• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I never been into the Souls games. But Demon's Souls looks pretty incredible. The latest footage shows a lot of corridors and then what seems like a lot of Boss fights. Since I never played the original or any of the Soul's games, is there any exploring or open areas to explore. I am not expecting Skyrim levels of open areas, but the latest footage showed a lot of narrow passages (granted incredible looking) and am just wondering how open some of the levels are and is there any exploring to find hidden items?

I only have Sackboy and the pack-in Astrobot for games for the PS5 and would like one more game to break in my new System and not really into Spiderman. I have a $300 Gift Card for Best Buy and am putting in my pre-order for games and accessories in the next few days and would love some feedback on those that have played DS and can explain a bit more about the game and the game loop etc.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
It's not an open world game. Think about old NES and SNES games where you're running through levels from start to finish with a boss at the end.

The original was a great game and I'm hyped for this remake, but I also know exactly what to expect. There are hidden items and routes, but there's a reason why people refer to locations as 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, etc.

So to sell you on it...I think you're already sold on it if it looks interesting. I'd say play any of the other Souls(like) games. However if you are, as you say, aren't into the Souls games, I don't think Demon's is gonna convince you otherwise. But there is a chance that you'll like Demon's and it'll make you want to revisit the other games.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're narrow pathways. But there are a TON of secrets in them.

It's really hard to convey just how good the game is with clips. Exploration is amazing in the game, despite the narrow environments. Honestly, it's one of the best games ever made. Just go for it. I can't imagine someone not being into it.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
It's a Souls game, you either really like these games or you don't. Enjoyed Bloodborne or Dark Souls? You'll love it; if you didn't it's arguably the worst of the series aside from arguably Dark Souls II.

it's a Sony first party game With BP so I'd honestly say save your 70 bucks until it's 20 bucks which will be within a year. The game is like 15-25 hours long.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
The best comparison I can make is the maps are like Metroid maps, in that they have a labyrinthine structure that loops back on itself sometimes and has lots of secret nooks and crannies.

This is less true of Demon's Souls vs. other Souls games, since Demon's doesn't have a single interconnected map, but it's still kinda valid. Demon's is more about the "path to the next boss" but there are plenty of side paths to go down.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The best way to describe Demon's Souls as a game world is that it has a hub world in the center with five completely distinct "spokes" extending out from it in a semi-linear path until you reach the final boss of that spoke. Each spoke is its own biome, with its own enemies, bosses and themee.

There's no openness to it at all, just alternate and hidden paths and shortcuts a la your standard Dark Souls game. If you're expecting a full RPG, that's not really what it is. It's a gameplay-focused game above all.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I love the shit out of Demon's Souls, but it's not quite exploration heavy in the way you describe.

Have you considered Assassin's Creed?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know this is probably not what you wanted, but you could just watch or read some reviews of the old game, and then factor in massively improved visuals, DualSense feedback, 3D audio, improved camera, animations and so on on top.

Demon's Souls - Metacritic

OP
OP
Hawk269

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for all the replies thus far. How long of a game is it? I know it is not going to be open world, but being able to find different paths and secrets sounds good to me.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
It's not 'very linear'. Each level is an exercise in exploration. It's not open world, no, but you'll be satisfyingly exploring every corner looking for secrets, new paths, items. It's not a hallway game.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all the replies thus far. How long of a game is it? I know it is not going to be open world, but being able to find different paths and secrets sounds good to me.

They're not long games. I'd say about 30 hours for a first playthrough. But subsequent playthroughs will be drastically shorter as you'll know how to navigate areas.

Sort of like how you can beat Sekiro in 2 hours without speedrunning.

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, its a fun game very atmospheric but (my opinion on this) not a whole lot of other choices for launch titles so you might as well. lol

OP
OP
Hawk269

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
They're not long games. I'd say about 30 hours for a first playthrough. But subsequent playthroughs will be drastically shorter as you'll know how to navigate areas.

Sort of like how you can beat Sekiro in 2 hours without speedrunning.
30 hours? WOW. Based on how people explained the game I was expecting 10 hours tops. But 30 hours is pretty good length for a game imho. Is that due to difficulty or are the 5 stages/environments massive?

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm those reviews... I haven't watched them but IIRC the game wasn't done any favors by journalists back in the day.

30 hours? WOW. Based on how people explained the game I was expecting 10 hours tops. But 30 hours is pretty good length for a game imho. Is that due to difficulty or are the 5 stages/environments massive?

Difficulty coming from figuring out a level and some bosses. Some bosses are straight up walls while others are more thematic. As someone said earlier, you're going to be spending your first playthrough trying to safely navigate areas and learning things.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
So here's my Demons Souls story:

I bought Demons Souls after watching Vinnie play it on Giantbomb. Everybody else at GB was like "haha, what garbage, perpetual dying machine, lolz!" but I'm like Vinnie where I just like the challenge of something that seems to be genuinely impenetrable.

