• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His games are entertaining and bring its batshit insane (in a good way) community together

I don't necessarily think the MGS games are deep but they have an earnest message behind them. He seems like a very sincere guy and you can get a feel for that through his games, their themes and the messages they leave you once the credits start rolling. Death Stranding places a huge emphasis on the importance of connecting with one another which literally extends into how the game plays and while it's not the most deepest or original thing ever, it is certainly something we need more of especially in today's society where everything feels impersonal and standoff-ish despite having instant communication with one another. Here he is putting it in his own words.

wzpagjuab6131.jpg

This would make more sense if the biggest games in the World in the last five years (Fortnite, WoW, League of Legends, PUBG, Hearthstone, Minecraft, Overwatch aswell as all the co-op service games like Destiny, Diablo, Borderlands and The Division) weren't all multiplayer games...

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Someone here unironically compared him to Picasso
People like you are the reason because I need to stop to post in the internet forum. Seriously. It's frankly annoying to discuss against such superficiality every single time. I haven't said he is like Picasso, by the way. I don't waste even the time to explain me more, it's useless.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I appreciate your post, but he didn't create stealth genre. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealth_game
I can definitely agree with popularizing and influencing it in the late 90's, among with the few other notable stealth games releasing the same year. Tenchu and Thief, which both were also very well regarded.

Metal Gear on MSX was leaps and bounds more sophisticated than most stealth games of the mid-80s though.

and, outside of Wolfenstein, probably way more famous/influential.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Hello, everyone, I guess this will be the topic I get to finally sign up for after being a 5 plus years lurker to the old website and this one.
Nice to meet you all.

I am mostly a lurker, but this narrative has finally got to me, and we need to get things straight.
Hideo Kojima wrote every single line himself during MGS1-3 except a few of the Codec Convos.

Tomokazu Fukushima was responsible only for side stuff in Kojima's games like "'In The Darkness of Shadow Moses", Snake Tales, and certain side codec calls not related to the main story (like the *shit* codec convo with Sigint in MGS3). Not "keeping in check", not "editing" not "writing". Generally nothing to do with the main story.
Literally no plot point ever came from Fukushima, or anyone else aside Kojima.

This is the sole reason I signed up, because I have no idea how this ridiculous theory about Fukushima, became so widespread, maybe people want to project somewhere that empty feeling they get inside when getting older and growing out of stuff.

"It's not me, maybe Kojima doesn't have help anymore, yeah that's why when I play new stuff I don't feel the same way I felt when I played MGS1-3".

This Fukushima Fiction point needs to die and be moderated, because apparently somehow it gets traction, even if there has never been any proof of even a semblance of it being a reality.

This post was the only reason I signed up, still I hope didn't offend anyone (English is not my native language, so I want to make sure the tone of this post is not offensive in intent), but if someone still makes that point after this, I would like to be shown proof of it, and also proof of Fukushima's other works as a writer.

Now, about the topic at hand, since I already made a post, let me give my two cents in brief.

1) Hideo Kojima is an amazing Game Designer. He thinks out of the box. In an era every game was chasing the trend of shooting everything that moves or jumping on the head of everything that moves, he created a whole genre (Stealth genre with METAL GEAR in 1987) by thinking out of the box. He later made that genre Mainstream with METAL GEAR SOLID.

2) He values the medium more than its fans. People are like "Duh, videogame stories are bad, they are not books or movies". He constantly tries to overthrow that notion, and he literally planted the first seeds for the Mainstream Public with METAL GEAR SOLID at a time most developers did not have that as a priority. Hideo Kojima made the cinematic presentation of METAL GEAR SOLID as a priority... in 1998.
He literally deliberately stopped pursuing a sequel for 5 years after the hugely successful METAL GEAR 2, just because he had that vision to grow the medium and the technology wasn't ready to support that vision.

3) His attention to detail is second to none. Example:

4) He is an incredible Game Designer as I said. From making his psychic n-game character talking to you directly and flatout spelling the game you were playing right before you booted METAL GEAR SOLID, to re-defining horror experiences for generations with just a hallway and 2 doors as tools, to making a game about solar power function by having your portable machine gain actual Sun juice.

5) He can marry the crazy with the grounded in a way that makes it seem coherent.

6) He is an amazing Producer, always picking the right people for each position, and not being afraid to replace them if they are not adequate. This is imo his biggest trait outside of his creative genius.
And contrary to popular belief his games do not cost way more than other popular studios' games.

