• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Nothing ever really lives up to this place's expectations.

Maybe a big surprise game, like RE8, Silent Hills, or Dead Space: BC could shake things up.

Avenger

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
Demon Souls and Bloodborne system sellers? Figured they were a bit hard for average consumer

Oct 28, 2017
Yes it was. Go back to the E3 2013 thread back on NeoGAF, or simple yet - google E3 2013 KH3 reaction.

People expect a new 3D Zelda on a regular basis, yet Twilight Princess announcement was still one of the hottest E3 reactions ever.
Because TP was what many Zelda fans wanted ever since the fabled space world trailer and then we got wind water. TP was basically Nintendo saying they were sorry and gave us what we were promised. It was a huge moment. I remember it well.

May 13, 2018
The reveal can be E3 2016 conference levels and people would still be disappointed. People have extremely high expectations for Sony

BKLorenzo

Banned
Mar 17, 2020
People have extremely high expectations for Sony because they have been perfect the whole generation.

I feel they have delivered the best exclusive games generation I can remember.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I never assume that any launch lineup is good. The last one I was honestly excited for was Mario 64. Everything else can wait.

On a side note, since Astro Bot is Playstations unofficial mascot right now (sorry Knack), I wonder if Studio Japan would ever make a Non VR version/sequel of that game for launch. That would sell like hotcakes.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Y'all really think a 2-3 million selling IP like Bloodborne will be enough for the GEE PEE?

tenor.gif

thematic

Oct 31, 2017
hopefully they also come up with smart delivery for Xbox Series X and Xbox One backward compatibility (free patch for upgraded visual)

i don't want to purchase the same game for PS5 with minimal upgrades

Mar 19, 2020
Part of me wonders if both Sony and Microsoft's final, big hitter presentations will underwhelm on the hype people have for them right now. I wouldn't have any question about this if the world was normal, but now that everyone has been stuck at home for months expectations have swelled way beyond what they otherwise would be. Plus, I wonder how not staging these in conference form will affect perception. Subtle things like the crowd going wild to see a bearded Kratos certainly help sell, at least subconsciously, that many other people are hyped and so should you! Like a band revealing a new song at a concert versus you listening to the studio recording at home. That's not to say both Sony and Microsoft won't have amazing things to show, I'm just curious if people will feel like there's something missing in the end no matter what is revealed.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
A Playstation 5 reveal with a FF16 surprise announcement would literally make my year.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
The expectations of gaming enthusiasts are so high these days that meeting them is almost impossible. I actually feel sorry for the people burdened with that task.

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
For the simple fact that everything on Sony's end is still a mystery, I would say yes I'm pretty hyped to see what they have to offer in terms of the systems UI and games

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sony has a huge seller in TLOU2 and they don't want to hurt it at all by making you think next gen is here already.

I think the delays in TLOU2 probably delayed their plans somewhat.

Ultimately the timing these consoles are shown is only for enthusiasts. Once were closer to release the lineups performance and price will determine where people go and not if they showed games in May or June
This is exactly what has happened.

Oct 30, 2017
Demon Souls, Silent Hill, Horizon 2, Housemarque new IP etc... yes they can as long as they reveal what they have for the first year of the ps5.

I would announce everything for the next 2 to 3 years with trailers, but only show game play for the games that are coming out within the year.

But I dont mind seeing things early knowing we will get updates later on. Many would probably complain about it.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Will Horizon ZD2 be a launch game? If yes, it will live up to expectations.
If not, I can't think of another game that will get me super excited.
But who knows what surprises Sony has planned. I'm ready to find out though.

I dont think day 1 but it should be within the first 6-8 months. Id say no later than Q2 2021.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
The expectations of gaming enthusiasts are so high these days that meeting them is almost impossible. I actually feel sorry for the people burdened with that task.

Everytime they announce a nintendo direct everyone is going crazy and 90% of the time they left disappointed :D

Kinda the same thing happening here. People want everything to be announced at this event, Its not gonna happen

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Also Sony had much more compelling software this gen, both in quantity and quality, so they can gain the most by showing a bunch of current gen games running at 4k60fps and with next to no loading times. Microsoft doesn't really have that ace to play.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I'm not looking for much, just a few nice looking exclusives that make me think "hey that looks like something I should buy."

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
With the amount of buzz Sony has been generating on social media, in terms of current and nextgen, it really doesn't feel like they're being silent. Every time they do something for PS5 it has resulted in waves of positive discussion and anticipation. I think they have, or had, a set plan for how and when to reveal things, and covid has made them have to navigate around that.

They'll probably have success whenever they reveal PS5 software.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
if they had done it earlier in the year, sure. but it is becoming less likely by the minute. especially considering the fact that two of their three most prestigious studios are about to release stuff for current gen, and the next god of war is probably still too early in production to show.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Black background and that simple white font "Sony Interactive Entertainment presents".

Then people's eyes will start to melt.
That's the thing...as soon as those words fade in you know technology and production levels are going to be really high.

They are going to be traditionally Sony.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Sony should have done a blowout right after Microsoft's recent misstep if their ho hum reveal. If they wait too long Microsoft will show off their first party holy shit stuff first and that initial reveal will be forgotten.

All that said I don't think it really matters hugely in the grand scheme of things when they do it. I continue to think a large part of their patience comes from wanting attention to remain put on Last of Us 2 and Ghosts. MS is in a hurry to move on from this generation because it hasn't been great for them. I don't think Sony wants to do that as much yet.

