• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
After "Farewell sausage" and bugging the shit out of that doctor I don't know lol

I'm sure there were quite a few folks ashamed of their deeds.
ALOUcU.gif

Oh WTF I don't even remember that scene. I guess I stopped playing MGSV before that part in the story.

Jul 15, 2019
not sure tbh but metal gear solid 5 phantom pain is the only game of his i have played and that game is absolutely awful. hopefully death stranding steps up his game but even the gameplay in that looks low quality compared to the great cut scenes

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Could you elaborate on the making things about him part? Examples? I always hear this, but never saw any proof of this. Seems more like other people love to boost Kojima's ego themselves. (Keighley being a main culprit)

He injects himself into basically all of his games, he named his studio after himself, he puts his name all over all of his games, and so on and so forth.

Also, he literally named a character "Kojima might be God" in Peace Walker. Even if it's tongue-in-cheek, he does it so consistently it's gone beyond joke and into very clear ego territory.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Everytime he released a game, it was the best of the genre, best of the year and sometimes, of the generation.
His games ALWAYS pushed the medium forward.
He ALWAYS did what seemed impossible at the time of release of his games.
He always left gamers and media in awe with mastery and craftsmanship of his games.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I never liked MGS so hard for me to say. It's all he's known for.

I'd say no genius, just a whole lotta ego.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
He injects himself into basically all of his games, he named his studio after himself, he puts his name all over all of his games, and so on and so forth.

Also, he literally named a character "Kojima might be God" in Peace Walker. Even if it's tongue-in-cheek, he does it so consistently it's gone beyond joke and into very clear ego territory.
Oh ok. Fair enough. I can see how that can be seen as egotistical.

It doesn't really bother me but I can't blame others for feeling otherwise.

My main gripe with Kojima personally is the way he ditched Hayter for Sutherland without even giving David a heads up.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
His creativity is only excelled by his attention to detail. He's always worked within a larger corporation, following their wishes for the series when he can. DS represents the first game that is truly his own, and he answers to no one, so he can do just about anything he wants. The way he connects gameplay, story, and the mundane from so many points in a story Is something that hardly anyone else takes the time to do.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
There is a crazy attention to detail in his games that a lot of other productions lack. The story is usually off the wall stupid, but in an endearing way, and the world is crafted in a way that makes you want to look at every nook and cranny.

Him and his team spend a lot of time building games that are different on purpose and it's great.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could tell you because, you see, I've come to understand the truth of the Death Stranding.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, part of it is just that Kojima's ego is such that he's spent 20 years cultivating a cult of personality that no other gaming auteurs have ever really come close to. Will Wright probably contributed more to gaming on the whole than Kojima did, but Kojima constantly makes things about him.
You cannot do that if your games aren't consistently good.
Ask every other gaming auteur who over promised and under delivered and got nailed to the cross for it.
Will Wright hasn't made a game in a decade after Spore.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Over the top insanity that would make a shonen Protag blush pretty much with interesting voice direction.

Oct 27, 2017

Right, the way he always put his name in MGSV before the start of every mission was particularly outputting. Imagine if Miyamoto put his name in big text at the start of every Mario stage he helped with.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
There's not much to explain honestly. He's a genius in the same way people claim George Lucas is a genius.

He made a pretty solid PlayStation trilogy and everything after that has been lesser than the games before it.

Oct 25, 2017
It just was,
until MGSV where it feels like he got so full of himself that is why Konami fired him.

dude mad multiple games i'd say are the best of all time but after MGSV I don't trust him to make Death Stranding anything but a self-masturbation with a hint of something deeper.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Kojima consistently putting his name out everywhere is his true genius, he's become one of the last "rockstar devs" where just putting his name on a box insures sales.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
To me, it's his attention to detail with regard to gameplay and his willingness to fuck with the player's head. You can't really anticipate where he is going, and its exciting to kind of go down that road a bit.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Basically its a load of fanboy wank. That's about as straight forward as I can put it.

I find it hilarious that people here who are always so vocal otherwise are more than willing to turn a blind eye for him, I guess because his games are coming exclusively to their platform of choice, or for some other reason?

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
He is easily one of the greatest game developers of all time. His games have gameplay ideas others don't even dream of coming up with. He is a master of game design, a master of how gameplay mechanics should interact with a world, a master of creating exciting action moments, a master of developing intricate gameplay systems and the creator of many of the greatest boss battles of all time.