He is also incredibly efficient, releasing a huge game on 5 platforms, at 60 fps, with his company not even letting him finish it properly, ALONGSIDE a brand new Engine (MGSV + FOX ENGINE), in just 5 years (2010 - 2015), and create a brand new studio, new IP, and release it in just 3.5 Years (2016-2019).

7) He excels at marketing. He "betrays" his audience in a way that does justice to the story he tries to tell by playing with our expectations, not for "lying for sales" but to further his themes. That night that 7780 Studios announced P.T. and what happened later, will be taught in marketing classes for years to come.

8) He presents ideas and themes in his games that are deeply rooted in the in-game universe.

9) He is super successful, commercially and citically. His games are hugely popular, make tons of money, critically acclaimed like no other.
MGSaga especially is unmatched as the only 28 years, same universe, same creative visions behind it, non-rebooted story in videogame history.

Critically, on metacritic for example, MGS1 = 94, MGS2 = 96, MGS3 = 94, MGS4 = 94, MGSPW = 89, MGSV = 93.

Snatcher, Policenauts, METAL GEAR, Zone of the Enders, Boktai, PT, all under his leadership.
Can you even doubt his track record?

10) And he is super professional. He always credits his colleagues in the finished product just like he credits himself (he damn right deserves to credit himself every time he can, like he does with everyone else), he and his studio did not slander KONAMI like they should have after what they did to them, he did not try to prove people as liars with regards to MGS Main theme when that happened, nor did he slander the composer that "borrowed" that theme publicly, he did not slander Hayter when he said "Fuck Kojima" on screen, because Kojima didn't give him a role (as if he had to), and many other things. Super professional.

He is also a great Trailer Editor, he edits almost all of his games trailers himself, and they are part of the whole experience. Also he has amazing instinct for cinematography.

tldr: These are my brief thoughts on why he is a genius, attention to detail, amazing game designer, innovative, thinking outside of the box, professional, respectful, badass, funny, deep themes backed by both his stories and his game design, unpredictable, a Producer second to none, variation to his work, workaholic, visionary with infectious ideas (other visionaries and talented people keep getting attracted to him)....

And what he is trying to do with Death Stranding.... Oh my Lord if it even remotely succeeds his vision!!

Love this post.

Oct 25, 2017
He brought a contorted, but utterly basic version of some history and civics to kids with MGS1, but a nice big dose of anime. And folks love that kinda shit.

With that said, his games tend to have pretty great gameplay.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
People like you are the reason because I need to stop to post in the internet forum. Seriously. It's frankly annoying to discuss against such superficiality every single time. I haven't said he is like Picasso, by the way. I don't waste even the time to explain me more, it's useless.

You are right, I apologize. Please give me some time to study the curriculum of Kojima. Maybe there is a class I can take at Yale.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Metal Gear on MSX was leaps and bounds more sophisticated than most stealth games of the mid-80s though.
Sure, that's still not creating a genre though. Castle Wolfenstein (1981) and/or it's sequel (1984) also already had features like disguising yourself as the the guards and dragging bodies. Definitely something other games at the time (or later) weren't doing. In addition to the focus being on avoiding enemies rather than direct confrontation.

Super Mario Bros was more sophisticated than let's say Pitfall, but Pitfall was still a platformer before Super Mario Bros. Miyamoto didn't create a genre there either, he just created Mario games.

Last edited:

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You are right, I apologize. Please give me some time to study the curriculum of Kojima. Maybe there is a class I can take at Yale.
Surely is more qualified than you, that's for sure. Even your sense of humour is terrible. But go on, please. Show us how much are you brilliant without give a fuck to the other arguments. I bet you barely know the work of research behind his games.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Hostility, Aggressive Whataboutisms, Sexist Concern Trolling; Previous Infractions about Racism and Sexism
But a genius makes something great. His shortsighted vision for female lead characters holds his work back from being better.
What the fuck are you guys even talking about? MGS 1,2,3 WERE great and critically acclaimed games. The stuff he did after that does not change that in the slightest. What is this logic? OoT is unplayable to me nowadays...yeah, let's call it a bad game and question the MC from 1998....
Let's be consequent and ban all discussion about Kojima and his work on this board and in order to avoid hypocrisy let's ban all discussion about Dragonball, Yakuza, Senran Kagura, DOA, Xenoblade 2 and many others...because all of these feature the same level of pervy female exploitation.

Man, you guys are really starting to make my blood boil with this nonsense. And btw: your keyboard campaign against Kojima won't help the millions/billions of women who really are treated like shit in this world and it won't stop the better off women from pursuing careers where the exposure of their body is part of the job. Good lord...

