• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Now I know one is next gen and the other is current gen, but a few things.....

The Series S is supposedly aimed at price conscious casual consumers who only play Madden, COD, FIFA, and other generic multiplatform games. All these games will be coming to the PS4 for at least the next two years and even more, and if Sony can cut the price of the Pro to at least $249 or even less, bundled with Spider-Man and FIFA this holiday, its cheap vast library, who's to say it won't be be attractive to these price conscious consumers who might have otherwise picked up a Series S.

For Sony as well, these new PS4 owners are potential future PS5 owners instead of current Xbox owners. What does Era think?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, specially given how Sony is way more focused on jumping to next gen.

PS4 will continue to sell ok though.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think they're too close to saturation to be a legitimate threat on that front. They have sold so, sooo many of the bloody things.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Series S is way more capable than a PS4 Pro. This won't really work. Series S is still next gen, PS4 Pro is not.

OP
OP
Ivanovic

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They want people to move to next gen asap so this would be a bad idea.
Not really, specially given how Sony is way more focused on jumping to next gen.

PS4 will continue to sell ok though.
The PS5 is going to be around for at least 7yrs so I don't see why they can't move people quickly to next gen while also attracting people who didn't have a PS4 with this cheap price. And also like I said, any new PS4 owner is possibly a Series S owner they've stolen and a future PS5 owner.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be shocked if Pro is on its way out. Why wouldn't they want to push Slim as the entry level product when it's cheaper to produce, therefore sell, and still runs games at an acceptable level? Expecting a substantial price cut for that.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I think they'll set the PS5 as a high-end console and use thier first party as the incentive to upgrade, not price. A Spiderman bundled PS5 will do well.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
PS4 is Sony's low range console, presumably with a Super Slim model and price drop coming soon-ish.

The Pro is redundant and will probably be discontinued because there isn't much need for a console that's stuck in between the PS4 and PS5.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
They're definitely gonna carry on selling a lot of PS4s. I was in a game store yesterday and saw a kid excitedly trying to explain to his Mum the difference between the Pro and the slim and why he definitely needed a Pro.

But for people looking for a next gen console? No, I don't think so. It'll be positioned in the same realm as the Xbox One S going forward. Will still sell plenty of units but it'll be to very price conscious consumers who don't wanna spend the hundreds of dollars on the new console and just want a cheaper PlayStation to play FIFA/COD etc.

Also agree with those who speculate that the Pro will be discontinued. I think they'll continue to concentrate on the cheap Slim for Black Friday/Holidays and beyond.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 is going to be around for at least 7yrs so I don't see why they can't move people quickly to next gen while also attracting people who didn't have a PS4 with this cheap price. And also like I said, any new PS4 owner is possibly a Series S owner they've stolen and a future PS5 owner.
Regular (probably revised slim) PS4 will continue to exist, and it will probably go down in price, but I think Sony is more eager to get people into the PS5 than even giving the option for a middle ground. I'm not that sure about the PS4 Pro.

MS wants people on Gamepass, they don't care if they're playing on an Xbox One, a Series S or a Series X, their main objective is people subscribing to that. The Series S only exist to be a super cheap entry point for it. Sony wants people to buy hardware, if its the one newer and more expensive the better.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
The PS4pro is a completely different product.
There will be no big games any more for the pro in 8 months.

I'm sure they will stop producing the PS4 line really fast.
You will see some bundles with FIFA2021 and the like, and then it will be gone.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Maybe discount the regular PS4.. but don't see the point of Pro being on the market anymore.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Sony is going to rely on cheap regular PS4s bundled with popular titles instead (eg. COD, FIFA etc).

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have opinions that could be construed as being a Sony fanboy, but even I would recommend a Series S over a PS4 Pro.

Jan 13, 2020
Not at all. The Series S is a generation ahead, and people know that.

However, a dirt cheap regular PS4 will sell very well.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not really but it should absolutely get a price cut.

