• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously if your dog is afraid check out the Thundershirt. It really works. I call it the Thunderskirt cause my pups are females. They do not even get frightened anymore, and I don't have to use it after a few years.

Didn't help my dog but this thing really worked for my mothers Labrador. Went from shaking in fear at every bang to sleeping peacefully, it can work wonders. They are worth a try

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
caVOwOK.jpg
Lmao

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Illegally lighting fireworks is always a problem. But the OP doesn't explicitly concern illegal fireworks, and it is perfectly legal to use fireworks in many states. Most people will be conforming to legal uses of fireworks as well, so I'm not sure where the illegal part even comes in? I haven't seen anyone championing the illegal use of fireworks, have you?

There are people saying that other's lighting off fireworks at 2-3 am are fine and you should just accept it. Well, that is illegal in almost every major city. I apologize if we were in agreement and you think that is also unacceptable. It might be we were just talking past eachother.

Aiustis

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cybertronic Purgatory
I hate hate fireworks. I've always hated fireworks. I literally have panic attacks when I hear them, without fail even when I'm wearing earplugs. I used to get dragged to firework shows as a kid, I would clamp my hands on my ears sit with my head between my legs to minimize the effect it had on me, but it never really worked well. Also when I was a kid there are hella pictures of me with my hands clamped over my ears because I was terrified of all flashes of light.

Coffee

Oct 27, 2017
Malmö
If you are over the age of 12 and still light fireworks then you are pathetic. This ain't some gandalf shit going on, it's the same loud and boring looking shit every year. Doesn't help that people can't help throwing it weeks before and after NYE.

macapala

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People who complain about fireworks on the 4th Of July and NYE always baffle me.
Because our tax dollars are wasted on these elaborate fireworks displays that are completely forgotten the very next day.

I feel bad for people who live in countries where fireworks are legal and have to put up with people setting them off in the streets. Thank god they're banned in Australia.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
If you are over the age of 12 and still light fireworks then you are pathetic. This ain't some gandalf shit going on, it's the same loud and boring looking shit every year. Doesn't help that people can't help throwing it weeks before and after NYE.
3e3.jpg

I'm 33 and still like fireworks. The stuff they sell these days is for babies anyway. In the early 90s we had huge bombs and shit, then they banned them in Finland sigh..

Toxicgonzo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Who doesn't like fireworks?

But to be fair, it's more fun to light them off than to watch them in a show.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Some guy I went to high school once tried this, he lit one in his asshole, long story shot, he needed reconstructive surgery for his perineal area.

Oct 25, 2017
I am well past the age of liking it as well, but with no recourse from it.

Holiday vacation are really expensive for a reason, I guess.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
One of my cats has been hiding under the couch for the past hour and the other spend fifteen minutes running from one side of the apartment to the other, unable to find a comfortable safe space since the banging is on both sides. I couldn't do anything to calm her, I felt so bad for the little thing.

On a personal level I don't think I've ever really enjoyed fireworks, even as a kid they were only mildly interesting to me. By the time I was a teenager I had already started hating the month of December being filled with my peers setting off heavy fireworks they purchased in Belgium that were long banned in The Netherlands. It went bang, big whoop. Seemed like a waste of money to me. Destroying property was -and remains ever more so- the secondary use and that is pretty much the reason I feel fireworks for consumer use should be a thing of the past soon. If not for that, then at the very least to stop the many deaths and (self-inflicted) injuries they cause each year.

I'm all for a big fireworks show to replace the current system, cheaper, prettier, and above all, much safer.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with the OP. My sleeping one year old has just been woken up to a gang of fuckwits setting off fireworks in the street between parked cars. It looks and sounds like a war zone here (town in the south east, UK). Had to call the police it was getting that bad.

Great start to the new year. :-/ So yeah, fuck fireworks if they're not properly organised public displays and even then, would be more than happy to go without.

Last edited:

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
Me likey big boom, it loud and flashy! I've seen assholes throw these "huge bombs" at stray cats for fun, so fuck that shit.

Jesus fucking christ. Never thought I'd see the day where people think they're above everyone because they don't like fireworks and that anyone that does is a caveman.

Get the fuck off your high horse.

Nemo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2018 is barely starting and here we are...

Please keep it civil everyone. There's a lot of people with pets and there's a lot of people without pets. A little empathy both ways are good. Thanks.

On topic: I am a person with pets and though pets can have a troublesome night during fireworks on new year's eve, it's also an occasion that could have been anticipated. It's the sudden fireworks and/or local neighbours' lighting strange explosive and loud stuff that's more of a problem for my household. Other than that, I keep my pets indoors and calmed on NYE, because I understand that my neighbours are not out to actually be troublesome. They are just people who wants to have fun and be merry.

I don't think empathy needs to go "both ways". It's literally 2 or 3 nights in an entire year. You have 362 days of peace otherwise, so complaining about it seems really short-sighted.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My dad had a lunatic friend in the 70's who used to drive around on a motorcycle lighting firecrackers off his joint, and he straight blew his fingers off. I also know a kid who accidentally set a decent-sized forest fire with a bottle rocket.