Dec 6, 2017
US
Kojima is basically the video game Quentin Tarantino as far as I'm concerned. Kind of a super-nerd that runs totally wild with his own imagination, sometimes it works and just comes together, other times it doesn't.

"Genius" is absurd of course but MGS games always hit like a bombshell in terms of being totally different than anything else on the market at their time of release. Maybe by the time MGS4 rolled around not so much but again, at least his games try different things and I value that. Can't always hit a home run.

I also think MGS5 has some of the greatest gameplay out there and while it's heavily flawed as a package, I still dumped something like 150 to 200 hours into it and found it incredibly endearing and most of all fun as hell.

PS: I don't buy into cult of personality but his MGS and ZotE series have been fucking great for the most part for me so of course I'm excited for anything new he puts out.

Deleted member 59401

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Piggybacking on all the praise heaped upon the man. Instead of going to ancient examples, I wanted to take a moment from the recent Death Stranding Gameplay demo.

So Redus is walking toward the mountain, he pulls out a ladder, climbs the ladder. Sees Keighley at the top. First thought, Oh! That's cool. Great utility in an open-world game. So he meets Keighley, everyone laughs because it's a sight gag. Redus goes back to the cliff. FALLS. Big laugh from the audience because that's another gag.

Until you realize that the gag was a setup to introduce another gameplay mechanic: Keeping the infant calm. Apparently, that impacts gameplay and builds a connection with the player like some sort of Tomogatchi. In that moment, I had to nod in appreciation. This was, what? 5 mintues of gameplay with no gunplay or crazy action twists and already we learn that the bond between yourself and the child is an integral gameplay dynamic that serves the dual purpose of bringing you a more intimate connection with this 'tool', attempts to mimic the connection of parenthood, and directly affects the gameplay in a ways that we don't know. Is he an alarm during stealth? Does unhappy baby have a negative impact on your own health or weapons?

We have NO idea, but Kojima reveals all of this within a gag, then pay off. We haven't even touched how he'll approach boss encounters with this mechanic. His game design approach is damn near peerless.

Nobody else does this. That's why Kojima is in a class above.

It is a very good "walkthrough" of the gameplay video and why it is so interesting to me. You descibed it better than I could.

His attention to detail, fun cast, stupid shit played straight and the commentary of his (mostly MGS2) are awesome.
That said, I highly doubt all of the good stuff came from him and I really dislike the way he treats women in games. The games where he wasn't the only writer were the best (MGS1-3). MGS4 is where he got full control and that game had so many stupid shit in it (even though the core game was good).

He isn't perfect and is at his best when he designs the gameplay. I would say Yoko Taro is a better writer.

He always had full control. And he always had small writers to write side stuff, like side codec convos and side modes.

It's kinda sad seeing that not so many people know who Fukushima is and how much he contributed to MGS 1-3.

Kojima is a terrible, terrible writer and this shows once Fukushima left.

Those are not a few. Almost all the primary twists of the story happens through the codex in MGS2. Conspicuously the writing has lost a lot of soul since the departure of Tomokazu Fukushima. His solo-game MGS Ghost Babel tells an excellent story without any input from Kojima, and hey, there's generally just a shit-ton of codec dialogue in the first 3 games which is where a lot of substance is added to the characters.

I think Kojima is more of a concept-man. He gets the ball rolling but his success depends on what people he kept in tow to champion his vision. Alone his writing is actually kind of stinky. The EVA logs in Peace Walker are dreadfully written.

The idea that the greatness of MGS1-2-3 is formed through rose-tinted glasses is definitively false.

I was introduced to the franchise in 2013, playing MGS3 on 3DS. Wanting more of that I got MGS4 on PS4. I went back and played MGS2 and finally MGS1 with lots of space between.

Undeniably, I had an urge to replay MGS2 because of that genius core story it tells (yes there's a lot of zany characters and hogwash plot development but the core philosophy of its story is so hauntingly good) and I also played MGS3 maybe 6 times? I've tried replaying MGS4 more than once too, but while I love the gameplay it's the story that drags. I also liked MGS5, even the tapes you listen to, but the amount of "NANOMACHINES" and "VOCAL CHORD PARASITE" nonsense is either what happens if you don't give Kojima a ghost writer or it's just Shuyo Murata being a terrible writer. Whatever it is, the games used to be definitively better at storytelling (plotting, characterization, dramatization) when Fukushima was involved, for three games. It cannot be a coincidence.

