions to get an idea of what they were doing. Then they'd send them to the render machine for hours and pray it turned out as good as they imagined.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I'd think a baked lighting solution would put it really close with today's technology. Some stuff is way better now, it's perhaps the round edges and hard shadows that are still a problem.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That's exactly what I proposed this question.

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible to create something very similar. Obviously you're not going to be able to match the smoothness/roundedness perfectly, and the lighting would have to be carefully tailored in each scene, but otherwise it seems reasonable to me.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the challenge in doing this would be mostly about matching the peculiarities of the rendering techniques used back in the day.

No kidding! Real-time graphics were never meant to try and reproduce this specific style and have even surpassed it in many different respects.

It's also interesting to consider that real-time graphics you see in games today use copious amounts of Level of Detail (LOD) to render less polys the further away something is from the camera, lowering its detail. Those kinds of renders didn't have to even consider such limitations!

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Like most 90s CG renders, poly count, IQ, and reflection quality is still untouchable real time, but we can make things look a whole lot better as a whole.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Same as with Toy Story 1. No, we can't really match the perfectly rounded surfaces or ray-tracing in real time, but we have much better tools and techniques that allow us to do things that look so much better in every other regard, while getting close enough on the curves and lighting, to more than make up for it overall

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Like most 90s CG renders, poly count, IQ, and reflection quality is still untouchable real time, but we can make things look a whole lot better as a whole.
These weren't movie quality renders, I mean you can look them right in the OP for the final product.

HFRU5sL.png

Or the above wireframes of the time. Rare didn't have a server farm producing this stuff, just a couple high end work stations. Absolutely nothing done couldn't be replicated and done better in real time today.

Same as with Toy Story 1. No, we can't really match the perfectly rounded surfaces or ray-tracing in real time, but we have much better tools and techniques that allow us to do things that look so much better in every other regard, while getting close enough on the curves and lighting, to more than make up for it overall

Toy Story was done with a huge render farm. DKC games were done on a couple workstations. Nothing they were doing is outside of today's reach.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even Toy Story 1 looks pretty bad today. Except perhaps for lighting accuracy, we can easily exceed it today (look at Kingdom Hears)

Jan 15, 2019
That mid-90's CG stuff has aged poorly. Literally everything looks like it's made of either rubber or plastic. I think it worked at the time because it was visually unprecedented. Other stuff from the early-mid 90's more commonly looked like the box art below, so any CG stuff was eye-catching.

page1-341px-Castlevania_Bloodlines_MD_US_Manual.pdf.jpg

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Old-school DKC art style is amazing, people who shit on it are going to hell.