I also think Sony really wants to be second in a lot of ways when it comes to unveiling things (I think both have their advantages).

Just my quick thoughts. I do hope next show whether it's MS or Sony it's really showing a bit more of what the consoles can do. Somehow the hype went from what a leap this generation will be to a bunch of people saying if that's what it looks like I'll wait.

Sep 14, 2018
Nothing will live to Era's expectations lol, "This again?", "Doesn't look next gen", "They could do this on PS4...", "I think I'm done with gaming, this sealed the deal".

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Demon Souls and Bloodborne system sellers? Figured they were a bit hard for average consumer
Demon's Souls people are severely overestimating how much consoles it can move. It's a weird-ass game and hard. It's still an exciting game and good for their portfolio and From fans especially would want to dip into that. What's gonna really move consoles for them are sequels to 10m+ sellers like Horizon and hopefully some exciting new IP's.

Jesb

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Just show real gameplay and we're good. Do what you did when you showed off killzone shadowfall and infamous. But not what they did with bs target renders they did with Killzone in 2005.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of The Witness, every game revealed at PSMeeting2013 was rushed and didn't live up to their promise. I kind of expect the same for the PS5 reveal.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Xbox has capitalized on Sony's silence pretty well. While Sony is still promoting its current-gen console, Xbox is blowing up everything they have to promote their next-gen console, services, and titles.

I dont think we can say as a fact that Xbox has capitalized on Sony's silence.
And while its true that Sony still promoting their current gen console, I mean they have huge games coming to it while MS doesnt, once they are done with PS4 they are done and its next gen time. On other hand MS is focusing on next gen but will continue on the current one for some time.
As I said in the Aaron Greenberg apology thread ( is that capitalizing ? ) MS just had a glimpse of awaits them with their cross gen consumer friendly strategy.
Anyway regarding Sony line up it all comes down to what expectations each one has but one thing Im sure when they come out to say "take a first look on next gen titles" you will see next gen, real next gen, titles.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Well, if they show the rumored Ratchet game, Demon's Souls / the Bluepoint game, a peak at Horizon 2 (or any other of the big sequels) and maybe 1 or 2 completely new games they're certainly gonna live up to my personal expectations.

In general though? No, probably not

Oct 24, 2019
Sony's first party studios are some of the best in the industry, so uhh... yeah. I think it's safe to say their next gen reveal will be good.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Probably not. I am real curious what new IPs they're gonna bring to their launch line up.

New HZD etc. is expected and will be cool, but I'm kinda more interested in what new stuff they come up with.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
It's kind of hard to gauge what expectations are generally speaking. There's a lot of hand-wringing about how long it's taking to know things and reading too much into developer tweets. Yet it seems like every poll about how well the PS5 is going to do in certain aspects (both on its own and versus XSX) is always really positive. My expectations are set to "pretty good I guess". I think they'll do a big blowout next month and then maybe start doing State of Plays again afterwards. They'll probably even have teasers for games that clearly aren't coming out anytime soon, and your mileage may vary with those. I guess they could try to counter the Xbox Game Studios stuff in July, and maybe that throws off their June event, but I doubt it.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
I think disappointment will be hard to avoid for both Xbox and PS5, but given the fact there is a global pandemic going on, I will be happy to receive my launch day console, the 1 or 2 first party games that will manage to ship, and just shut up and be happy with what I've got, or will have, rather.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I have no doubt that they will, they probably don't even have to try to, the dev teams will take advantage of it on their own. More room to breath without having to make the game work on PS4, and their devs already make machines they work on sing.

Heck Spider-Man 2029 can be a feature of the next Spider-Man game, which... get this, could be a Spider-Verse! Time travel instantly, gliding, Miles doing parkour with his web slinging like Into The Spider-Verse. Oh boy.

That's a great idea. I think switching between game states is one of the most obvious and tangible ways to show off the benefits of the SSD in the PS5. Just imagine rips in the multiverse popping up as you swing through the city and whenever you enter you're instantly in a different Spider-Man universe. Or you take the idea of the Shattered Dimensions but allow the player to freely switch between realities to solve puzzles.

Even just the idea of swinging through the city and having the ability to phase shift to different realities to avoid something like flying debris sounds like a ton of fun.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
You'd want to believe they will wanna take advantage of Microsoft's recent flop and make up for the previous Cerny talk. They should come out all guns blazing.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Here's what we saw at Playstation Meeting 2013:

- Knack
- Killzone: Shadow Fall
- Infamous Second Son
- Drive Club
- Destiny
- The Witness
- Deep Down :(
- Watch Dogs
- Diablo 3

give me some Knack 3 and Horizon 2 and we're golden

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
They won't blow their load, but I think it could be a great event.

I'm sure they have a ton of stuff to show, starting with the design of the PS5 itself.

Oct 28, 2017
They have the pedigry, they have a whole bunch of studios that have been preparing for the new gen since 2017 and they have the IP that people are clamoring for. A single big first IP reveal is all it takes. But I expect more then one :)

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
You'd want to believe they will wanna take advantage of Microsoft's recent flop and make up for the previous Cerny talk. They should come out all guns blazing.

MS still have 1st party round coming up and it's what Sony's line up has to stand up to. At end of the day they could be trading blows if both have solid 1st party SW on offer, could blur the line for some and make it less obvious which to go for first.