Shuyo Murata was also involved. I believe he was credited for the villains, probably the cutscene writing too since I take it he's more of a screenplay guy. How do we know Fukushima only wrote the "side dialog"? I totally believe Kojima wrote rosemary as she channels movie nerdism that is so emblemic of Kojima.

I still think he is a guy who needs people to write for him and if you isolate him his writing sucks.

Yeah no. They literally have zero writing contribution to the main story. Please provide proof of his involvement or stop mentioning something like that.

I appreciate your post, but he didn't create stealth genre. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealth_game
I can definitely agree with popularizing and influencing it in the late 90's, among with the few other notable stealth games releasing the same year. Tenchu and Thief, which both were also very well regarded. Great year for stealth games, but not solely because of MGS. Even if it was my personal favorite of those three.

Well, it depends how you look at it. Pacman could even be seen as a stealth game if those (that are not Wolfenstein) are to be considered as one. They definitely contributed heavily, but stealth was not the core of the game or the focus, just some throwaway mechanics on a small part of the game until you got to the "catching everything that moves".

Metal Gear, it was its whole point though and could be played in its entirety as that. Thus creating the genre. There was no stealth genre beforehand.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
He makes fun, super memorable characters and stories that despite being absolutely and completely insane, are still some of the most beloved in video game history. Also his attention to detail is almost second to none.
Basically. I don't gel with a lot of his stuff, but for probably as long as I'll live, MGS2's insane attention to detail will stick with me. He's made plenty since then, but that's the one that to this day, I just couldn't believe what I was seeing and playing with.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are blinded to his personality and, how can say it, excessive exposition to the public or more probable, they can't scratch beyond the surface of his job, giving just a superficial opinion of what they can just figure out in such games without going deeper. With all respect for them.

His whole Rock Star ego? Yeah, I can dig that being a problem.

Solid question, it's not necessarily the amount of people, it's the incredibly high regard those people have for him. Of course, that's just my opinion. If Kojima's games make you happy I hope you get to spend all day playing them. Fill your boots! Not for me though.

I see what you mean. I just think "overrated" is a bit of an empty criticism, you know?

Not digging at you specifically because loads of people say it, but even as a personal response to another's perception of something, "they like this thing too much" isn't all that meaningful. How much is too much?

Don't mind me. Pet peeve. 😄

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Hello, everyone, I guess this will be the topic I get to finally sign up for after being a 5 plus years lurker to the old website and this one.
Nice to meet you all.

I am mostly a lurker, but this narrative has finally got to me, and we need to get things straight.
Hideo Kojima wrote every single line himself during MGS1-3 except a few of the Codec Convos.

Tomokazu Fukushima was responsible only for side stuff in Kojima's games like "'In The Darkness of Shadow Moses", Snake Tales, and certain side codec calls not related to the main story (like the *shit* codec convo with Sigint in MGS3). Not "keeping in check", not "editing" not "writing". Generally nothing to do with the main story.
Literally no plot point ever came from Fukushima, or anyone else aside Kojima.

This is the sole reason I signed up, because I have no idea how this ridiculous theory about Fukushima, became so widespread, maybe people want to project somewhere that empty feeling they get inside when getting older and growing out of stuff.

"It's not me, maybe Kojima doesn't have help anymore, yeah that's why when I play new stuff I don't feel the same way I felt when I played MGS1-3".

This Fukushima Fiction point needs to die and be moderated, because apparently somehow it gets traction, even if there has never been any proof of even a semblance of it being a reality.

This post was the only reason I signed up, still I hope didn't offend anyone (English is not my native language, so I want to make sure the tone of this post is not offensive in intent), but if someone still makes that point after this, I would like to be shown proof of it, and also proof of Fukushima's other works as a writer.

Now, about the topic at hand, since I already made a post, let me give my two cents in brief.

1) Hideo Kojima is an amazing Game Designer. He thinks out of the box. In an era every game was chasing the trend of shooting everything that moves or jumping on the head of everything that moves, he created a whole genre (Stealth genre with METAL GEAR in 1987) by thinking out of the box. He later made that genre Mainstream with METAL GEAR SOLID.

2) He values the medium more than its fans. People are like "Duh, videogame stories are bad, they are not books or movies". He constantly tries to overthrow that notion, and he literally planted the first seeds for the Mainstream Public with METAL GEAR SOLID at a time most developers did not have that as a priority. Hideo Kojima made the cinematic presentation of METAL GEAR SOLID as a priority... in 1998.
He literally deliberately stopped pursuing a sequel for 5 years after the hugely successful METAL GEAR 2, just because he had that vision to grow the medium and the technology wasn't ready to support that vision.