PS4 - $199
PS4 Pro - $299 (discontinued after this holiday)
PS5 All Digital - $399
PS5 - $499

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
That was the PS2, which was a ridiculous leggy monster, combined with the insane cost of a launch PS3. If they find themselves in a similar situation, they've failed.
I don't think the PS4 will be phased out as quickly as the PS3. I think it still has the capacity to sell and be profitable for at least 2 more years. PS4 pro I see being phased out

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox one X remains the competitor of the Pro. I'd expect the X to get a price cut as well

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
I'm all for cheap price. But the console can't be positioned against Series S since it will be missing out on next gen games and features like SSD, Dolby,4k movie etc.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Sonys strategy seems to be to move on really quick, as fast as possible.

So I kinda doubt it. It will probably get a pricecut to sell through stock though.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Now I know one is next gen and the other is current gen, but a few things.....

The Series S is supposedly aimed at price conscious casual consumers who only play Madden, COD, FIFA, and other generic multiplatform games. All these games will be coming to the PS4 for at least the next two years and even more, and if Sony can cut the price of the Pro to at least $249 or even less, bundled with Spider-Man and FIFA this holiday, its cheap vast library, who's to say it won't be be attractive to these price conscious consumers who might have otherwise picked up a Series S.

For Sony as well, these new PS4 owners are potential future PS5 owners instead of current Xbox owners. What does Era think?
Errr? No.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Sony believes in generations, remember? (but that's actually just marketing lol). They will be 100% be doing this. But they'll be pushing PS4, not Pro. And maybe not in the big TV ads and marketing, but certainly hard in aggressive PS4 sales.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox one X remains the competitor of the Pro. I'd expect the X to get a price cut as well

The One X has been discontinued.

It's just One S, Series S and Series X now.

Expecting a pretty significant One S price cut soon (it's the same RRP as the Series S at the moment). Needs to be the $99 Black Friday deal again.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, they need to keep showing TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima and FF7R in commercials. I just played a section of TLOU2 last night and had to remind myself this wasn't next gen yet.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
No, but I do think they could position the PS4 as the "cheap" entry point option that plays FIFA, Call of Duty, and many others. Coronavirus may have upset their plans, but I'm a little surprised they don't have a PS4 Super Slim ready to go for Xmas.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
No, Series S is considerably more powerful. The could however lower the price, if they BOM and other costs are lower. Sony won't take a loss on the Pro.

If I would work for Sony, I try to position the PS4 as the entry model and just advertise the exclusive games and low price.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, the Pro is toast, having a middle ground console on the market that is being advertised as 4K (despite barely anything being native) will just cause uninformed customers to wonder why their new one is worth buying instead. They'll clear stock, drop the slim to 199 and use that to cover off the low end of the market, although I can see Microsoft reacting hard and dropping the S to 149 to cover that off as well.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
The Pro will disappear soon enough. They will continue to sell the Slim going forward. Maybe even replace it with a "Super Slim".

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
They can and they will, at least with the base PS4. They have this attitude of going foward with their 1st party studios, but they know that, when a new generation is born, the current generation becomes more accessible for people all over the world. They even said that PS4 will be the money maker... All they need is a price cut and the money will flow.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
They need to drop the price of one of the PS4 models for sure. If the base one is the one that is kept rather than the Pro, they certainly need to drop the price on that. If someone goes into a shop and sees a 6 year old console on the shelf for the same price as its brand new, next gen competition, surely they're gonna pick the newer one, unless of course they want to pick up a load of cheap games with the PS4, too.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I just think it's absolutely wild that after months of fever pitch Xbox concern trolling about "little Timmy" and "holding back next gen," this take comes out to say that Sony should be telling consumers this holiday season to buy a PS4.

But anyway,
Now I know one is next gen and the other is current gen,

All that needs to be said, really.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Clearly not Sony's plan, otherwise the likes of Sackboy would be coming to PS4.

They're being ruthless in trying to convince people to upgrade ASAP.