• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
The new Samurai Shodown game releases in June of this year [2019]. The Samurai Shodown NeoGeo Collection releases in the Fall of this year [2019].

Why would you not release the collection of all of the classic games first as a primer for your latest and greatest game in that same series?!?

This is just not making sense to me - can anyone explain the possible logistical, business reasoning for not releasing the Samurai Shodown NeoGeo Collection in May?

That makes the most sense to me, as that would give series fans the best to catch up on the old games; as well as giving new fans a chance to see what all the fuss is about...one month before their latest and greatest sequel releases.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
"Hey man, this game is pretty cool. Are the old ones any good? Oh, there's a collection coming soon, I should check it out!"

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
The world isn't always ideal. I'd imagine the collection got greenlit at such a late point that it had to come out later to still be a quality release.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
The world isn't always ideal. I'd imagine the collection got greenlit at such a late point that it had to come out later to still be a quality release.
That's the only explanation I can come up with is just that it got greenlit at a point to where the development wouldn't be complete until after the release of the latest one.

That's still just seems really bizarre to me.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Probably along the lines of, "Would the classic collection create as much hype as we're gonna get from Evo anyway? Would the classic collection perform stronger following Evo?"

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There's a thing called development cycles.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
IPpY.gif

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people that would buy the new one would also buy the collection before or after the new one came out. A lot of people may buy the new one because it's a new release and later on think I wonder if I'll like the older ones too?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
So they release the newer game first followed by the older ones later.

That is within SNK's company slogan because the Future is Now...

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Japanese-developed new game was in the works for a long while, US team got the rights to work with SNK after seeing it and probably going "oh nice wonder if we can help build hype" so it's coming out a bit later.

Nothing wrong with that since it's better for it to be a polished collection than a rushed bugfest

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty clear that the new Samsho was shoved forward to make it to EVO in time. Just like SFV was rushed out the door for EVO promotion.

Classic re-releases are pretty consistently used to drum up hype for future releases in this industry, violation of this principle seems to suggest the above. I have never heard of a classic re-release after a modern release for this reason. It's obviously counter-intuitive as it will be far harder to go back to older, clunkier games after playing a fresh, well-controlling modern entry.

Since fighting game competitors play primarily on Xbox/PS4, Switch and PC maintained their later actually planned release dates since neither of those platforms being excluded will have nearly the same effect on EVO. That is my suggestion.

SNK is not above playing hard and fast when it comes to platforms and deals, and the EVO deal was probably too sweet to pass up. Just like with Sony and KOFXIV and Nintendo with SNK Heroines.

EDIT: Just noticed that the Ukyo trailer is an SRK exclusive. The buddy-buddy with EVO is strong. If SNK put as much work into their modern title online systems as they did with their platform bargaining and marketing deals, we'd be playing GGPO Mach 3 battles three years ago.

Last edited:

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thats not that bad.
Here's something worse: EA releases Mass Effect Trilogy collection for Xbox 360 and PC, then a full priced Mass Effect 3 on Wii U 2 weeks later.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
That they do, but how was this not in consideration before the latest sequel began development, to give it a chance to release at least a month before hand?

It just seems to me that an anthology of [most of] the previous games in HD should be released before the latest one, so that people can experience how the series has arrived at that point.

I don't work on the outsource projects with DE directly, but going by the release dates they were probably working on the 40th anniversary collection to coincide with....our 40th anniversary!
So again....these things take time, especially if you want the care and detail on the same level you get with a Digital Eclipse release.
It's not just a ROM dump and call it a day project.

These things just happen because of development schedules and such. Did the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary also release before Street Fighter V?
Pretty sure that came 5-6 months later as well.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Things take as long as they take.

SNK's Neo Geo library has been bukkake'd onto every possible platform since the dawn of time, irrespective of when they do or don't need to promote something new.

Strelok

Oct 29, 2017
Karnaca, Serkonos
I don't work on the outsource projects with DE directly, but going by the release dates they were probably working on the 40th anniversary collection to coincide with....our 40th anniversary!
So again....these things take time, especially if you want the care and detail on the same level you get with a Digital Eclipse release.

These things just happen because of development schedules and such. Did the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary also release before Street Fighter V?
Remind everyone of KOF 25th too please, a collection to go along with the 2020 epusode would be great

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
PC and Nintendo Switch owners are getting the new game after the collection. I am pretty upset about it, but only just because I feel like the userbases on both of those platforms will be especially weak soon after launch.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I would much rather play the newer, more accessible game in a series I'm trying out for the first time than the older ones. Then, if I like the new game enough, I'll give the older ones a shot. I've done this with a lot of series.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States

The Shin Nihon Kikaku Corporation [SNK] was founded on July 22, 1978 - so the 40th anniversary was last year :)

The original Samurai Spirits/Shodown arcade released on July 7th, 1993 world-wide, with specific regional global launches on August 11th of the same year; so the new game coming out in June fits that 26th anniversary milestone relatively well.

It would have been especially cool if they could have at least matched up the Samurai Shodown NeoGeo Collection release date with the anniversary of the day that it hit the arcades for the first time.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Different schedules, different developers, different timelines, etc.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The Shin Nihon Kikaku Corporation [SNK] was founded on July 22, 1978 - so the 40th anniversary was last year :)

That's...exactly my point. Last year was the anniversary so DE was obviously working on that project until it released. Which I believe was in November for the first wave of platforms?

For something like a 40th anniversary you don't celebrate it for just one day. There were all kinds of various events in Japan at least. The Neo Geo Mini was also part of the whole 40th anniversary push I believe.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
That's...exactly my point. Last year was the anniversary so DE was obviously working on that project until it released. Which I believe was in November for the first wave of platforms?

For something like a 40th anniversary you don't celebrate it for just one day. There were all kinds of various events in Japan at least. The Neo Geo Mini was also part of the whole 40th anniversary push I believe.
I thought you were talking about the Samurai Shodown NeoGeo Collection as it's releasing this year and not part of the chronological 40th anniversary - but I get what you're saying about the anniversary lasting longer than a year :)