3) His attention to detail is second to none. Example:

4) He is an incredible Game Designer as I said. From making his psychic n-game character talking to you directly and flatout spelling the game you were playing right before you booted METAL GEAR SOLID, to re-defining horror experiences for generations with just a hallway and 2 doors as tools, to making a game about solar power function by having your portable machine gain actual Sun juice.

5) He can marry the crazy with the grounded in a way that makes it seem coherent.

6) He is an amazing Producer, always picking the right people for each position, and not being afraid to replace them if they are not adequate. This is imo his biggest trait outside of his creative genius.
And contrary to popular belief his games do not cost way more than other popular studios' games.

He is also incredibly efficient, releasing a huge game on 5 platforms, at 60 fps, with his company not even letting him finish it properly, ALONGSIDE a brand new Engine (MGSV + FOX ENGINE), in just 5 years (2010 - 2015), and create a brand new studio, new IP, and release it in just 3.5 Years (2016-2019).

7) He excels at marketing. He "betrays" his audience in a way that does justice to the story he tries to tell by playing with our expectations, not for "lying for sales" but to further his themes. That night that 7780 Studios announced P.T. and what happened later, will be taught in marketing classes for years to come.

8) He presents ideas and themes in his games that are deeply rooted in the in-game universe.

9) He is super successful, commercially and citically. His games are hugely popular, make tons of money, critically acclaimed like no other.
MGSaga especially is unmatched as the only 28 years, same universe, same creative visions behind it, non-rebooted story in videogame history.

Critically, on metacritic for example, MGS1 = 94, MGS2 = 96, MGS3 = 94, MGS4 = 94, MGSPW = 89, MGSV = 93.

Snatcher, Policenauts, METAL GEAR, Zone of the Enders, Boktai, PT, all under his leadership.
Can you even doubt his track record?

10) And he is super professional. He always credits his colleagues in the finished product just like he credits himself (he damn right deserves to credit himself every time he can, like he does with everyone else), he and his studio did not slander KONAMI like they should have after what they did to them, he did not try to prove people as liars with regards to MGS Main theme when that happened, nor did he slander the composer that "borrowed" that theme publicly, he did not slander Hayter when he said "Fuck Kojima" on screen, because Kojima didn't give him a role (as if he had to), and many other things. Super professional.

He is also a great Trailer Editor, he edits almost all of his games trailers himself, and they are part of the whole experience. Also he has amazing instinct for cinematography.

tldr: These are my brief thoughts on why he is a genius, attention to detail, amazing game designer, innovative, thinking outside of the box, professional, respectful, badass, funny, deep themes backed by both his stories and his game design, unpredictable, a Producer second to none, variation to his work, workaholic, visionary with infectious ideas (other visionaries and talented people keep getting attracted to him)....

And what he is trying to do with Death Stranding.... Oh my Lord if it even remotely succeeds his vision!!

PS: Ultimate proof:

Jesus, man. While I'm not going to post as much as you did, I still stand by my Fukushima stance. Even if he just did the codec calls, those moments meant a lot to me and it felt like there was a big part of the game missing when they were shit in MGS4 and pretty much absent in PW and MGSV. Also there is no proof, that's why it's a theory and I can understand why some people choose to believe it when there is a massive difference in writing quality between MGS3 and MGS4 that is hard to explain. Although I think it was more because Kojima didn't want to work on Metal Gear anymore but I guess we'll know that when Death Stranding comes out.

Deleted member 59401

Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Jesus, man. While I'm not going to post as much as you did, I still stand by my Fukushima stance. Even if he just did the codec calls, those moments meant a lot to me and it felt like there was a big part of the game missing when they were shit in MGS4 and pretty much absent in PW and MGSV. Also there is no proof, that's why it's a theory and I can understand why some people choose to believe it when there is a massive difference in writing quality between MGS3 and MGS4 that is hard to explain. Although I think it was more because Kojima didn't want to work on Metal Gear anymore but I guess we'll know that when Death Stranding comes out.

I want to make clear, he didn't write the main story codec calls, he wrote some of side codec calls. Some were by Kojima too.
Fukushima also wrote the books in MGS2 and synopsis in MGS1(both storyboarded by Kojima).
He also wrote fictional side modes like Snake Tales.

Let me be clear, Fukushima rocked. Way better at writing these side stuff than Shuyo Murata imo. Shuyo Murata basically replaced Tomokazu Fukushima in MGS4.