Or, at least I thought I was. I popped it in, died it pretty short order to the training boss, then spent like an hour just trying get across a damned bridge littered with a couple of reanimated corpses.

And then I said 'fuck this' and put it back in the case and on the shelf.

A few months later, I was looking for something to play, I saw the DeS case, and I was like, "Hey, I have the memory of a goldfish, let's try Demons Souls again!"

I popped it in, died it pretty short order to the training boss, then spent like an hour just trying get across a damned bridge littered with a couple of reanimated corpses.

Like 6 months later, I happened across some dude on Youtube's Demons Souls playthru. I liked his voice, and I was kind of enthralled at just how much he didn't suck. I watched like 2 hours of him playing, then I was like "Hey I think I can do this now!"

I popped it in, died it pretty short order to the training boss, then spent like...20 minutes getting across the bridge.

Something just clicked with me, some Zen moment where even though I still sucked, I was doing it! I was killing shit, and I was collecting souls, and like 45 hours later, I beat the game.

I've beaten it 5 more times since then. I still suck, but I love it anyway, and I get it finally.

It's the only Souls game I've ever beaten, and I'm stupidly hyped to jump back into the remaster. If you can get over the hump that you have to ever be great or overpowered at the game, if you can dial back and take it easy, just let the game flow around you while you manage your stamina and hit when the time is right, it can be an amazing experience.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
People mention linearity. Is there any back tracking? Like can you go back to areas by using bonfires to travel or is it more of a full steam ahead game with no looking back?

OP
OP
Hawk269

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
If the trailers and years of history don't do it, I sure as hell cant for you.
As I posted in my original post, I never really played any of the Soul's games and thus never really looked into them. The only trailers I have seen are the ones for the Remake of the game. Currently watching a review of the game. But a lot of replies has me really interested in it.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The castlevania of the modern era I guess.

More RPG focused (in terms of stats and gear progression), lots of environmental exploration, basic traversal options (walk, run, climb ladders, fall off ledges), simple combat mechanics.

OP
OP
Hawk269

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Probably for the same reason as those who post "Who?" in threads about celebrities even though it's a google search away.
So instead of just not replying you have to be like everyone else and post stuff that has no constructive input to the thread? Got it!

While google could send me to reviews...as I posted I rather get people input that are not paid to write reviews...I feel I get more honest input from people in the forum. I already got a lot of great input, even from fans of the game being upfront of the faults of the game but still providing good information for someone who has never played this game or any of the Soul's games.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So instead of just not replying you have to be like everyone else and post stuff that has no constructive input to the thread? Got it!

While google could send me to reviews...as I posted I rather get people input that are not paid to write reviews...I feel I get more honest input from people in the forum. I already got a lot of great input, even from fans of the game being upfront of the faults of the game but still providing good information for someone who has never played this game or any of the Soul's games.

I think you misinterpreted my post. I wasn't saying you need to go to Google, I'm saying people who post in a celebrity thread "Who?" need to go to Google.

OP
OP
Hawk269

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Just want to thank those that replied with feedback. I already got a good sense of the game and how it works from the posts above and really appreciate the feedback. One of the reasons I like posting stuff like this in forums is to get opinions of people that have played games like these and get that input. A review can only tell me so much about a game and I really don't go by most reviews since I don't feel they represent and every day gamer like most of you that post here.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
People mention linearity. Is there any back tracking? Like can you go back to areas by using bonfires to travel or is it more of a full steam ahead game with no looking back?

For Demon's Souls, you have a hub area where you can select which zone you want to go in and which part of said zone you wish to play.

You won't be using bonfires to teleport through the areas since you have the Nexus (the hub).

There is reason to go back to previously traversed stages. Some NPC questlines will require you to do this. Also you might want to farm items in certain stages.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017

Being that it's extremely hard, it can be very, very long. If you're not a Souls vet expect to dump at least 40 or 50 hours into it before finishing

I think the game is a masterpiece. People talk about the ambience and challenge, but what makes these games so amazing is the feedback you get from melee combat. It's the best there is, bar none

The Dark Soul

Jan 2, 2020
México
Something just clicked with me.

I love how this exact same sentence always repeats when someone is explaining their story with these games.

These games really have that "click" moment on everyone's brain, when you don't understand anything and do nothing but die. But then something magical happens out of nowhere and everything makes sense and you start to do real progress lol.