Every MGS game was an evolution, so many franchises get hung up on doing one thing over and over, his games were always truly unique and in many ways groundbreaking. MG2 and MGS has interactions that just make sense and work as they should but so many games never think to get right. Foot prints in the snow, having elements of the game needing you to find something in the real world, the use of every feature on a console and controller to create memorable moments.

His games have surprises on top of surprises. In MGS3 the amount of hidden systems puts to shame other games. You can use the radio to heal or call an air strike. You can overheat guards talking about weapons caches and blow up that cache and later in the game enemies now have worse weapons because you did so. Bosses have so many unique ways to approach them.

He is a master of gameplay pacing, constantly throwing new mechanics and situations at the player. MGS4 playing one way for half a game then going off on a huge curveball (I know some didn't like it but I loved it), no you are in an epic bike chase that you play, epic metal gear battle that you play, mashing the controller to stay alive; he keeps the player playing the most memorable moments in the story. The final 3 hours of MGS3 are the greatest final hours of any game in history, it's still not topped because of how many varied situations are stacked one on top of another with the story hitting the climax in perfect harmony.

Then we have MGSV which is unfinished, has many problems but the gameplay is unmatched. It controls like a dream, it has options galore and even though it's a lot more spaced out it still has those surprising moments.

His games have a certain quality to them that is a signature, you can tell it's a kojima game, very few game directors have that. His track record is nearly perfect, each MGS game is a masterpiece in its own way.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It just was,
until MGSV where it feels like he got so full of himself that is why Konami fired him.

dude mad multiple games i'd say are the best of all time but after MGSV I don't trust him to make Death Stranding anything but a self-masturbation with a hint of something deeper.
They fired him because he didn't want to move on to milking the mobile games market.

Zeshile

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Kansas
The critical close up videos by Super Bunny Hop are pretty good, but you should really play the games.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure, he's just a crazy dude that makes awesome video games. I love him for it.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
He's undeniably a genius game designer but it's become clear over time that his writing isn't great. It was mostly Fukushima and the localisation teams that made the stories of MGS1-3 as great as they were. Although I still love the weird tone and meta commentary of Kojima's work which is why Death Stranding has still been my most anticipated game of the past few years. My favourite thing about him though is that he's one of the few big time game creators who try to innovate and elevate the storytelling potential of the medium.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Bro did you see his latest reveal of his masterpiece?! You can PEE! climb up AND down cliff sides. So fucking Intriguing!

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe its ability, maybe its luck but his games are able to get away with having all the AAA features you expect along with providing a budget to all the insane shit only indy devs can get away with.

Almost nobody in the industry can pull that off

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
His incredible attention to detail and MGS 1-3. I've been disappointed by recent offerings though. Even though I have the collectors edition of Death Stranding pre-ordered it looks extremely underwhelming thus far. Still waiting to be impressed. For a long time if it was a Hideo Kojima game I was blindly all in. Not so much anymore.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
This is a real question and one I've failed to grasp. It seems like his genius is tied to overly convoluted storytelling, fan service characters (Quiet, especially), and great gameplay.

I'll fully acknowledge the great gameplay portion of it as being a reason for his high profile.

Ozymandias

Jun 9, 2018
I think his writing sucks mostly. He had Fukushima reigning him in on MGS 1 to 3, and then everything after you can clearly see he isn't that good writing. But, everything else, including gameplay, he is pretty good. MGS V is, for me, the most incredible sand box that ever was created. It just works so well, and its a shame the game is kinda ruined by the story and writing. So given Death Stranding doesn't seem to have the gameplay of MGS, I am keeping my expectations in check. Maybe he has co-writers, I have no idea, but I don't have my hopes up for the story and writing itself. The themes should be great anyway and whatever the gameplay is, I'm sure it will be good. MGS V good, not so sure.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Kojima has pretty consistently pushed gameplay in new and exciting ways. I still remember the first time I played Metal Gear Solid, I can't really express how damn amazing it was and so far ahead of its time it felt. My friend and I were playing through Resident Evil and when we saw that game in Target we dropped Resident Evil straight away. Metal Gear Solid was a very popular game from what I remember and he only built on that with each passing game.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazen titillation and writing that appears deep and meaningful on the surface, tied to games that dip into stealth mechanics just enough to be accessible yet engaging to the masses.