But please don't make it sound like Fukushima is anywhere near the level of Kojima, or somehow had input in Kojima's stories that he didn't have.

Also, there is definitely not a massive writing difference between MGS3 and MGS4, it's the exact same style.

There is a difference in MGSPW and MGSV where Kojima took to heart the complaints about "too much code, too many cutscenes", and made all codec calls optional and able to be listened to while playing (cassettes), and introduced subtlety to his cutscenes that MGS1-3 did not have.

Kojima writes every single line of the main story himself, although he does introduce story ideas of other people in his game if the team are big on them, but he still writes the dialogue himself. This is a fact unless proven otherwise (it's stated as such through development videos).

Deleted member 59401

Banned
Aug 21, 2019
This is amazing stuff and precisely the kind of thing I was discussing in my post.

I have played these games 20 times each, read every guide, watched like every playthrough ever lol, thought i knew everything, and I still find stuff I didn't know about.

That channel is very good for those stuff btw. Has amazing videos like that.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he make one of the side missions in a recent metal gear about saving him? Also during the Psycho Mantis battle in MGS1.

Yes, you rescue Kojima in MGSV and it's hilarious. It mirrored one of the first missions of the game. It was obviously a joke; the guy has a weird and mischievous sense of humor.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Well lets first start with what people seem to constantly forget. Kojima games are both in gameplay and graphics amazing. People look at games like MGS1-4 from a 2019 perspective and I know I was always completely blown away by the graphics of all his mainline games when those games actually came out. Kojima games always pushed graphics. Same was true 20 years ago as it is with MGS V in 2015 and same will be the case in 2019 with Death Stranding.

And also the gameplay was just perfect. In all of his game. Yes of course looking at it now and being "used to" the same third person PoV most games use it seems like the old games are too tanky and sluggish and this might be true if you compare Uncharted 4, Metal Gear Solid V, DooM 2016 and Sekiro to Metal Gear Solid from 20 years ago, but you just can't do that.

In addition to the gameplay the little details and sandbox elements in his games were unmatched. Back in the day a huge part of those games were people just running around, discovering and doing stuff for fun and giggles. Those games were mechanical masterpieces in regards to using items and enemy A.I. There were thousands of small unique interactions that most people missed or don't remember.

The three things I just mentioned gave Metal Gear games a lot of replay value. The games gave you a lot of freedom and things to discover you might have missed in previous playthroughs and I am not talking about meaningless collectibles or grindy achievements. I am talking about genuine discovery and exploration.
Also you got rewards for completing the game and those got better when you met certain requirements. Those felt great and made you proud. It is a stark contrast to nowadays where you get those items as microtransactions.

You wanted to play those games. You were looking forward to come home and play those game. You were talking with your friends about those games and secrets. You were genuinely excited to go on. You were excited to just run around and discover. You were excited to goof around and do things that are just fun from a mechanical gameplay perspective.

Those are the things every single person appreciated about Kojima. Even if people didn't understand (me included at the age I was when the earlier games came out) things behind the game, the little details, homages, the message, the political aspect and SO much more.

It is kind of the same with Silent Hill 2. While Silent Hill 2 was not as groundbreaking in graphics, gameplay, exploration and "sandbox elements" it did something that most Metal Gear games do aswell. It is great for both audiences. Everyone loves Silent Hill 2. Both audiences. Those that play through it and say "wow that was creepy. I have no idea what was going on but I was scared" and those that know the game, those that analyze it and know the meaning behind every little detail of that game, the symbolism behind things, the environmental and monster design and so on. For the latter Silent Hill 2 is an absolute masterpiece. After all it is the most intelligent game alongside Metal Gear Solid 2 that ever came out.

Going in to analyze Metal Gear games and to a huge degree PT it would probably take me many words and hours to do so, but especially Metal Gear Solid 2 is worth the deeper dive and there is a great video on Metal Gear Solid 2 and a recently released autobiographical take on PT which was shared here on resetera that is simply amazing and makes a lot of actual sense.

Everything Kojima does has many layers and many people don't put in the effort to go through it and that is perfectly fine. To each their own.

I just know that with absolute confidence and certainty I can say that I blindly trust Kojima. The Death Stranding trailers and million of little details in them already gave me more joy than most other games did in their entirety.

Whether I am rational about this or not. Kojima makes me have this emotions towards him and his games. Kojima makes me excited about playing games and he makes me question things and taking a deeper look at things.