OP
OP
Hawk269

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
So here's my Demons Souls story:

I bought Demons Souls after watching Vinnie play it on Giantbomb. Everybody else at GB was like "haha, what garbage, perpetual dying machine, lolz!" but I'm like Vinnie where I just like the challenge of something that seems to be genuinely impenetrable.

Or, at least I thought I was. I popped it in, died it pretty short order to the training boss, then spent like an hour just trying get across a damned bridge littered with a couple of reanimated corpses.

A few months later, I was looking for something to play, I saw the DeS case, and I was like, "Hey, I have the memory of a goldfish, let's try Demons Souls again!"

I popped it in, died it pretty short order to the training boss, then spent like an hour just trying get across a damned bridge littered with a couple of reanimated corpses.

Like 6 months later, I happened across some dude on Youtube's Demons Souls playthru. I liked his voice, and I was kind of enthralled at just how much he didn't suck. I watched like 2 hours of him playing, then I was like "Hey I think I can do this now!"

I popped it in, died it pretty short order to the training boss, then spent like...20 minutes getting across the bridge.

Something just clicked with me, some Zen moment where even though I still sucked, I was doing it! I was killing shit, and I was collecting souls, and like 45 hours later, I beat the game.

I've beaten it 5 more times since then. I still suck, but I love it anyway, and I get it finally.

It's the only Souls game I've ever beaten, and I'm stupidly hyped to jump back into the remaster. If you can get over the hump that you have to ever be great or overpowered at the game, if you can dial back and take it easy, just let the game flow around you while you manage your stamina and hit when the time is right, it can be an amazing experience.
Thanks for this. Just what I was looking for. I don't mind hard games....all my friends were shocked that I beat Ninja Gaiden on the OG Xbox and amongst my friends I kind of suck the big one when it comes to challenging games, but none of them were able to beat NG back in the day except for me...so a challenging game is something I really enjoy. Thank you again!

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
For Demon's Souls, you have a hub area where you can select which zone you want to go in and which part of said zone you wish to play.

You won't be using bonfires to teleport through the areas since you have the Nexus (the hub).

There is reason to go back to previously traversed stages. Some NPC questlines will require you to do this. Also you might want to farm items in certain stages.

Sounds great. I look forward to playing it whenever I can get my hands on a PS5.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
I love how this exact same sentence always repeats when someone is explaining their story with these games.

These games really have that "click" moment on everyone's brain, when you don't understand anything and do nothing but die. But then something magical happens out of nowhere and everything makes sense and you start to do real progress lol.

The funny thing is that 'click' will make you better at playing the entire series of Soulslike games + other games in general. Souls taught me how to be patient af.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I really will never understand the appeal of dying over and over again.

Ideally you don't die over and over again.

But in general it really isn't all that much different than any other action game. The main different is there is progress on the line if you lose, but that isn't even on par with something like a rogue-like game.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
It's the most linear of all souls games, at the same time it has tons of secrets. Great atmosphere and intricate level design make it super fun to explore.

I would say it's around 30-40 hours for the first run if you go in blind. It has variety of builds you can play, with high replay value.

IMO, it has the best lore and atmosphere in the series, that alone make it worth to experience the game. One warning though, it's obscure and hard, would take a little while to learn the game.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
I really will never understand the appeal of dying over and over again.

I was thinking about this because when I talk about the series, folks mention something like this.

I think it has to do with the idea that I never feel like I die from nonsense in the games, so I feel compelled to try again. So I run back to the boss. By dying a lot, you learn levels quite well when you're running back. Then you're getting to the boss quicker. The enemies in the way become trivial for the most part (keywords: most part). Also you're progressing on a boss too.

Then eventually you kill the boss, you get their soul, and the words DEMON SLAIN or whatever pops up. You feel like a god. You take that soul and make a dope weapon then you do it again.

I think there's a difference in getting rocked in a fucking hard game like Ninja Gaiden Black and a Souls game. In NGB, you have to be Neo and you eventually learn how to play like that. But in Souls games, they're pretty damn methodical to where patience is the only thing that separates someone who gets frustrated and someone who gets to the end credits.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
As I posted in my original post, I never really played any of the Soul's games and thus never really looked into them. The only trailers I have seen are the ones for the Remake of the game. Currently watching a review of the game. But a lot of replies has me really interested in it.
One thing I will say for sure is that Demon's and Bloodborne are the easiest Souls games to pick up if you don't have any experience with the franchise

I'm not huge into Souls games and have had trouble in the past with Dark Souls. Demon's mechanics are a little bit less refined and easier to grasp (imo), and Bloodborne is smooth and polished to where you're not really fighting that "clunky" feeling Souls games have

If you can find one of the old games for cheap on a console you already have I would suggest trying it before dropping $70 on the new Demon's game, but it's pretty enjoyable and if you approach it with an open mind you will definitely have fun