• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Just wanted to start Ashen and I'm greeted with this abomination of a FOV-slider:
4t8yir6.png

It's worse for FPS games obviously, but I have seen it happen there as well. Why do devs do that?! Is it so hard to include a FOV value?

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
I mean, I'm weighing my anecdotal evidence against yours but this is not the norm in most games I play.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
For most people the number would make no sense and probably add unecessary noise

Oct 31, 2017
Not that the number itself changes much, since basically any developer seems to come up with their own way to calculate the angle (horizontal? Vertical? Does it "zoom" the camera in or out when you change it? etc, etc).

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It should be a standard by now that games that need an FoV slider include them, and that the FoV slider have a number associated with the horizontal degrees at which the player can see.

No Man's Sky, a game that came out in 2016 and has received 16 major updates since then, uses an FoV slider that's a percentage out of 100, where 100% is the cap, and even that ends up being a horizontal FoV of like 60 degrees, so pretty much every PC player still has to change the FoV by other means.

Not that the number itself changes much, since basically any developer seems to come up with their own way to calculate the angle (horizontal? Vertical? Does it "zoom" the camera in or out when you change it? etc, etc).
I mean, the standard is horizontal. There's only a few wacky games that have decided to go against the norm.

For most people the number would make no sense and probably add unecessary noise
Who are most people?

I feel like most PC gamers should have a go-to horizontal FoV number. Mine was determined by Overwatch's cap of 103.

I mean, I'm weighing my anecdotal evidence against yours but this is not the norm in most games I play.
What games are you playing? That sounds awful.

Unless you're saying that the norm in the games you play is for the FoV slider to have a number associated with it.

Last edited:

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
What games are you playing? That sounds awful.

Unless you're saying that the norm in the games you play is for the FoV slider to have a number associated with it.

I guess I should have been more clear. You got it right on the second shot - what the OP is posting is not what I'm used to seeing at all.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Well, FOV numbers don't always mean the same thing from game to game anyway. Is it vertical, horizontal, or some kind of hybrid?

OP
OP
Zukuu

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Well, FOV numbers don't always mean the same thing from game to game anyway. Is it vertical, horizontal, or some kind of hybrid?
Even in this case (which I have never seen), how does omitting a number ""help""?!

It's bad for ANY slider to not have a number next to it, but especially for FOV you already know "your sweet spot" and don't have to guess.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020
United States
to be fair different games use completely different ways of scaling FOV. 90 degrees in tf2 isn't the same as 90 degrees in Overwatch. the number is only useful if you look up the scaling to get it as close as possible to your normal FOV

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
to be fair different games use completely different ways of scaling FOV. 90 degrees in tf2 isn't the same as 90 degrees in Overwatch. the number is only useful if you look up the scaling to get it as close as possible to your normal FOV
This. it really varies strongly from engine to engine but it should of course still have some sort of value shown in the settings

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
What do the numbers even mean?
Something about degrees?

Is 90 in game A the same as 90 in game B even if game A only goes up to 90 but game B goes up to 120?

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
There should be a screen below it displaying the changes as you slide it. The numbers means jack shit until you see yourself what changed.

OP
OP
Zukuu

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
What do the numbers even mean?
Something about degrees?

Is 90 in game A the same as 90 in game B even if game A only goes up to 90 but game B goes up to 120?
It's usually horizontal or mixed.

638px-Angle_of_view.svg.png

I've never seen a pure vertical one that I can remember.

Last edited:

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Is it so hard to include a FOV value?
Sometimes, yeah. FOV is one of the very few UI elements that is both a slider and a number, so you suddenly have to up and create a new widget for it for whatever menu UI code you have for that option and only that option. Depending on the time you have available, it can suddenly seem not worth it.

It took us 6 years to put it in Strife. :V
(Well okay it was added in when one of the programmers got bored one day, and the Switch port was finally a good reason to push out a patch for it.)

OP
OP
Zukuu

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Sometimes, yeah. FOV is one of the very few UI elements that is both a slider and a number, so you suddenly have to up and create a new widget for it for whatever menu UI code you have for that option and only that option. Depending on the time you have available, it can suddenly seem not worth it.

It took us 6 years to put it in Strife. :V
(Well okay it was added in when one of the programmers got bored one day, and the Switch port was finally a good reason to push out a patch for it.)
Thanks for the input! So there might actually be a reason for it.

I'm curious if you wouldn't be able to just make it like the resolution-option (i.e. you swap through the available options)? That would allow to show the number without needing new UI elements.