There are many other great games out there, but there is only one Kojima.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
I love him bc he is literally the auteur of our generation like. Nobody else is putting out what he is putting out.

He is just so high quality in everything he does.

7lAi.gif

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I only look at him as someone who does somewhat interesting games, but I think that the only game he done that I have truly enjoyed actually playing is MGS: Ground Zeroes. It wasn't too long, it didn't have too much of the dialogs and story of him, that I only find weird and gringe worthy, and for once I wasn't frustrated by the camera and controls in one of his games.

Metal Gear on NES was somewhat special at the time, but MGS1-3 were some of the most frustrating games I've played. The only reason I could beat MGS2 was because it was designed so that if you ran through a room, alerting all the guards, and were killed in the next room, you would get to start from that second room then. There's no way I would have wanted to play it to completion playing normally. MSGS3 Subsistence was something I sold after trying to not break my controller for the 4-5h I spent with it.

When it comes to actual gameplay, it really was first with Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain that they became actually good. That Phantom Pain had a lot of other off putting aspects is another thing.

I think he's vastly overrated, I wouldn't put him anywhere near a list of the best or most interesting high profile game developers/designers/directors. But I can enjoy following him and his games for the spectacle they come with.

Last edited:

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
He makes brilliant games with crazy characters, even crazier stories and excellent gameplay.

He is, however, wildly overrated and the cult of personality which has built up around him is utterly ridiculous.

I also totally agree with the guy that said one of his best games is MGS: Ground Zeroes. It has 100% best in class 3rd person action and stealth gameplay, total freedom to accomplish your objective the way you want and doesn't go on too long. It's a joyous experience which simply tells the story of an agent infiltrating a base to extract someone.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I want to make clear, he didn't write the main story codec calls, he wrote some of side codec calls. Some were by Kojima too.
Fukushima also wrote the books in MGS2 and synopsis in MGS1(both storyboarded by Kojima).
He also wrote fictional side modes like Snake Tales.

Let me be clear, Fukushima rocked. Way better at writing these side stuff than Shuyo Murata imo. Shuyo Murata basically replaced Tomokazu Fukushima in MGS4.

But please don't make it sound like Fukushima is anywhere near the level of Kojima, or somehow had input in Kojima's stories that he didn't have.

Also, there is definitely not a massive writing difference between MGS3 and MGS4, it's the exact same style.

There is a difference in MGSPW and MGSV where Kojima took to heart the complaints about "too much code, too many cutscenes", and made all codec calls optional and able to be listened to while playing (cassettes), and introduced subtlety to his cutscenes that MGS1-3 did not have.

Kojima writes every single line of the main story himself, although he does introduce story ideas of other people in his game if the team are big on them, but he still writes the dialogue himself. This is a fact unless proven otherwise (it's stated as such through development videos).
Can you give me a source that proves he didn't touch the main storyline? Because I thought nobody knew what exactly he did and that's why there's so much discussion on it.

Nov 22, 2017
I don't understand what people meant for genius in this contest. What exactly is a genius in the game industry? Because I can assure to you, his mind is far from "common" or average. What makes a person a genius in the game industry?

Is there an absolute necessity for the game industry to have geniuses ?
I didn't say he was common or average, I just said he's not DaVinci.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
He's effectively the Quintin Tarantino of gaming.

He makes ideosyncratic games that demonstrate a masterful level of craft. Every game he's made is interesting, whether it's the actual absolute masterpieces (MG2, MGS1-3, MGSV:GZ, ZoE2, and PT) or the ambitious yet flawed others. He also has a fun personality that makes him interesting to follow even between games, and he's tied up in a popular underdog story involving everyone's second least-favorite publisher Konami.

Sure he gets tons of hate, but that's the mark of his work being devisive and bold rather than safe. And in a time when so many publishers are going safer and safer with AAA games, I'm glad there are a few auteurs around who will start their long-awaited gameplay-reveal with 45 seconds of the main character peeing.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
MGS1-3 are up there as one of, if not the best trilogy in video gaming. You owe it to yourself to experience them for yourself instead of asking randoms on the internet.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He pushes the boundaries and delivers extremely high quality content.
He is not perfect (See Quiet) but he always created groundbreaking games and for that I love him.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean at the time he created some of the most groundbreaking games but he is a hack when it comes to story and writing

Velka

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I grew up playing mgs 1-3 and I can say that they helped 12 year old me broaden her horizons, they are fantastic in every department though in these past years I've come to learn facts (the original design for the Boss) and look at the games with a critical eye, especially on how female characters are portrayed (the beauty and the beast unit, Quiet...). That said I still want to try Death Stranding, his games do not disappoint in the gameplay and aesthetic department at all, but the cult of personality around Kojima has reached the height of ridiculousness, yes the man has great taste in music and movies and is a great designer but he is not infallible.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
hahah, holy fucking shit
Yeah...

Would just add that his edgy, pretentious drivel hit a lot of people at just the right age, in their teen years, so as to be confused with actual brilliance.
Oh, absolutely. I thought the stuff in MGS1 and 2 was pretty "deep, for video games at least!", but I was also a teenager when MGS1 came out. I kind of cringe at that now haha.
"Curriculum" that needs to be "studied", "Auteur of the generation" (which one? gen 5? lol), I swear I can't believe what I'm reading sometimes. I'm the biggest Souls fangirl around and I still wouldn't put Miyazaki (who a far superior game creator) on a pedestal like some people here.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why everyone keeps bringing up metal gear when we all know that Zone of the Enders is the only actually good Kojima game.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
What AAA game creators is not just making a prettier copy of another game?

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I mean at the time he created some of the most groundbreaking games but he is a hack when it comes to story and writing

The man behind MGS2 which tells one of the most important stories in not just gaming but in media in general as well as MGS3 which has arguably the best video game ending ever is anything but a hack.

It's like people have forgotten what he contributed to the medium in years past.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
He's one of the very, very few auteurs of this media full of mass-produced samey games (good or bad).

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017

this is all you need.

But really, he has very clever ideas, story and game-design wise. Of course, unlike a lot of other designers, he's actually allowed to use them in his games instead of having to listen to focus groups and market analysts.

Also, watch that PT meaning explanation video. He's just brilliant.

StoryofSouls

Oct 27, 2017
east coast, usa
something that is coming off weird to me, is how a lot of people are portraying him as an egotistical wannabe rockstar.

i don't know, i just watched him on stage the other day and he seemed pretty quiet and humble.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
For better or worse, his projects are a product of a singular vision- akin to David Cage's and Fumito Ueda, instead of a design by committee, placate everyone mentality. So, when it is a hit it is a monumental and when it fails, it is a big bust.

In terms of Kojima, specifically, his team focuses a lot on (obscure) environmental details which has an impact on immersion. Furthermore, in terms of story-telling, when it is not fully dialed to crazy 11, (like it was with MGS4), it has turned out to be somewhat prophetic.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The man behind MGS2 which tells one of the most important stories in not just gaming but in media in general as well as MGS3 which has arguably the best video game ending ever is anything but a hack.

It's like people have forgotten what he contributed to the medium in years past.
No offense to you, but this thought process is precisely why some people get the impression that he's overrated. MGS2 is the Fight Club of gaming narratives; It's absolutely mind blowing and seems subversive but it's really... not. It's totally mind blowing until you give it a critical eye. For a teenager, it's a big deal and can be formative.

The fact that it got Simpson'd and seems a precursor to today's society is more coincidence than anything else.

I won't argue that the ending to MGS3 is beautifully executed, but it's a known fact that Kojima had a heavy-handed editor for MGS3.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He isn't a genius, his stories are nonsensical and dumb and MGS sucked gameplay wise until 4. MGS is the most overrated series of all time and Kojima the most overrated game designer.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I cannot deny Kojima really knows what he's doing.

As others said before, he has an impressive attention to detail. His writing is packed with reference and context. And he really does approach his games with a clear philosophy of gameplay and storytelling in mind.

However, Women will always be a huge blind-spot to him. So much so that it's seriously distracting.

Watching some cutscenes in MGS:V. he is such a good visual director, but good... god.... women are such a huge fucking blind-spot.

You have the amazing and tense camera work of the house of the devil cutscene in MGS:V then you have the slow pan over the boobs and butts of the skulls and you have to wonder if it's even the same person directing those scenes.

Oct 27, 2017
He isn't a genius, his stories are nonsensical and dumb and MGS sucked gameplay wise until 4. MGS is the most overrated series of all time and Kojima the most overrated game designer.

I may would have gone with you with 1 or 2 having only servicable gameplay. But 3 was and still is fucking brilliant, even if it's successors are clearly better.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I may would have gone with you with 1 or 2 having only servicable gameplay. But 3 was and still is fucking brilliant, even if it's successors are clearly better.

I got frequently frustrated by 3, if only because of the top-down camera angle making it hard to keep track of enemies who could spot/hear you offscreen. Apparently Subsistence added in a 3rd person angle so I might have enjoyed that more.