• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Found this very neutral title on an article and I have high doubts it could happen. I think by the time PS5 is outmiddle budget computers will already be way more powerful by a margin.The price of the console would also rocket and I don't know if people would be ready to pay 800 for a console.

There is a lot of speculation in the article but I thought it could be interesting to debate the idea, if anything to explain why it seems unlikely.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
lol

(no it's not happening, as you say. someone speculates something will die every time a new console cycle comes around and they're always wrong)

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol no. It's not only about the hardware. Steam (just an example, other platform lovers don't jump on me) is one of the biggest reasons PC gaming is a thing.

Also, many people use their PCs for other stuff too, things which a console cannot replace currently (e.g. work).

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Not unless the PS5 happens to be a laptop with upgradeable components.

Edit: Holy shit that article has so many gold nuggets. It's as if the author has never experienced a console generation shift before.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
let's say ps5 kills the pc gaming industry

then amd and nvidia lose the brunt of their purpose for GPU rnd, meaning no gpu for a new console

which would kill the console industry

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell what a shit article that is.

The graphics card is better than some pc graphics cards so PC=dead?

Somebody got paid for writing that article.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 is just locked down PC anyways, So yes, as in, PS5 will self-destruct. That makes sense...

wild_one

Oct 27, 2017
PC is a moving target, whereas any PS generation is a fixed target. It will never stay ahead.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
By the time the PS5 is released, it'll already have outdated CPU/GPU so no.

I guess the article writer didnt consider the fact that technology in regards to computers overall improves yearly..not every 7-10 years like consoles.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
RkkN.gif

Jan 21, 2019
I bet this thread is gonna go over well.

My two cents, I bet a bunch of people will see the appeal of a 500€ 10tf machine without hassle and get one until PC parts become cheaper in a way that you can outperform consoles cheaply. Current gen has really skewed views since it was outdated tech out of the gate but ryzen 2 and rdna 2 are much stronger than AMDs 2012 production line. So yeah, I bet people won't be able to max out next gen exclusive games easily. (But cross gen titles will make the transition for mid range pc gamers easier. In two years, every pc might need an nvme pcie4 to play modern games.)

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
This article, like many console gamers, works under the completely misguided assumption that PC Gaming is only about hardware specs

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Will this walled garden where you have to do what Sony tells you destroy an ENTIRE industry that has multiple uses outside of gaming, is used to make games and has the more powerful hardware?

Sure jan

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
Obviously not. But if It's made well it could win back some people who switched to PC. And that's it.

What is it with new generations and these ludicrous opinion pieces that plop up all over the web, propagating scenarios the authors must know will never happen?

Oct 28, 2017
I think I'd go insane if I was relegated to playing just console games. Can't mod the hardware (well, you can but its extremely limiting), can't mod the games (again, there's an extremely limited amount that let you, so its very not worth it), much less variety in games, no emulation without hacks that render platform features useless, etc etc etc.

Just countless reasons that PC gamers play on PC which these kinds of articles absolutely skip by on because they consider games hardware to be just for playing games on, no further user input necessary.

Oct 25, 2017
It's just common sense that PC will always be better if you want more power and more options. And the difference may be even more noticeable this coming generation than it is the current one, as I don't expect PS5/Xbox Two to do much in terms of RT. At best, console RT will still be a ways off from what something like the 2080 can do, never mind the 2080 Ti and upcoming 7nm cards.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
So does it have like, an ungated global mod scene, quality games at any price range, a choice of operating systems and interchangeable hardware, native development tools and the ability for anyone to just go on the internet and download quality freeware games from decades of indie development history?