Big professional shows can be cool enough to offset how obnoxious fireworks are, but I never want to be around some rando lighting off cheap fireworks again. I can't count how many times I've watched someone light one and immediately panic and point it at people, or knock it over trying to get away. My own uncle got drunk and shot a decent-sized rocket between me and my cousin, and I felt that motherfucker graze my hair on the way by.

I also think amateur fireworks are probably the biggest hassle to animals because you end up with people randomly blowing them up for like a month after the holiday, depending on where you live.

giphy.gif

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think empathy needs to go "both ways". It's literally 2 or 3 nights in an entire year. You have 362 days of peace otherwise, so complaining about it seems really short-sighted.
Theoretically, the Purge is also a single night of a year. That would theoretically suck for anyone that got murdered on that day.

Annoyances being shush-material just because they only exist on a few days is some stupid shit.

Also, nobody looks at fireworks on NYE and says "Oh God, this is the rest of my life now. What hath god wrought? How can I repent!?" It's not short-sighted, it's very specifically sighted. The people's reactions aren't the problem; the pets' reactions are.

Super edit because I missed the OP amongst everything else: this is the most Darwinian shit. If you want to light fireworks near to and possibly partially within your body, have fun with whatever stupid injury you inflict upon yourself, dipshit.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Get over it, it's twice a year Fourth of July and New Years.
It doesn't matter what time of the year it is, sticking explosives of any size up your ass is something doctors look down on.

But then, medical professionals also would recommend against firing metal off into each others' bodies, but America gonna America. Y'all can't be expected to make smart decisions on your own.

Heath V

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter what time of the year it is, sticking explosives of any size up your ass is something doctors look down on.

But then, medical professionals also would recommend against firing metal off into each others' bodies, but America gonna America. Y'all can't be expected to make smart decisions on your own.

Nice stealth bash America comment. And I feel that you and I are talking about two separate things. But carry on I look forward to lighting fireworks with my family shortly.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Nice stealth bash America comment. And I feel that you and I are talking about two separate things. But carry on I look forward to lighting fireworks with my family shortly.
Okay, have fun. Just make sure that anyone who lights them moves away before they go off. Those mofos blow the eff up immediately sometimes.

And don't put them in your butt. Hopefully that should be self-evident.

(The America bash wasn't stealth)

Heath V

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, have fun. Just make sure that anyone who lights them moves away before they go off. Those mofos blow the eff up immediately sometimes.

And don't put them in your butt. Hopefully that should be self-evident.

(The America bash wasn't stealth)

Thank you for your concern. I don't let my kids light them as you're right, they can be very dangerous. And like you said they can go off immediately sometimes, that's why right when I light them I run away.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
so although Im enjoying the fireworks, my dog has gone into hiding in her crate, in which she has not stepped foot in since like feb. she is not moving either. Even 4th of july wasnt that bad.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Combination freezing cold and heavy winds mean no one is lighting any fireworks off! 2018 off to a great start!

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Doing that can be dangerous
LVgx6XN.gif

Much better to use them responsibly, away from pets
gwcOxT8.gif

Wouldn't want to get arrested would you?
0TmgSXH.gif

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Did you just compare a night of flashy fireworks to the Purge?

lel
No, I compared sticking fireworks up one own's ass to the Purge. If that isn't self-enforced Purgism, I don't fucking know what is, you know, aside from darwinism. I did that mostly because the idea that I got from the timing of previous posts could be summarized as "lol fuck your pets its only a couple nights a year" as though only a couple nights of the year presenting weird terror to an animal that doesn't understand is okay just because it's only a couple. (Also there was a not subtle undercurrent of attacking previously-presented American exceptionalism which the Purge also does [in its own kinda bad way], so I was doing a silly thing two-fold there).

Fireworks themselves are fine. If you want to attempt to blow them up as relatively safely as you can away from pets and small children that may not understand what the fuck the loud bangs are, be my guest. Have fun. Happy New Year

Edit: ^^ Those are very good/bad gifs. Never saw the one of the Arrested Dog before. Saving that shit

DiscoPizza

Oct 25, 2017
Some jerks around here start doing fireworks in June and don't stop until August. Randomly throughout the day and night. One of my sister's neighbors lost their house and cats last summer because of a stray firework from some assholes across the street from them. I wish they were regulated. It's after 1am and I just heard some more. My dog is a wreck. Ugh.

HaNotsri

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes you can! I've actually seen it, a guy put a pipe in his butt and used it to launch a rocket.

If you put a rocket directly in your butt make sure you're lubed enough so it doesn't get stuck.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
If people did it on New Years and July 4th exclusively, it wouldn't be a problem. The real issue is that these assholes start on Christmas and shoot them off until February, and then they start again in June through August. As it stands, I can't sleep with my windows open during the coolest week of the year, and that's fucked.

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
A bump to notify that nothing fucking changed.
Fuck fireworks.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fireworks are great for large, organised events at specific times of year. Letting the general public have access to low-yield explosives is just fucking stupid for so many reasons.