• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Whowasphone

Sep 21, 2019
Outside of indie games, this is a tall order.

One of my go-to recs for wlw content is the indie visual novel Hearts of the Woods. The story is pretty good minus pacing issues, and it's a linear aka kinetic VN so there are only two or so decisions to make which determine whether you get the true ending or a bad one. There is some tragedy and drama but it embraces its fairy tale setting. :)

This is absolutely worth it, a Lil on the short side but this is great op, very unique, uplifting and well written. Personally found it better than kindred spirits

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Does indies being made by one person make them more susceptible to having LGBT elements as opposed to a team where some members may oppose it?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
VX2tHFa.png
I didn't perceive Sayonara to have any LGBTQ content, but it's absolutely worth playing either way.

As for the topic at hand, I need to get back to DQ11. Sylvando is a beautiful human being.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's never explicitly stated in game (though supported by all the subtext & a developer interview later) that Tales of Zestiria's Sorey and Mikleo are basically soulmates. While it's a JRPG with the occasional Serious Moment, it's a pretty lighthearted adventure, with loads of interactions between the two.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Night in the Woods-While it deals with some heavy stuff it has a good number of LGBTQ characters and a lot of laughs

Sayonara Wild Hearts-Just a joyous game from beginning to end
Night in the Woods. My avatar says hello. I'll just paste my review from steam right here.

All that aside, it has a LGBT characters and portrays them realistically. I love this game forever.
Came here to say Night in the Woods too. It's one of my favorite video games and has some really fun and hilarious moments. Stan Mae.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
I'm thrilled that there's some major titles starring LGBT leads in recent years - from Life is Strange to Gone Home to The Last of Us Part II - but one thing that I and my roommate are looking for are some more, well, upbeat games with prominent LGBT characters. A LOT of the games that have or explore LGBT themes are viewed through a lens of tragedy, trauma, suffering, and other negative emotions.

We're not looking for that. We're trying to find some games that put a big smile on your face and have major (preferably playable) LGBT+ characters. This was partially because we've been enjoying the very camp and campy Dragon Quest XI and enjoying how much Sylvando brings to the table, while the cartoon-y vibe of the series helps make him even more endearing.
SatisfiedUncomfortableIraniangroundjay-size_restricted.gif

While there are quite a few games I can think of in recent memory that had some strong queer characters, even a game like Dragon Age: Inquisition or most Mass Effect titles are still driven by war, death, violence, and tragic sacrifices.

So we're struggling to think of something as bright, whimsical, and charming as some of the more overtly upbeat games we typically play, more akin to the colorful styles of a Sonic, Mario, Spyro, or Pokemon adventure, or that at least maintain a consistent joyous tone.

Basically, we're trying to discover more games with happy queer characters in feel-good adventures.

I'm sure I'm not the only one curious to discover more options, so many thanks in advance!
Sylvando is just great. I wa afraid at first, by the trailers it looked like a stereotype. Thanfully, it was not the case. My favorite character of the game, no doubt.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, if we could only get a Honey Bee Inn simulator featuring Andrea from FF7 Remake...

Also dittoing Sayonara Wild Hearts and Night in the Woods. Havn't beat the later, but pretty deep into it. Had a "oh they are a couple!" but I also could not tell what gender they were thanks to being animals haha. Also I listen to random songs from the SWH ost daily. Thing has some fire tracks.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
HOW ?
Like did you find the protagonist to be a boy even if this

grovZIX.png

is the first narration of the game.. like before the title screen even appears ?
I'm not sure what you're saying, or what you think I'm saying. I always saw the protagonist as a girl. It even says she's a girl at the start of the game. She just has short hair until she grows it out at the end.

Where did I ever say the protagonist is a boy?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm not sure what you're saying, or what you think I'm saying. I always saw the protagonist as a girl. It even says she's a girl at the start of the game. She just has short hair until she grows it out at the end.

And then you saw

NDELAG3.gif

and were like "yes the hearbroken girl is kissing those girls

....because they are good friends" ?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
And then you saw

NDELAG3.gif

and were like "yes the hearbroken girl is kissing her friends

....because they are good friends" ?
I never brought up that scene, but since you're asking, I never interpreted those as former lovers. They represent stages of grief she is overcoming, emotions that were personified as various adversaries throughout the game (the wolf gang, etc). She transforms into each as she reconciles her feelings, conquering her hurt and healing. It's a beautiful scene.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
That's a kiss on the cheek. It could mean nothing or it could mean everything.
She's kissing embodiments of grief and taking back control of her life. That's why she is depicted transforming into each character as she kisses them.

Those characters are each a form of herself, and don't exist outside of herself. They are her worst self, hollowed out by heartbreak or living in the past.

In other words: she is learning to be kind to herself again after a dark period of self-loathing. To put it yet another way: She is learning to love herself again.

She undertook a journey of introspection and emerged stronger, depicted at the very end as a dragon. The last shot shows her hair restored, and she's playing on a guitar, finally at peace with herself.

Remember how the Lil' Death character literally has a moment where she projectile vomits? That character, like all the others you confront, are forms of the protagonist's sorrow -- in that case, the curl-up-into-a-ball-and-die sort of depression that is the ultimate hurdle of heartbreak.

The characters you face aren't depictions of literal people. As per the places they inhabit (Hatehell Valley, etc), they thematically represent the pain of a breakup -- hating others, hating yourself, feeling lost, etc. The "Mine" sequence being the memory of when times were good. They are the heroine's inner demons.

The whole game is essentially a pop album poem. It deals with the ups and downs of love - a universal experience. The message is things *will* get better. Just keep living, keep moving forward, one foot in front of the other -- and you will "fall right back into your groove."

Last edited: