• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
BLA7jBoXYtjsKZCEuaUJMo.jpg

At 2.4 GB/s, the Series X SSD doesn't even max out the 3.5 GB/s potential of PCIe 3.0. So why did they choose to use 4.0? Couldn't they have saved money by going with 3 instead of 4?

I know it does 4.8 GB/s compressed but isn't that still just 2.4 GB/s that turns into 4.8 once it's decompressed?

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
They said they wanted the speed at all times, no drops. I think that has something to do with it

rare

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if it's because 4.0 just A. Too cost intensive and B. Time constraints to get the console out on time

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The newer standard will probably be cheaper in the long run is usually the answer. Futureproofing ties into that.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
In PCs M.2 port for storage uses four PCIE gen4 lanes with the onboard controller being the bottleneck [at first it was ~4GB/s, newer ones this holiday season will go to 7.5GB/s].

SeriesX uses two lanes.

edit-expanded

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I'm just guessing futureproofing. I still think there will be a mid gen upgrade to these consoles depending on how tech moves forward over the next 5 years....

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Disclaimer: I am not smart or knowledgeable about anything. (I should start including this on every post I make :p)

Yea, it's about using less lanes. So they're using the higher throughput per lane that 4.0, but using fewer lanes to get there. Saves on what you need to do with the rest of the stuff. It should actually be cheaper overall this way.

I think.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Because speed isn't the only feature.

PCIE 4.0 also has new NVMe protocols as part of the spec, it also supports DRAM-less solutions like used in the Xbox Series X, these are more power efficient and cooler.

Nov 8, 2017
You get to use half as many PCIe lanes when using gen 4 over gen 3. Everything has a cost. Especially when scaled to millions of units.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
4.0 is a built in feature with AMD's modern SoCs, so this lets them save money by using fewer lanes (fewer physical traces, pins and contacts needed everywhere).

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
They are using this hardware in the datacenters as well, may be related to that.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017

At 2.4 GB/s, the Series X SSD doesn't even max out the 3.5 GB/s potential of PCIe 3.0. So why did they choose to use 4.0? Couldn't they have saved money by going with 3 instead of 4?

I know it does 4.8 GB/s compressed but isn't that still just 2.4 GB/s that turns into 4.8 once it's decompressed?
According to Microsoft they wanted a sustained read and write and focused on that. Where PlayStation operates more like a standard drive where the number they have is peak performance but wouldn't beable to sustain a write that speed for a extended period of time. Neither method is wrong. its just a different way to do things. It will be interesting to see as the generation how two the paths shakeout and if the in the end it even matters. Both consoles will have blistering face loads compared to what we have now.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

Because it is only using 2 lanes of PCIe 4.0. PCIe 4.0 has twice the bandwidth of PCIe 3.0.

Removing PCIe lanes on the APU saved them chip area and saved them build cost. They saved 2 PCIe lanes for the internal and 2 PCIe lanes for the external. It saves in board area, as well. And it likely saved them area for their CF Express expansion cards, as well.

Also, it is guaranteed to have 2.4GB/s minimum. It can go faster.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Zen 2 already supports PCIe 4.0, and using just 2 lanes of that would definitely be cheaper than 4 lanes of 3.0.

Edit: I didn't refresh and now I see it's been answered multiple times like 25 minutes ago lol...

Also, it is guaranteed to have 2.4GB/s minimum. It can go faster.
Just wanted to clarify on this, the max raw read speed is 2.4GB/s AFAIK, so it actually doesn't go faster. The numbers for compressed don't affect the physical transfer speed.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Just wanted to clarify on this, the max raw read speed is 2.4GB/s AFAIK, so it actually doesn't go faster. The numbers for compressed don't affect the physical transfer speed.
Good point. I did not state that the same way that Microsoft has. They state 2.4GB/s sustained.

news.xbox.com

Xbox Velocity Architecture: A Closer Look at the Next-Gen Tech Driving Gaming Innovation Forward on Xbox Series X - Xbox Wire

When we set out to design the Xbox Series X, we aspired to build our most powerful console ever powered by next generation innovation and delivering consistent, sustained performance never before seen in a console with no compromises. To achieve this goal, we knew we needed to analyze each...
  • Custom NVME SSD: The foundation of the Xbox Velocity Architecture is our custom, 1TB NVME SSD, delivering 2.4 GB/s of raw I/O throughput, more than 40x the throughput of Xbox One. Traditional SSDs used in PCs often reduce performance as thermals increase or while performing drive maintenance. The custom NVME SSD in Xbox Series X is designed for consistent, sustained performance as opposed to peak performance. Developers have a guaranteed level of I/O performance at all times and they can reliably design and optimize their games removing the barriers and constraints they have to work around today. This same level of consistent, sustained performance also applies to the Seagate Expandable Storage Card ensuring you have the exact same gameplay experience regardless of where the game resides.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
According to Microsoft they wanted a sustained read and write and focused on that. Where PlayStation operates more like a standard drive where the number they have is peak performance but wouldn't beable to sustain a write that speed for a extended period of time. Neither method is wrong. its just a different way to do things. It will be interesting to see as the generation how two the paths shakeout and if the in the end it even matters. Both consoles will have blistering face loads compared to what we have now.
The PS5 uses 12 channels and TLC NANDs. The PS5 is way more capable to sustain the bandwidth.

However, the Xbox will use two channels to simply save costs.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Good point. I did not state that the same way that Microsoft has. They state 2.4GB/s sustained.

news.xbox.com

Xbox Velocity Architecture: A Closer Look at the Next-Gen Tech Driving Gaming Innovation Forward on Xbox Series X - Xbox Wire

When we set out to design the Xbox Series X, we aspired to build our most powerful console ever powered by next generation innovation and delivering consistent, sustained performance never before seen in a console with no compromises. To achieve this goal, we knew we needed to analyze each...
Yeah it'll definitely be fast enough for anything they want to do with it I'm sure.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation operates more like a standard drive where the number they have is peak performance but wouldn't beable to sustain a write that speed for a extended period of time.
There is no evidence to support this assertion.
For all intents and purposes both the 2.4GB/s figure from Xbox and 5.5GB/s from Playstation are sustained, guaranteed read performance.

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
Future proofing.

The next "slim" Xbox Series X, in 4 years, will have an upgraded SSD with improved speeds.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I bet that a part of it is just the velocity architecture (that enables the SSD to hook directly into the GPU) works best over PCIe 4.0.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
There is no evidence to support this assertion.
For all intents and purposes both the 2.4GB/s figure from Xbox and 5.5GB/s from Playstation are sustained, guaranteed read performance.

I do find it interesting that Xbox goes out of their way to emphasize their SSD speed for both the internal and external SSD is sustained. Not to say the PS5's internal SSD speed isn't sustained, but because it can except standard PC nvme SSD those could certainly have inconsistent performance.