• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
No way. PS4 Pro is last gen. Xbox series S plays all last gen Xbox titles, plus the next 5 years or so of games. PS4 Pro will probably get new games the next year and a half at best but no new exclusives which is what people tend to buy a PS for.

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
I think this will be there tactic. There are still plenty of casuals that just care about entry into games like FIFA and Fortnite. Also every PS4 player that buys in now is a potential PS5 (or PlayStation services) buyer in a few years, better to give them an option to buy into the ecosystem now than leave them for a rival.

Also who knows, maybe soon PS Now will even still let them play some PS5 titles 🤷‍♂️

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
The ps4 pro? No. It is a niche mid gen refresh. I don't see Sony putting money behind it to try to compete with the xss. The pro is already so old now that it couldn't compete anyway. People have moved on

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
PS4 is Sony's low range console, presumably with a Super Slim model and price drop coming soon-ish.

The Pro is redundant and will probably be discontinued because there isn't much need for a console that's stuck in between the PS4 and PS5.
I disagree, if they keep PS4 around the Pro will still be there too for PSVR and enhanced PS4 games.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I don't think so. PS4 Slim is the one they must continue to sell during the transition year. Generation transition are progressive across many years, it's not like the 120M gamers will upgrade to PS5 on day one, since only about 10% of the sales are launch year. Gamers wait until there are enough games worth upgrading.

The XSS will provide MS with a serious advantage at launch (the lowest price) until price drops bring them too close to matter over other factors. The higher clock of PS5 will become a comfortable base clock after the next silicon node shrink.

Developers seem to want two things that are contradictory:

First, devs want gamers to upgrade to next gen quickly so that they can start designing their games with only the next-gen console as the base performance target instead of cross gen. They want to ditch that jaguar, and they want a new lighting model that cannot work on last gen. Supporting last gen is a burden.

Second, they want the base performance target to be good enough that it won't cripple their vision for the next 7-8 years. That depends on specific games, and it depends how RT algorithms evolve. From what I understand, there are algorithms that don't scale linearly with pixel count agaist either ALU power or memory bandwidth and amount. BVH being one for RTRT.

These are contradictory, the higher the minimum performance target, the higher the minimum price, the slower the adoption rate. Sony cannot compete against XSS without crippling the singular performance target of PS5. Cerny was candid about how they designed PS4 and PS5 based on developers inputs, and how that was the biggest failure of the PS3 which they decided to never repeat. So making a low performance SKU with mandatory support would have jeoparized that goal. So would a 599 target by slowing adoption to a crawl.

MS decided that base performance target will be 4TF with 7.5GB available for the next 7-8 years. Sony decided that target will be 10TF and 14GB. Very different SSD performance target too.

Both approaches are a gamble.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ivanovic

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So after last night, I think it's pretty obvious that this is exactly their plan. Expect a PS4 Pro price cut coming very soon.

Theyve got 114m PS4s out there with close to 50m PSplus owners that generate them billions every year. It would be insane to completely leave that base and that money by abandoning them. This is not like previous generations where you could just completely abandon the old users and quickly move on. It's all about the eco system and the money they generate.

Just like Xbox, Sony doesn't care if you own a PS4 or PS5, as long as you're locked into their eco system and paying into it. Keeping them there and preventing them from moving to the Xbox ecosystem is paramount, especially with a cheap Series S available.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, that's the point of the post.... you literally said "but don't see the point of Pro being on the market anymore."
That's one BIG reason...

But my post is from a while ago? And at that point we assumed Ghost of Tsushima was the last PS4 exclusives.

Anyway regardless, still doesn't make much sense. Either sell the base PS4 for cheap, and try to make as many people move to PS5. Don't see where the Pro fits in here.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
But my post is from a while ago? And at that point we assumed Ghost of Tsushima was the last PS4 exclusives.

Anyway regardless, still doesn't make much sense. Either sell the base PS4 for cheap, and try to make as many people move to PS5. Don't see where the Pro fits in here.
Sorry I thought your post was new, my bad ^^

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Hardly.
"Hey please buy this old box which won't get any new games after a couple of years vs the XSS which will play all non exclusive games coming out for the next gen"

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
They can try anything, for sure, why wouldn't they try and shift more legacy hardware?

However - For anyone interested in the performance of their games, I predict the performance delta will become very clear and that Series S leaves the PS4 Pro well behind

Only a couple of months and Digital Foundry and others will demonstrate this.

But will Sony ask you to buy their hardware because they say it's awesome? Of course.